The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AEA ribbon mic Dynamic Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
New AEA ribbon mic

AEA launch KU54 supercardioid ribbon mic |
Kind of breaks a few rules.....?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
AEA launch KU54 supercardioid ribbon mic |
Kind of breaks a few rules.....?
beautiful sounding vocal even with being rick rolled
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Very nice
Old 2 weeks ago
It's going to be a serious game changer... I've been beta testing it for the past year (and contributed a little to the physical design). I describe it as the characteristic of a 44, the size of an SM7 and the rejection of a 58. Here's a recent shoot I did with it: YouTube

I also directed the launch film for it: YouTube

We'll have a bunch of new performance videos featuring the mic released soon.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

At USD$1000 I can imagine there will be a lot of interest in the KU5A. Will be interesting to try one out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sounded great to me, I pre ordered one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This looked like a great option to spot strings. But, I looked at the FR graph, which indicates that in the free field, bass rolls off at 500 hz or so. So, as long as one doesn't care about the bottom three strings of of violin...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawee View Post
This looked like a great option to spot strings. But, I looked at the FR graph, which indicates that in the free field, bass rolls off at 500 hz or so. So, as long as one doesn't care about the bottom three strings of of violin...
I believe that's with the HPF engaged. These things have significant proximity effect, even at typical "desk spot" distances. I'm guessing the HPF will prove useful on cello and bass.
Old 1 week ago
Is there a printed frequency response plot or any other tech info available? Or is it another "trust me, it sounds great" product?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Is there a printed frequency response plot or any other tech info available? Or is it another "trust me, it sounds great" product?
It's on their website.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

..and downloadable:

https://www.aearibbonmics.com/wp-con...anual-Rev1.pdf

Quote:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It only goes to 200 Hz...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Geez, Jim. When was the last time that AEA produced anything that didn’t sound great? KU54 is just the latest in a legendary line.

Quote:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It would be useful to know if we buy this 1000 dolar mic, we can actually use it beyon 40 cm.

If the published plot on the proximity effect page is with the highpass disabled, then we know. But the info is unclear.

I admit, it sounds great. But those voices in those examples would sound great on a sm57 as well ...

Edit: this is actually the first time since long that I had a ”wow” moment when I listened to those clips.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It looks and sounds amazing... it sort of looks like a sexy version of an sm7

Ugh... I said no new mics this year... but
Old 1 week ago
Definitely designed to be a close mic. Probably not something you want to be using more than a couple feet away from the source. The examples sound terrific though. Could be really nice for live solo spot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That it differs in so many ways from a trad ribbon mic, both in published specs and design principles plus usage, should be caution enough to at least give this a test run before buying, or at very least wait for specific, reliable field-use reviews to appear ? Lots of salivating, buyer confirmation bias in evidence here...usual pre-purchase scepticism advised
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Lots of salivating, buyer confirmation bias in evidence here...usual pre-purchase scepticism advised
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Silly me, I momentarily forgot this GS after all, the place where more gear is never enough ! "Here's my thousand bucks....sign me on as your beta tester" Furthermore, my fault entirely for posting the first heads-up here re it's existence.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Silly me, I momentarily forgot this GS after all, the place where more gear is never enough ! "Here's my thousand bucks....sign me on as your beta tester" Furthermore, my fault entirely for posting the first heads-up here re it's existence.....
Sure...apologize now, when I already have my credit card out of the wallet
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Sure...apologize now, when I already have my credit card out of the wallet
All you owe the forum is a review, or several, from the front line....definitely a big bunch of ribbon afficionados here !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hello all!

I just discovered this thread (there are three or four now) and figured I could help out or at least provide some insight. So, what questions do you have?

To answer a couple concerns, the frequency response graph in the manual is without the high pass engaged. We fully intended this mic to be used in situations where users were close micing sources. It doesn't have the throw of a 44. However, it has great low end. I don't feel like it's lacking in that department, but it is intended to be used within 12" of the source.

More than anything else, the polar pattern is where this mic is really unique. The dual path labyrinth allowed us to get some pretty incredible rejection. It has better rejection than any other production directional ribbon every made. We own and have tested them all at the shop. I've put in in places you shouldn't be able to use a ribbon in and it works. Not to mention, what little bleed that is present is extremely musical. It's good bleed.

We're still working on a couple small details, but once we get caught up with production we should have some demo units available. You can try them on your own time, in your own space, and decide for yourself whether the $999 USD is worth it.
Old 1 week ago
The specs claim 20~20k hz response but the plot only shows it only going up to around 6~7K hz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The specs claim 20~20k hz response but the plot only shows it only going up to around 6~7K hz.
I hear you, Jim. I really do. Here's the problem with specs: there is no standardized means of measurement.

