The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundDevices MixPre question Patchbays
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Maniac

SoundDevices MixPre question

..for y'all that own one:
I just ordered a MixPre 3 and it looks like it needs a USB cable that is USB-A on both ends... is that correct, and is that the one that provides bus power? Could someone let me know -- would like to order the cable on Amazon and be able to use it the minute I wake up on Christmas morning, as it were.

I read this at SD's site, and I'm not sure what is sufficient to just power it off the computer when using it as an interface.
Sound Devices - MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 Powering Options
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
..for y'all that own one:
I just ordered a MixPre 3 and it looks like it needs a USB cable that is USB-A on both ends... is that correct, and is that the one that provides bus power? Could someone let me know -- would like to order the cable on Amazon and be able to use it the minute I wake up on Christmas morning, as it were.

I read this at SD's site, and I'm not sure what is sufficient to just power it off the computer when using it as an interface.
Sound Devices - MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 Powering Options
You get the requisite Y-cable (two USB-A to one USB-C) in the box with the Mixpre-3 (though not with the 3M: for that, instead, you get the AC adapter).

See bottom of page: MixPre-3

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

The USB-A cable (with the larger, square end) can only be used to hook a keyboard up to the MixPre-3 it cannot be used for audio or power.

For audio (as an audio interface) and power to the unit you’ll need to use a USB-C cable (smaller with rounded end). There is a dual cable included in the box as Roland stated, or you can pick one up anywhere. Just be aware that most USB-C to USB-A cables will only power the MixPre in low power mode, for full power you need the full USB-C to USB-C spec.

-Mike
Old 4th September 2018
Worth noting... Mixpre 10 cannot be buss powered. Also, has anyone figured out a way to make the usb interface feeds not post fader?? Seems like a really strange design flaw...
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
The USB-A cable (with the larger, square end) can only be used to hook a keyboard up to the MixPre-3 it cannot be used for audio or power.

For audio (as an audio interface) and power to the unit you’ll need to use a USB-C cable (smaller with rounded end). There is a dual cable included in the box as Roland stated, or you can pick one up anywhere. Just be aware that most USB-C to USB-A cables will only power the MixPre in low power mode, for full power you need the full USB-C to USB-C spec.

-Mike
Cool thanks, I guess I'll figure it out. Unit is used, so not sure if I'm getting the cable. Not a great sign when a device has its own weird cable needs (flashbacks to paying $95 for an apple power cord ten years ago) but I'll forgive SD for this.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcdrum View Post
Also, has anyone figured out a way to make the usb interface feeds not post fader?? Seems like a really strange design flaw...
Ive brought this issue up with Sound Devices. They “are working on it”. Wouldn’t hurt to get a few more voices asking them about this tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Cool thanks, I guess I'll figure it out. Unit is used, so not sure if I'm getting the cable. Not a great sign when a device has its own weird cable needs (flashbacks to paying $95 for an apple power cord ten years ago) but I'll forgive SD for this.
You don’t *need* the special cable - in fact I’ve never once used it. The MixPre will run just fine in low power mode with any USB-C to USB-A cable, or you can use any of a number of battery or wall watt solutions in addition to the USB cable for full power.

-Mike
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Or, of course, you can just use a standard USB-C to USB-C cable, if your computer has a USB-C port!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
If you connect a lightning-to-USB-A cable between an iOS device and the mixpre-3 you can use the mixpre as an audio interface.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
Worth noting indeed. And perfectly understandable, considering the powers requirements of the unit when all 8 preamps are providing P48. My iPad also gives an error message when I plug it in saying that it uses too much power to be bus powered. When I use a powered hub, the iPad does not give the error message, but in Auria Pro, it only shows up as a 2+2 interface. On the MacBook Pro, it works just fine.

I agree about the USB interface feeds. They seem to be post fader only. The only semi-workaround I’ve found is: Menu -> System -> Mode: Custom -> Custom Setup -> Gain: Basic. At least that way, both gain stages are on the knobs. If you’re using the MixPre as an interface, then you’d be doing your mix on your DAW anyway, and just using the MixPre to record ISOs as a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcdrum View Post
Worth noting... Mixpre 10 cannot be buss powered. Also, has anyone figured out a way to make the usb interface feeds not post fader?? Seems like a really strange design flaw...
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I have a Mixpre 6m and i could use it as an interface with imac 10.11.6 but only on logic.
I don't see it in the system and i could not use it together with my API A2d -> roland audio card plugged in the computer.

