The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundDevices MixPre question Patchbays
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

SoundDevices MixPre question

..for y'all that own one:
I just ordered a MixPre 3 and it looks like it needs a USB cable that is USB-A on both ends... is that correct, and is that the one that provides bus power? Could someone let me know -- would like to order the cable on Amazon and be able to use it the minute I wake up on Christmas morning, as it were.

I read this at SD's site, and I'm not sure what is sufficient to just power it off the computer when using it as an interface.
Sound Devices - MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 Powering Options
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
..for y'all that own one:
I just ordered a MixPre 3 and it looks like it needs a USB cable that is USB-A on both ends... is that correct, and is that the one that provides bus power? Could someone let me know -- would like to order the cable on Amazon and be able to use it the minute I wake up on Christmas morning, as it were.

I read this at SD's site, and I'm not sure what is sufficient to just power it off the computer when using it as an interface.
Sound Devices - MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 Powering Options
You get the requisite Y-cable (two USB-A to one USB-C) in the box with the Mixpre-3 (though not with the 3M: for that, instead, you get the AC adapter).

See bottom of page: MixPre-3

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The USB-A cable (with the larger, square end) can only be used to hook a keyboard up to the MixPre-3 it cannot be used for audio or power.

For audio (as an audio interface) and power to the unit you’ll need to use a USB-C cable (smaller with rounded end). There is a dual cable included in the box as Roland stated, or you can pick one up anywhere. Just be aware that most USB-C to USB-A cables will only power the MixPre in low power mode, for full power you need the full USB-C to USB-C spec.

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
Worth noting... Mixpre 10 cannot be buss powered. Also, has anyone figured out a way to make the usb interface feeds not post fader?? Seems like a really strange design flaw...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
The USB-A cable (with the larger, square end) can only be used to hook a keyboard up to the MixPre-3 it cannot be used for audio or power.

For audio (as an audio interface) and power to the unit you’ll need to use a USB-C cable (smaller with rounded end). There is a dual cable included in the box as Roland stated, or you can pick one up anywhere. Just be aware that most USB-C to USB-A cables will only power the MixPre in low power mode, for full power you need the full USB-C to USB-C spec.

-Mike
Cool thanks, I guess I'll figure it out. Unit is used, so not sure if I'm getting the cable. Not a great sign when a device has its own weird cable needs (flashbacks to paying $95 for an apple power cord ten years ago) but I'll forgive SD for this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcdrum View Post
Also, has anyone figured out a way to make the usb interface feeds not post fader?? Seems like a really strange design flaw...
Ive brought this issue up with Sound Devices. They “are working on it”. Wouldn’t hurt to get a few more voices asking them about this tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Cool thanks, I guess I'll figure it out. Unit is used, so not sure if I'm getting the cable. Not a great sign when a device has its own weird cable needs (flashbacks to paying $95 for an apple power cord ten years ago) but I'll forgive SD for this.
You don’t *need* the special cable - in fact I’ve never once used it. The MixPre will run just fine in low power mode with any USB-C to USB-A cable, or you can use any of a number of battery or wall watt solutions in addition to the USB cable for full power.

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Or, of course, you can just use a standard USB-C to USB-C cable, if your computer has a USB-C port!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
If you connect a lightning-to-USB-A cable between an iOS device and the mixpre-3 you can use the mixpre as an audio interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Worth noting indeed. And perfectly understandable, considering the powers requirements of the unit when all 8 preamps are providing P48. My iPad also gives an error message when I plug it in saying that it uses too much power to be bus powered. When I use a powered hub, the iPad does not give the error message, but in Auria Pro, it only shows up as a 2+2 interface. On the MacBook Pro, it works just fine.

I agree about the USB interface feeds. They seem to be post fader only. The only semi-workaround I’ve found is: Menu -> System -> Mode: Custom -> Custom Setup -> Gain: Basic. At least that way, both gain stages are on the knobs. If you’re using the MixPre as an interface, then you’d be doing your mix on your DAW anyway, and just using the MixPre to record ISOs as a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcdrum View Post
Worth noting... Mixpre 10 cannot be buss powered. Also, has anyone figured out a way to make the usb interface feeds not post fader?? Seems like a really strange design flaw...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search