The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MixPre10t is post-fade only as USB interface
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

MixPre10t is post-fade only as USB interface

I posted this in Tony F’s thread as well, but I think this issue needs its own thread. I spoke with Sound Devices just now and they are saying that post-fade to USB is the intended behavior in interface mode, which makes no sense to me at all. At a minimum, it should be pre-fade to USB, with an option for post-fade to USB, which I think would be the rarely used option. At best, it should be an option, though I can think of no reason why anyone would want to send post-fade via USB.

The scenario I described to him was in live music recording, where you are using the recorder’s faders to create a rough mix in real time, but at the same time capturing pre-fade to a computer via USB for later editing. Honestly, I can’t even envision a scenario where sending post fade to USB makes any sense at all.

I’d like to hear your opinions on this. The tech said that they have NO other calls on this issue, but that is hard to believe. His workaround for it was to set the faders at unity gain, but then that means you can’t do a mix on the recorder, and you need to be very careful about touching the fader knobs when you click them to enter the channel parameters screen.

He entered a feature request for selecting pre or post fade to USB, but to me, it’s more of a bug fix. Post fade to USB only just makes no sense at all.

If you have one of these machines and you agree, please contact Sound Devices and let them know about it. If you disagree, please sound off here.

Last edited by bwanajim; 6 days ago at 11:52 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search