The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I'm going to buy a remote truck... Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

So I'm going to buy a remote truck...

I have an opportunity to buy a small remote recording/production truck. The owner is making me a deal that is too good to turn down.

It's built on an old airport shuttle type van: 1988 Ford Econoline 350 Diesel truck with 300,000 miles. The engine has been rebuilt, but I'm not sure how long ago.

It's already been built out and has worked as a remote recording/OB truck for quite some years. The current owner runs a live production company and has had this truck for 6 or 7 years, but hasn't been using it. It's been sitting in his where house for at least four years now. He's looking to get rid of it and free up the space in his shop for other things, and he wants to see it go to someone who will use it, like me.

He's including the equipment currently in the truck: 2 Tascam X48 hard disk recorders, a 48 channel Soundtracs Quartz console, a pair of Genelec 1031 monitors, an Alesis Masterlink, other outboard effects and processing gear, And RTS and PI coms system. He is also going to include a Yamaha DM2000 console that he bought to put in the truck, but never got around to it.

It's equipped with a 50amp single phase California connection for shore power, has auxiliary heat and AC for the control room. Has a couple hundred feet of Whirlwind W4 MASS cable for the analog tie-in connectivity. There's no generator. And the AC in the cab doesn't work.

We've come to an agreement on price and he's agreed to sell it to me. It'll take a couple weeks to get the paper work done and get an auto insurance policy set up so I can drive back to my place.

I'll probably sell of some of the gear that I won't be using, and hopefully I can reconfigure it for networked audio access. There's not enough room for the Soundtracs console and the DM2000, so I'll probably sell the Soundtracs and maybe try to buy a second DM2000 to cascade together. I'd like to configure it for Protools recording, and Dante data transport. And I'll be adding a pair of Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors to augment the Genelecs.

At the bare minimum, it will serve me as a mixing room for the symphony and opera recording that I do, since I'm no longer employed by the performing arts center that I used to work at and had access to the control room there to mix in.

So...what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20180912_122016276.jpg   So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20180912_120012711.jpg   So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20180912_122042712.jpg   So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20180912_122107245.jpg   So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20180912_123526585.jpg  

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All I can say is that I need a remote truck like I need a hole in the head and I woulda probably done the same thing.

Good luck with your new rig!

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Big commitment! Do you have an indoor place to park it? (And maybe be able to do your mix work within that space?) Do you have some remote recording clients? Does the truck have any clock and timecode generation and distro gear? Snakes? Do you have enough mics to be able to do a 48 track recording? Mic stands? Cable? I will say that I've found that with equipment (and vehicles) this old it is very hard to get your money back out of it if things don't work out.... If this thing really only ever works as your personal mix+production studio, will it still pencil out for you?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I will say that I've found that with equipment (and vehicles) this old it is very hard to get your money back out of it if things don't work out.... If this thing really only ever works as your personal mix+production studio, will it still pencil out for you?
I can probably pay for this buy selling off the gear that I won't use.

I don't have an indoor place to park it. I may have to build a carport to park it under. And no I don't have a place to build out as a mix room. So this would fill that need.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The two happiest days of your life will be the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.

The days in between could be good, too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if an opportunity would come along, i'd probably get a remote truck too!

not that i think i could make any money out of it, on the contrary: around here, there is way too much competition from providers you cannot beat, but it'd be fun and i could use it as a mixing space.

if not using my more sophisticated (but more expensive) setup, i also have a dm2000 with 48 channels of remotely controlled ad8hr preamps: they can be found amazingly cheap these days and in your position, i'd probably buy these rather than a second dm2000. but of course, if you have some decent preamps, adding a few cards in the appropriate format to the dm2000 might be a smarter move.

i convert to ethersound or madi (all madi with my larger rig): much more easy regarding cables! - maybe add more 1031's for surround? other than these (and maybe the masterlink), i don't see any gear that i'd want to use...

keep us posted on your progress!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Congrats... it looks good. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'm sure you probably have this under control, but just in case - do talk to your insurance company and make sure the gear inside is covered (at home and on-site) since you'll be parking it outside, and make sure you have whatever commercial policy you need for driving it since it's a business vehicle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, that True P8 mic amp is an awesome neutral box. I loved mine when I owned them (two of them) but they didn't fit into my Dante plan easily and I sold them for preamps that did.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post
do talk to your insurance company and make sure the gear inside is covered
And maybe an alarm system?

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

paint this on the side of your new vehicle .. "Human Organ Transplant Vehicle - Stay Back !!!" ... or "Acme Diaper Company" seems to work for the CIA just fine !!!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
paint this on the side of your new vehicle .. "Human Organ Transplant Vehicle - Stay Back !!!" ... or "Acme Diaper Company" seems to work for the CIA just fine !!!
Or Guard Dog Delivery Service. Run some loops of barking off the gear inside.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I can probably pay for this buy selling off the gear that I won't use.

I don't have an indoor place to park it. I may have to build a carport to park it under. And no I don't have a place to build out as a mix room. So this would fill that need.
That's what I meant--this thing is your CR, but protecting it from the elements (at least) would help preserve it and also make it possible to mix in during a rainstorm! Years ago I read an article by a guy who wanted to have a studio in a small market and decided to make his control room "portable" (like your truck) and his "music room" (where musicians would play) a permanent building. I think it worked well for him at least for awhile--this was a long time ago. You could possibly do something similar if rentals or real estate is reasonable in your area, and be able to have both a studio and a location recording business with the same rig?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search