The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 mics for 3 flutes -- best positioning/selection? Condenser Microphones
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

2 mics for 3 flutes -- best positioning/selection?

I'm mixing a live show next week where one of the numbers will be a light rock piece (the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations", to be exact) where we'll be featuring a 3-piece flute section (including one piccolo). We'll be recording the concert.

The stage will be crowded with singers and players, so I'm going to ask the flute players to sit in a tight huddle toward one side of the stage. I was planning to use a stereo pair of mics on the three players, start with something like XY with the mics placed a bit above the players and equidistant from the three players.

Does this sound workable, both in terms of getting usable live sound (won't need a lot of level, just a little presence -- it's a small room) and recording? One other possibility would be to put the two flutes on one mic and the piccolo on a mic of its own, which would allow a little more control over the relative balance of the piccolo in the mix.

Also, the microphones I would probably be using here would be either AT4040s or EV ND468s -- neither of them ideal, I realize, but I don't have a lot of stereo pairs available. Of those two, which would you recommend for this?

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

A couple of thoughts. If any of the players are duplicating parts, just mic the best two players directly. Gives a bunch of control.

Assuming that they all have different parts to play, of the two mics you listed - I'd go with the 4040s. I'm not sure I'd go with XY unless you can somehow manage the massively wide pickup of cards in XY to not pick up a bunch of other instruments on stage. You're probably better off doing an AB pair and situating the players/mics so that the each mic is in btw 2 players and that the backs of the mic face everything else. Use the mics pattern to avoid picking up more than you need.

I've not used the ND468, but it's a supercard dynamic. I'm not sure how well a dynamic would work on flute unless it was jammed in close (and even then I wonder how well it would work). And if you need 2 mics to cover 3 people, this might be a problem.

I've periodically recorded jazz big bands with a 3 person flute section. I've used small pencil cardiod (and occasionally subcard) condenser mics to pick them up and block the what's behind the mics. Flutes were positions on the side of the ensemble in order to do this. I used Schoeps MK5 and MK21s with success. The trick is in positioning so you're not picking up a bunch of other stuff.

-Tom
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
One other possibility would be to put the two flutes on one mic and the piccolo on a mic of its own...
I'd do that, and point the flute(s) mic away from the piccolo if possible. Sometimes a little piccolo goes a long way.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'd do that, and point the flute(s) mic away from the piccolo if possible. Sometimes a little piccolo goes a long way.
Thanks, this seems intuitively like a smart approach. I have a feeling the piccolo will need very little help from the PA in that room, while the flutes might need a bit more.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Thanks, this seems intuitively like a smart approach. I have a feeling the piccolo will need very little help from the PA in that room, while the flutes might need a bit more.
Piccolos are one of those things where you may wish you had an "anti-mic" to turn it down.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Piccolos are one of those things where you may wish you had an "anti-mic" to turn it down.
add bagpipes...
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anti-mic...like anti-matter. That's great; I'm going to remember that for future use!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search