The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

So I'm going to buy a remote truck... Studio Monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 

yeah but having a truck is much better than sleeping rough!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Econoline range, but I'm guessing it's a typical US recreational vehicle, into which you'd typically fit a kitchen sink, stove, small refrigerator, bed or two, meals table and bench seating, big flat screen TV, cupboards etc ? Once the big Soundtracs desk is removed, the total weight of the remaining audio gear plus location recording kit, mic stands, cables, snake etc might be no more than the RV fit out items listed here ?

All that aside, a Diesel engine is not about speed...it's about load pulling at highest revs for hours and hours without complaint...more like a team of oxen or elephants than a bunch of greyhounds or racehorses ! Just be sure to factor realistic fuel costs into all your future quote estimates....
The Ford Econoline was a van design that went back into the 1960's, but what was radical for the time was when Ford put the 6.9L International Harvester diesel in their pickup trucks in the early 1980s. They bored it out to 7.3L in 1988. Ford made the chassis of JCBigler's remote truck, but there was probably a separate body mfg with most of the bodies probably being airport/hotel shuttles. There may be a body mfg sticker somewhere on it.

I had the 6.9L in a truck and got roughly the same fuel mileage whether I was towing anything or not.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #33
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
The Ford Econoline was a van design that went back into the 1960's, but what was radical for the time was when Ford put the 6.9L International Harvester diesel in their pickup trucks in the early 1980s. They bored it out to 7.3L in 1988. Ford made the chassis of JCBigler's remote truck, but there was probably a separate body mfg with most of the bodies probably being airport/hotel shuttles. There may be a body mfg sticker somewhere on it.

I had the 6.9L in a truck and got roughly the same fuel mileage whether I was towing anything or not.
Yep, that’s exactly what it is. Was a former airport shuttle type van. It’s classified on the tag and VIN as a “cutaway van”. But man, that big Diesel sure sounds cool when it’s up and running. I’m going to have to record some sound effects from it.

I haven’t run it through a tank of Diesel yet to check the mileage myself. But I’m told it gets about 10mpg.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Yep, that’s exactly what it is. Was a former airport shuttle type van. It’s classified on the tag and VIN as a “cutaway van”. But man, that big Diesel sure sounds cool when it’s up and running. I’m going to have to record some sound effects from it.

I haven’t run it through a tank of Diesel yet to check the mileage myself. But I’m told it gets about 10mpg.
Not great but you aren't going to vacation in this thing (right?). Were you thinking you'd go very far afield with this truck, like to gigs a few states (or more) away)? Knowing who made the body (if you can find any docs or a sticker anywhere on it) might be useful if you have to replace any of the bespoke non-Ford hardware (doors, hinges etc).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #35
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Not great but you aren't going to vacation in this thing (right?). Were you thinking you'd go very far afield with this truck, like to gigs a few states (or more) away)? Knowing who made the body (if you can find any docs or a sticker anywhere on it) might be useful if you have to replace any of the bespoke non-Ford hardware (doors, hinges etc).
I mean, we all do do this kind of work, because it's more like a vacation than a real job, right? We just make it sound like a job so the wives don't get upset about being married to a jobless audio nerd...or maybe it's just me...

I doubt I will travel much outside the Oklahoma-Arkansas-N. Texas areas, if that. But I might take it down to College Station in December as a shakedown run to work on my friend's blues band's album. (At the very least, I'll take my newly assembled HD Native/Red 8Pre rig down and do it with that system)

I'll have to do some exploring to see if I can find a manufacturer's tag somewhere.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #36
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

I happily ran a used '99 F350 Crew (bought in '09 with 153K) with a 7.3 diesel for nearly a decade. Watch for oil leaks ("they all leak" was nearly my undoing when the high pressure oil line on the back of the engine blew in Georgia on the way to a gig in Naples FL) and be prepared for injectors replacement at some point. A nice long shakedown trip (with no expectations at either end) would be mandatory for me.

I'd still be driving that beast if a 80yo in a new Acadia SUV hadn't plowed into the back (no skid marks) of my 16' all-steel CM trailer in Knoxville traffic (1pm...) on a run to Richmond VA in '16, and TOTALLED both trailer and truck (frame damage beyond their "value"). After its replacement (a '08 F250 6.4L) proved totally unreliable (a very long, well-documented story), I moved into a '97 Dodge 2500 extended (one-owner, 97K original miles, cherry) with the 12v 5.9 Cummins diesel in May, towing a new/old Lark 16' trailer. So far... so very good. FMC did me wrong. When my wife's '98 Grand Marquis finally decides to die, I'll never again own another Ford product.

The Ford Super Duty dealership here did fine on the '99 7.3... but totally screwed the pooch on the '08 6.4. Get plenty of recommendations from local 7.3 owners about where to have service and repairs done. The 7.3 was a totally tweaked out, extremely reliable power plant by the late '90s, when well-maintained. What followed (6.0 and 6.4) were abominations due to poorly executed designs... with the 6.4 proving to be irreparable. As I mentioned, FMC was of zero help, and new 6.7s were (and are) priced in the stratosphere, and are not yet a decade in trace.

Rock on!

HB
Old 4 weeks ago
  #37
Lives for gear
There's almost a cult following the 6.9/7.3L engines for which we can thank International Harvester for the robust design. There's a good forum on these engines: Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Similarly, Cummins knows how to build a diesel, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
... Similarly, Cummins knows how to build a diesel, too.
Got that dang straight.

HB
Old 1 week ago
  #39
Gear Addict
 

I did a Facebook Live video tour of my new truck.

These Genelec 1031As sound good. Too bad the mic on my phone or the FB Live video stream quashed the audio.

(Hopefully the FB Live video stream works. I set it for public so anyone should be able to view it.)

Justice Bigler - Recording truck tour

So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20181205_211738739.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-img_20181205_211738739.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #40
Gear Addict
 
fred2bern's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I did a Facebook Live video tour of my new truck.
Hi Justice,

Many thanks for sharing this video, very interesting!
you said you want to replace your HD TV by 2 monitors. Maybe you could also think about this product:
49" Moniteur Gaming incurve CHG90 | LC49HG90DMUXEN | Samsung Suisse

I have one since 3 weeks, before I had 2x27 monitors and it is really another world! Really cool to have (with Samplitude) a 52 tracks console on one screen...
Attached Thumbnails
So I'm going to buy a remote truck...-49.1.jpg  
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump