The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for advice on picking up a field recorder for sample collecting. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

looking for advice on picking up a field recorder for sample collecting.

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a field recorder for sample collecting while on the go.

Originally, I was thinking for getting the Zoom H1 or Tascam DR-05 but, after some re-researching, I come across some mobile phone setups designed for youtube vloggers and people in that realm like some RODE mics I see.

I want to know stuff like:
Should I get a designated field recorder?
Is using a mobile phone system a better choice?
Should I be concerned about D\A converter qualities?

I want to carry this almost every day. I'm also going to be in a city environment or office environment most of the time. So...:

Something very light
Something small
Very easy and quick to get ready

This is my first purchase on doing any field so any tips will be appreciated

Best,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Should you get a field recorder? Depends on how much stuff you want to carry with you all the time. The advantage of a dedicated field recorder over mics connected to a smart phone is that you can leave it in your bag and it’s always ready to go; pull it out, turn it on, go. That’s always going to be an advantage over a phone that requires you to attach mics and load an app. Also, most importantly, you can get a dedicated handgrip/shockmount/wind filter combo such as the Rycote product, which makes a huge difference to the usefulness of the sound you capture. Handling noise and wind noise are common on both formats - handheld field recorder or smart phone with mics attached.

If you’re just starting out, it might be wise to invest a small amount and go for the smart phone option until you’ve found out what works and what doesn’t work for you. Rode’s iXY, Shure’s MV88, Zoom’s IQ6 and IQ7 are all worth considering.

It’s not worth worrying about converter quality at this point. The contribution of the converters in any signal capture path is very small compared to the contribution of the microphone and the preamps, and these are dedicated devices/solutions without many options.

All that aside, I think you’ll get some helpful information from the Field Recording Facebook group, which is full of people doing that kind of thing every day. Most people there have been through the process you’re about to undergo and will have useful advice to give.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
Should you get a field recorder? Depends on how much stuff you want to carry with you all the time. The advantage of a dedicated field recorder over mics connected to a smart phone is that you can leave it in your bag and it’s always ready to go; pull it out, turn it on, go. That’s always going to be an advantage over a phone that requires you to attach mics and load an app. Also, most importantly, you can get a dedicated handgrip/shockmount/wind filter combo such as the Rycote product, which makes a huge difference to the usefulness of the sound you capture. Handling noise and wind noise are common on both formats - handheld field recorder or smart phone with mics attached.

If you’re just starting out, it might be wise to invest a small amount and go for the smart phone option until you’ve found out what works and what doesn’t work for you. Rode’s iXY, Shure’s MV88, Zoom’s IQ6 and IQ7 are all worth considering.

It’s not worth worrying about converter quality at this point. The contribution of the converters in any signal capture path is very small compared to the contribution of the microphone and the preamps, and these are dedicated devices/solutions without many options.

All that aside, I think you’ll get some helpful information from the Field Recording Facebook group, which is full of people doing that kind of thing every day. Most people there have been through the process you’re about to undergo and will have useful advice to give.
If he wants to get into real field recording the mentioned iPhone mics are not suitable, because they are too noisy. In the case of Shure even Shure concedes it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the mic it is simple due to the construction. I own the MV88, but I'm not into field recording, I'm more into recording music and voices. Again: the Shure is very good for the money. Besides the Shure I own the Lewitt DGT650. This would be suitable but the setup is too demanding and it might be too expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It seems like some consideration needs to be given to what you intend to record.

That will help you figure out how much sensitivity you need and how much noise is acceptable, etc.

I've never used a Zoom H1, but I have a comparison files of an H4n and the MV88 on my iphone. I think the MV88 is generally better for what I record. I don't know how long the H1 takes to power on, but the H4n takes a long time.
Attached Files

h4n-2.wav (3.89 MB, 174 views)

mv88-2.wav (6.24 MB, 180 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a field recorder for sample collecting while on the go.
What exactly do you mean by "sample collecting," and what will you do with those samples? The answer to that question will help people make recommendations.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Hey hey,

Thanks for the responses!

I'm looking to sample stuff that will accompany 1 shots samples and record tonal stuff so I can create instruments with. I would also like to record dialogs (indoors) too if my set up allows for it.

So, I checked a lot of youtube channels that gave audio examples of the mics I mentioned. To me, it seems like going a dedicated recorder route like the Zoom or Tascam is the best(?). They seem to capture a wider range and has the ability to act as an audio interface. The mics designed for vloggers sounded tinny with a lack of low end unless I spend $200. The dedicated records are almost half the price and slightly mid heavy but I prefer that over tinny with no low end. Another benefit with the dedicated recorder route is that I should be able to use it as an external mic for my phone. So, if I want, I should be able to rig a simple budget video + audio set up.

The problems I can think of right now with a dedicated recorder is that unlike a phone, there's a higher risk of losing it and due summer time, I'll need a dedicated carrying case for it and it's not a shotgun style mic.

what do you think?

some ref:
YouTube
YouTube
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Sounds o.k., what I wrote about the MV88 and noise was in relation to "real" field recordings - like recording a bird from far away etc. I own both the Shure MV88 and a Zoom H6. But I'm recording gigs of our band or me playing bass most of the times and use it as an audio recorder for my DSLR.
It's a huge advantage of the Zoom handyrecorders that they work as audio interfaces, too.
I'm a bit of a Zoom fan, although I use more expensive gear from other manufacturers. Just watched the youtube video, where a Rode video mic is compared to the Zoom H1. For a handy recorder <100,- it sounds incredible good. In relation to the price, most Zoom gear performs very very good.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, I find Marantz recorders to have great features for recording quickly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search