We do our best to follow what we feel are best practices, but when it comes down to it there is no "right" way. Transducer (mics, speakers, etc) companies typically measure and publish frequency response in the most flattering way possible. Meaning, they could make the measurement with a 1k tone at 1 meter away, 100hZ measurement at 1 ft away, or a 10khz measurement at 10 ft away. All of those variables, plus a million others significantly impact that response (room, mic amplifier, axis, etc). Then they have to pick ONE graph to represent the mic. They CAN (I'm not saying they all do) do whatever they want then publish the most flattering response.

The KU5A specifically has gone through hundreds of tiny variations over the course of the past five years. The smallest change can totally change the way the mic functions (especially the polar pattern).

Opposed to chasing a frequency response plot, we design our mics with our ears. We test them and let our friends, who have far better ears and many more Grammy's than we do, use them. They give us their feedback and we implement changes to make them better. Once we're all happy with the mic, then we have the challenge of figuring out how to build them consistently on a larger scale.

I'm rambling now. My point is the graph only tells you so much. This mic does have a response form 20hz-20kz, but it's not within a 3 dB threshold. The graph only shows the response up to 7khz because users typically want to see the "meat and potatoes" response of the midrange more clearly. I'll see if I can dig up a wider response plot and post it here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear you, Jim. I really do. Here's the problem with specs: there is no standardized means of measurement.

We do our best to follow what we feel are best practices, but when it comes down to it there is no "right" way. Transducer (mics, speakers, etc) companies typically measure and publish frequency response in the most flattering way possible. Meaning, they could make the measurement with a 1k tone at 1 meter away, 100hZ measurement at 1 ft away, or a 10khz measurement at 10 ft away. All of those variables, plus a million others significantly impact that response (room, mic amplifier, axis, etc). Then they have to pick ONE graph to represent the mic. They CAN (I'm not saying they all do) do whatever they want then publish the most flattering response.

The KU5A specifically has gone through hundreds of tiny variations over the course of the past five years. The smallest change can totally change the way the mic functions (especially the polar pattern).

Opposed to chasing a frequency response plot, we design our mics with our ears. We test them and let our friends, who have far better ears and many more Grammy's than we do, use them. They give us their feedback and we implement changes to make them better. Once we're all happy with the mic, then we have the challenge of figuring out how to build them consistently on a larger scale. We build a few that way, make sure they're consistent, and then we make our measurement with a 1khz tone at 1 meter away. That's the response in the manual.

I'm rambling now. My point is the graph only tells you so much. This mic does have a response form 20hz-20kz, but it's not within a 3 dB threshold. The graph only shows the response up to 7khz because users typically want to see the "meat and potatoes" response of the midrange more clearly. I'll see if I can dig up a wider response plot and post it here.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

The full graph is in page 11. Going to 30kHz. I think you are looking at the proximity effect example graph. It does not show anything sub 200Hz. Which would be nice to see at a free field range without proximity effect
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

That looks like a very interesting mic.
Would it be a kind of luxury version of the M160 as OH mic?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrommann View Post
That looks like a very interesting mic.
Would it be a kind of luxury version of the M160 as OH mic?
The M160 is a great mic and I'm hesitant to make direct comparisons since they're so different. The directionality of the mics is achieved with two entirely different methods. With that being said, I've used the KU5A as a mono overhead and really enjoyed it. It's really focused sounding compared to our other ribbons.

I believe there are some sound samples in our listening library of both a overhead and a spaced pair.

KU5A Product Page Playlist by AEA Ribbon Mics | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks Josh for pointing me to the soundcloud library. Didn't see that before .
Very curious to test it myself
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Definitely designed to be a close mic. Probably not something you want to be using more than a couple feet away from the source. The examples sound terrific though. Could be really nice for live solo spot.
Actually not entirely. Yes, I'd say to use as a spot as opposed to mains, but it definitely does not have to be tight on the source. I posted this video on another thread, but here it is here- a beta version of KU5A on a solo violinist. Probably 3-4 feet away for most of the performance (and sounds tight to the perfomer). Rest of the orchestra was mic'd with N8s. Overhead tree was 4006s and the flanks were MKH20s. The ribbons figure heavily in the sound you hear here. Preamps were a Forsell SMP2 and the rest of the orchestra spots going through Stadius mic pres in a digico stage rack.

YouTube

What I found amazing is that the pattern was super consistent and *very* directional. Even when a performer moved a lot and was 45 or more degrees off axis, the sound pretty much didn't change. Also, in a rehearsal when the soloist was facing into the orchestra with the mic between them and the group, I heard almost no orchestra on the solo mic. Was stunning really how little came in the back end of that microphone.

Used it in some non-classical situations as well- super controlled on a loud stage. No issues at all in monitors.

--Ben
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search