The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jean-Pierre Gurtner of Stellavox Died
Old 15th September 2018
Gear Addict

Jean-Pierre Gurtner of Stellavox Died

Important information
RIP
I thought this might be a good forum for this simply because this is the place most likely to know about Stellavox.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

R.I.P

Used Stellavox in some projects and liked it but it was Nagra dominating the film industry

Matti
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

Terrible news. I did not know about his death. I worked closely with him in the mid 80’s when I was the USA importer for Stellavox. Jean-Pierre was the right hand man to Georges Quellet (still living), the mind behind Stellavox.

Not good news for those who needed an expert to attend to and repair / modify their Stellavox recorders.

Sad news to me here.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear
StellaVox came to late to dent Nagra's analog recorders
When DAT reared its ugly head and Stefan refused to touch it because of the ridiculous format it was left to the Japanese and they made a hash of the pro machines
I had 4 Fostex PD4 s before they eventually worked properly
StellaDat looked like the real thing ,with a 4 ch mixer and sensible batteries and metal build
It never arrived before file recording finally made sense.....

Last edited by Rolo 46; 16th September 2018 at 10:29 PM..
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

In case you don't know, Stelladat had nothing to do with Stellavox, Quellet, or Gurtner or any factory people. Stelladat was the errant brain child of Michel Reverchon, the man who bought Stellavox from Mr. Quellet during hard times. This would have been around 1987. I was there.

Reverchon was the pirate who owned and ran the super high end GOLDMUND
hi-fi company. When Reverchon could not make the Stelladat go, he sold the idea to Sonosax who attempted a revival.

The machine was never really working correctly and was shelved.

Stellavox did not arrive late to the recorder market since both Quellet and Kudelski were making machines since the 1950's.

Stellavox was always undercapitalized and also suffered because its founder
had bouts of ill health that sidetracked the company.

However, the Stellavox recorders sounded excellent and were built with discrete build with nary a chip in sight.

Pure analog sound that I contend was equal to and better than Nagra.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search