The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 mics for 3 flutes -- best positioning/selection?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

2 mics for 3 flutes -- best positioning/selection?

I'm mixing a live show next week where one of the numbers will be a light rock piece (the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations", to be exact) where we'll be featuring a 3-piece flute section (including one piccolo). We'll be recording the concert.

The stage will be crowded with singers and players, so I'm going to ask the flute players to sit in a tight huddle toward one side of the stage. I was planning to use a stereo pair of mics on the three players, start with something like XY with the mics placed a bit above the players and equidistant from the three players.

Does this sound workable, both in terms of getting usable live sound (won't need a lot of level, just a little presence -- it's a small room) and recording? One other possibility would be to put the two flutes on one mic and the piccolo on a mic of its own, which would allow a little more control over the relative balance of the piccolo in the mix.

Also, the microphones I would probably be using here would be either AT4040s or EV ND468s -- neither of them ideal, I realize, but I don't have a lot of stereo pairs available. Of those two, which would you recommend for this?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search