The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Contemporary classical trio Ribbon Microphones
Old 11th September 2018
Contemporary classical trio

Dear all,

I am in the process of finalizing the recording I made for a young contemporary trio: flute/picc, oboe/cor-anglais and piano (an old Ibach grand).
Recorded in a small chapel.
Mains DPA4006
Spots Rode NTR on flute and oboe

Any suggestions for improvements? What do you think of the recorded sound and balance and mix?

Dropbox - trio_test.wav
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

The stereo image would sound more symmetrical if the piano was centered
between left and right.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting contemporary piece with extended flute techniques. I agree with Aracu - the image would be more solid if the piano were centered. The oboe and flute are a bit buried by the piano so maybe boost the spots a bit more. I might also add that while you have captured a nice ambient reverb, it is my opinion that contemporary pieces like this are better presented in a more intimate fashion (less reverb). Your micing sounds well done with excellent sonic quality. Thanks for posting it.
Old 13th September 2018
Thanks for the feedback.
I am a bit surprised by the non-centered piano comment: while this might be the most symmetrical situation (flute L / piano C or LR / oboe R), the piano is never centered in a classical trio situation, always projecting to the right. The instrument was positioned centrally on the small stage, and so were my microphones, so I thought I captured it quite 'truthfully'. Yet I understand that listening asymmetrically might be strange. I boosted the left channel with 1.5dB and lowered the flute spot a little, which made the balance better indeed.

Ambient reverb: the musicians find this too dry already, so it is a matter of compromise :-)
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

I like this recording just the way it is. The balance between the instruments and the imaging is good. It sounds real.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
I like this recording just the way it is. The balance between the instruments and the imaging is good. It sounds real.
I also like the recorded sound very much. And I'm grateful for your posting, as it's fascinating to hear one of the industry-standard omni pairs (4006) used alongside Rode NTRs as spots. I ask the following not in any sense to criticise the sound but to better understand why the sound is so successful. The NTRs look to be down circa 10dB by 10kHz and, indeed, dipping significantly prior to 1kHz (versus response at 20Hz). (I looked at the frequency response graph here: Rode NTR | )

Is it the case that the NTR's response is 'flat enough' within the effective frequency range of the flute and oboe that the unusual-looking shape of the response plot from 20Hz to 10kHz+ is not really relevant? A footnote question: would you happen to know the frequency range of both instruments including the highest harmonics of each (information not readily available via Googling - I can only seem to find the ranges of the actual notes - fundamentals - but not of the highest harmonics).

Also, may I ask how far from each wind instrument did you have each NTR, and were they directed in such a way that the nulls were towards the direct piano sound?

Thanks you for your insights.

Allow me to add that I enjoyed greatly your Couperin recordings made on your Dulcken harpsichord and two NTRs earlier in the year. You evidently have many microphones at your disposal, and I'm guessing that you'd found that the NTRs give you the kind of 'weighty' harpsichord sound that you desire (in addition to that echt ribbon realism) whereas a 4006 or MK2H pair, say, would not provide quite the richness or subtle darkness??
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Nut

It might be a little too present, the piano, and a bit to the right, but indeed it is a lovely recording, Korneel! Space, sound color, climate of the piece. Great!

Indeed, pushing a left channel higher lost the problem here as well

If you don't mind I would love to hear some more details about the placement of the mics.

Hugs!
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
Any suggestions for improvements? What do you think of the recorded sound and balance and mix?
This doesn't sound like a conventional recording. It sounds better, more real. Interesting, that. Nicely done.

I don't find the piano placement that... wrong? It's not wrong, but I think pulling it back to the left a little bit might help the overall balance (for listeners other than you or the players). I think the oboe might want a touch more spot relative to the flute, and it might be interesting to try to bring both up a touch relative to the piano.

But really, I suspect if you try these things you'll decide this posted version is the better mix. Because the posted version is a really good mix already.

Nice work Korneel. But... where's the harpsichord?
Old 15th September 2018
Hi all, and many thanks for the comments.
The pictures make things clear, I hope!
Attached Thumbnails
Contemporary classical trio-36849814_10156752749668754_5126259513220923392_o.jpg   Contemporary classical trio-36859561_10156752749398754_7989829336062492672_o.jpg   Contemporary classical trio-36876739_10156752749803754_4908375165164847104_n.jpg  
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
Dear all,

I am in the process of finalizing the recording I made for a young contemporary trio: flute/picc, oboe/cor-anglais and piano (an old Ibach grand).
Recorded in a small chapel.
Mains DPA4006
Spots Rode NTR on flute and oboe

Dropbox - trio_test.wav
Works for me.

Is it really contemporary classical? Sounds like the sort of thing William Mathias was writing back in the 50s and 60s.
Old 15th September 2018
All pieces (except the last one) are new and commissioned by the ensemble.
To give a full scope of the CD: Dropbox - trio_test_full.wav
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

What a great piece. It reminds me of a Libby Larsen duet for guitar and oboe I've performed. The recording captures the excitement I imagine was in the original performance.

Quote:
Any suggestions for improvements?
I hear an occasional harshness (3-6 kHz) in the flute and oboe. Perhaps some automated spot EQ?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search