The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MixPre 3/6 Battery life
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

MixPre 3/6 Battery life

Hope I'm not overposting (or about to start) on this ...
I've heard a broad range of estimates on how much battery life the MixPre 3/6 will get on the rechargeable lithium AA batteries.
I have the basic 4 AA 'sled' and I thought it would be useful to know people's specific experiences with specific products. Obviously "it depends" but any specific experience would be useful.
I'm considering whether the AAs are even worth it or just go to one of those usb power bricks.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Hope I'm not overposting (or about to start) on this ...
I've heard a broad range of estimates on how much battery life the MixPre 3/6 will get on the rechargeable lithium AA batteries.
I have the basic 4 AA 'sled' and I thought it would be useful to know people's specific experiences with specific products. Obviously "it depends" but any specific experience would be useful.
I'm considering whether the AAs are even worth it or just go to one of those usb power bricks.

Thanks.
From your previous posts you evidently have a Mixpre-3, which - by virtue of only three pre-amps providing P48v - is the least power-hungry of the series. As you already have this in hand, know your usage best, and have your mics (with specific power consumption), then it is best to test for yourself with AAs. I used a few powering options to start with (I have had a Mixpre-3 from when they first came out), but fairly early on realized that the 4 x AA sled was actually the best option for my purposes, with decent rechargeables of course - I use Eneloop Pros (2500mAh). They give 2-3hrs with 2-3 P48v mics, are easy to swap out (I have 3 sets), avoid the less than robust USB connection or the bulk of external Sony L-type batteries via the MX-L mount (or 3rd party equivalent), and maintain the (usefully) diminutive size of the recorder.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

i have the mixpre6m. i found the 4 battery sled with 2100nimhs just recording one or 2 mics only gave me a couple hrs or so, but i got the latest Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD and i think it will give me maybe 10-12 (i haven't drained it yet). well worth it

ps i'm more stationary and recording acoustic instruments for longer sessions off grid, so the usb c connection doesn't feel like an issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lodge View Post
i have the mixpre6m. i found the 4 battery sled with 2100nimhs just recording one or 2 mics only gave me a couple hrs or so, but i got the latest Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD and i think it will give me maybe 10-12 (i haven't drained it yet). well worth it

ps i'm more stationary and recording acoustic instruments for longer sessions off grid, so the usb c connection doesn't feel like an issue.
Thanks, good info. Didn't want to spend $150 to figure this out!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That Sony MX-L sled looks like the best option. You can get two 8500mAh batteries plus a charger from Wasabi power on Amazon for $60. I've used the Wasabi stuff for years. On my GoPros, GH4s, GH5s, for the SD788, for Canon batteries on the SmallHD 502 monitor and the Edelkrone slider...always good.

Here ya go:
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Sony NP-F975, NP-F970, NP-F960, NP-F950: Camera & Photo

I just ordered a MixPre10t and planning to power it with the MX-L and/or a standard v-mount battery via D-Tap to Hirose cable.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
That Sony MX-L sled looks like the best option. You can get two 8500mAh batteries plus a charger from Wasabi power on Amazon for $60. I've used the Wasabi stuff for years. On my GoPros, GH4s, GH5s, for the SD788, for Canon batteries on the SmallHD 502 monitor and the Edelkrone slider...always good.

Here ya go:
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Sony NP-F975, NP-F970, NP-F960, NP-F950: Camera & Photo

I just ordered a MixPre10t and planning to power it with the MX-L and/or a standard v-mount battery via D-Tap to Hirose cable.
Thanks for the tip -- that is $60 plus another $60 for the battery sled, it doesn't come with the mixpre3. This is how fast you get into hundreds on batteries. They're getting $60-$70 for a little piece of molded soft plastic that holds 8AAs or this L batt -- it's way over the line. Hope somebody in China is listening and goes into the business of making dupes, because it would be super easy to copy at $1 a piece.

Man, I'm starting to feel like the unit should have come with some kind of lithium battery, like a cell phone does, because it's not like you can throw AAs in there and go use it. It's their way of keeping their margin up. There are other drawbacks to it, but it does sound great -- that is, doesn't sound like anything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Man, I'm starting to feel like the unit should have come with some kind of lithium battery, like a cell phone does, because it's not like you can throw AAs in there and go use it. It's their way of keeping their margin up. There are other drawbacks to it, but it does sound great -- that is, doesn't sound like anything.
What exactly are you using your new mixpre-3 for? I use mine for film sound, nature recording and music recording and, as I said previously, despite having external power options, I find these gathering dust and that 3 sets of 4 Eneloop Pro AAs are actually a very viable, compact and robust powering option: that's after a year and half of hard use/experience. No need to be so dismissive of this option.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
What exactly are you using your new mixpre-3 for? I use mine for film sound, nature recording and music recording and, as I said previously, despite having external power options, I find these gathering dust and that 3 sets of 4 Eneloop Pro AAs are actually a very viable, compact and robust powering option: that's after a year and half of hard use/experience. No need to be so dismissive of this option.

