The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Microboom extension for coincident mic recording
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Microboom extension for coincident mic recording

Hi all. I use a combination of ORTF and M/S for the primary stereo mic pair for recording various orchestra, band, and choral ensembles around a college campus. Although I use the skinny Manfroto stands, small coincent shock-mount clips, and various capsule combinations on Neumann KM100-series mics, I consistently field complaints from the video guys about my "huge" mics in the shots. I also have a few Audix 12255S capsules with different microboom lengths for spot mics or when choral group PA support is needed. What I am wondering is if Neumann, Schoeps, etc, make a similar long, extension tube for dual capsules and / or 3/8' threaded for a dual mic shock mount with two mic pigtails? I'm not finding anything so far.

Thanks.
-D
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I remember seeing this on Tapersection....

Login
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
For tele in the UK Schopes reign supreme
They use extension tubes and double mic but its only low level in vis use
Everything out of vis is slung
This is a tedious bore but the only solution
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtube View Post
I consistently field complaints from the video guys about my "huge" mics in the shots.
-D
Tell 'em to find another freakin' shot!!

D.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Tell 'em to find another freakin' shot!!

D.
Speaking of which we now provide videography service for concerts we audio record and have never had any problems setting up with our microphones and recording the video. When we use to coexist with the videographer they always complained about our microphones being in the shots. They always wanted a head on wide shot and never ever considered moving their cameras right or left to get a better shot. My degree is in RTV and I understand setting up for TV but some of the videographers we worked with seem to have only one way of doing things and did not want to look for more creative ways of video recording the concerts. NOT GOOD! Being a "one trick pony" never seems to be a good thing. Why can videographers think a bit outside the box?

FWIW
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Well, the sad thing is that my non-music career has been in radio, TV, Production, and RF engineering dating back to 1989-ish. So I am somewhat sensitive to complaints from the vidiots (and, in all fairness, I get called an audiot by them). But, the show would be fine with one good camera pointed at the stage for the whole thing; but without the audio support, anyone with an ear (especially those in the ensemble) are going to be very displeased with me.

Harkening back to an earlier reply, the dual extension tubes mic be my best bet. I already have some support pieces from the Audix microboom stuff. I'll just need the Neumann double clamps and thier extension tubes and I'm in business. Or, I jump over to Shoeps parts/capsules to add to the mic locker.

Thanks for the replies.
-D
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
. When we used to coexist with the videographer they always complained about our microphones being in the shots. They always wanted a head on wide shot and never ever considered moving their cameras right or left to get a better shot. My degree is in RTV and I understand setting up for TV but some of the videographers we worked with seem to have only one way of doing things and did not want to look for more creative ways of video recording the concerts.

FWIW
I've worked crews where they set the exact same shots year in and year out purely for convenience (aaaannnd maybe some laziness). I agree with your observations completely.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Last video shoot of a contemporary premiere had a very understanding DP who even recognised a MS rig!
We had a good chat re new cameras and technique and open mic classic recording
He shot double cam on the same eyeline and never questioned mic placement....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search