Cheers,

Roland
Same here;
- Film sound with two 48v -- would like to have a solid 3hr option, and maybe more depending on $
- Recording guitar in the VW van at hte beach

The latter won't be very power hungry, using a guit headphone amp as a DI. Trying to just work out the best values in mAh per $ here. These anecdotal reports are super useful.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
When you consider your investment in time and money to get to the places where you will record, arrangements with artists, post production, your mics, your software and all your other expenses, is another $120 really that consequential? It seems pretty reasonable for two 8.5Ah packs that will run your MixPre all day long, a sled and a charger. What matters is the value that it adds. Does it add $60 of value to your work in the field? I think it's hard to argue that it doesn't. If it saves you just one fire drill replacing those AA batteries, or having that USB cable get knocked our of your recorder, it has paid for itself. The cost of goods sold is irrelevant. I for one do not hope that some Chinese company violates Sound Devices' intellectual property rights by cloning the MX-L sled. We've had enough of that.

If you add up the costs to have that sled designed in CAD, the cost of having the metal tools made to mold them in series, production, final assembly and testing, then factor in how many they will actually sell (MixPres are not exactly a high volume consumer product), I'd be surprised if their margin on those sleds to distributors is even 15-20% It will likely be a few years before they recover their design, tooling and production costs on those things. Plastic is the least of their costs.

This reminds me of my friends in the model sailplane crowd. These guys spend $2500 on a beautiful, high tech, 4-meter hollow molded carbon fiber airframe from Germany, then they'll put another $500 of electronics in it to control all the surfaces. And then they'll engage in a lively discussion thread 200 posts long about where to find the cheapest NiMh batteries and the cheapest way to make a battery pack. They will scavenge the discount bins at Walmart to find the cheapest NiMh batteries possible and waste their time doing all sorts of tests on them. Given all the hours they'd spent building up such a valuable airframe, not to mention the money they'd spent on ancillaries, it always seemed odd to me that would focus so much attention on saving $50-100 bucks on batteries - the very thing that keeps the electronics running and allows the plane to remain under radio control. Madness.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip -- that is $60 plus another $60 for the battery sled, it doesn't come with the mixpre3. This is how fast you get into hundreds on batteries. They're getting $60-$70 for a little piece of molded soft plastic that holds 8AAs or this L batt -- it's way over the line. Hope somebody in China is listening and goes into the business of making dupes, because it would be super easy to copy at $1 a piece.

Last edited by bwanajim; 1 week ago at 04:29 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lodge View Post

I'm lucky to get 40 minutes of recording time with 4 Eneloop AA batteries in the sled on my MixPre 6. I too bought an Anker PowerCore+ (although mine is the 20100 model) and it's amazing...definitely good for recording all day if you have to. The USB-C connector seems to fit tighter than the one on the cable that comes with the MixPre 3 or 6 and I haven't had any disconnects, although I leave the 4 Eneloops in the battery sled when recording to serve as instant backup just in case.

My only complaint about the Anker Powercore is that it's not physically attached to the recorder so if you're using a bag or otherwise mobile it's not really an optimal solution. I feel the Wasabi batteries and charger in my future (also a big fan of Wasabi; I use them for my cinema camera)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Here ya go. MixPre10t powered by 14.8V Powerbase 70 (77wh) via D-Tap to Hirose cable, with a Sony L series battery in the sled. I expect this would run the MixPre10t for more than an entire day. The Powerbase 70 is a V-mount battery that also has a handy quick-release tripod plate, so the MixPre can just snap on and off the whole rig. All mounted to a Really Right Stuff tabletop tripod. My only concern is whether the little tripod will still be stable once 8 XLR cables are attached to the recorder.

MixPre 3/6 Battery life-b7ac1340-5aae-44ba-bdc2-5ad753ffc9ef.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
MixPre 3/6 Battery life-b7ac1340-5aae-44ba-bdc2-5ad753ffc9ef.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Very nice solution.
RRS themself states on site that the stand should managed 50 lbs(!) but their manual for the same stand says 15 lbs.
not sure how to interpret that.

I am using the little Feisol carbon tripod TT-15 Mk2. It’s a very nice and sturdy desktop stand. Add a ball head of your choice if needed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search