And strange thing, since i installed "wave agent" witch is useless, i can't start audacity, it says a copy of audacity is already running ... !?!?!!????

F
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flober1970 View Post
I have a Mixpre 6m and i could use it as an interface with imac 10.11.6 but only on logic.
I don't see it in the system and i could not use it together with my API A2d -> roland audio card plugged in the computer.

And strange thing, since i installed "wave agent" witch is useless, i can't start audacity, it says a copy of audacity is already running ... !?!?!!????

F
Did you try a restart of your iMac?
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Maniac

i reinstalled Audacity and after restart i could use it, but then i lost the mixpre in logic,
leaving me with file copy only.

what a poor mac integration.

beside, I noticed that only 6 tracks could be recorded together.

I thought i was going to have a simpler way to manage my recordings, but in fact, i end up with a dual system with no obvious sync but loosing one track and doing some file transfers ....

there is also no easy way to monitor the mixpre but the minijack HP socket ...

Old 7th October 2018
Gear Maniac

just succeeded to assemble a roland / mixpre input set with Loopback app that i can use to record in logic !

oh it now appears in sound mac prefs !

Last edited by flober1970; 7th October 2018 at 02:01 PM..
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Guru

Mixpre 3 vs 3m for recording interviews

I have a gig coming up where I and another engineer will be recording remote interviews. I usually rent an expensive Sound Devices recorder. But this will involve two rigs for nearly two weeks on the road, so I should probably buy two of something. I've been looking at the Mixpre3 and 3m but can't tell why I'd want the 3 (non-m) for an extra hundred bucks (times 2).

Can anyone fill me in?

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 7th October 2018 at 07:15 PM..
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I have a gig coming up where I and another engineer will be recording remote interviews. I usually rent an expensive Sound Devices recorder. But this will involve two rigs for nearly two weeks on the road, so I should probably buy two of something. I've been looking at the Mixpre3 and 3m but can't tell why I'd want the 3 (non-m) for an extra hundred bucks (times 2).

Can anyone fill me in?
http://cdn.sounddevices.com/download...risonChart.pdf

Metadata editing, MS decoding, and timecode would be the big ones for me but YMMV.

-Mike
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

Can anyone fill me in?
Timecode reader on the 3.

Sound Devices - MixPre-3 vs MixPre-3M
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

Metadata editing, MS decoding, and timecode would be the big ones for me but YMMV.

-Mike
Thanks for the link! There's at least a chance that someone will be taking the raw files and handing me back an EDL, so the timecode's probably a good idea.

Appreciate it.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

-Mike
And don't underestimate the difference in the metering options: the Mixpre-3 has much better metering for field recording, which really matters (and which isn't so obvious when comparing specs).

Cheers,

Roland
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
And don't underestimate the difference in the metering options: the Mixpre-3 has much better metering for field recording, which really matters (and which isn't so obvious when comparing specs).
To be clear, better metering than the 3M?

I haven't installed the M plug-in on my MixPre6. You can't access the meters I'm used to seeing if you use the M variant?
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
To be clear, better metering than the 3M?

I haven't installed the M plug-in on my MixPre6. You can't access the meters I'm used to seeing if you use the M variant?
Yes, the Mixpre (as opposed to Mixpre-M) models have much better metering, horizontally across the screen, with 3 different metering views possible: the M models (or the Mixpre models using the Musician plugin) have one - very different - metering screen option only, which comprises small vertical meters for the tracks/isos, and horizontal metering across the screen for the LR mix only.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
Yes, the Mixpre (as opposed to Mixpre-M) models have much better metering, horizontally across the screen, with 3 different metering views possible: the M models (or the Mixpre models using the Musician plugin) have one - very different - metering screen option only, which comprises small vertical meters for the tracks/isos, and horizontal metering across the screen for the LR mix only.

Cheers,

Roland
Roland, thank you.

I looked in to this more, and to address a few earlier comments, another reason to buy the regular 3 is that all of the enumerated features above (timecode, metadata, MS, etc.) are present, and you can still elect to purchase the Musician plug-in later, and gain that functionality. If you buy the 3M, you are locked in to Musician functionality only.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
... another reason to buy the regular 3 is that all of the enumerated features above (timecode, metadata, MS, etc.) are present, and you can still elect to purchase the Musician plug-in later, and gain that functionality. If you buy the 3M, you are locked in to Musician functionality only.
Is the hardware identical, with the only difference being in the firmware?
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Is the hardware identical, with the only difference being in the firmware?
The 3M model lacks the physical hardware for TC input for Time of Day, Camera or LTC via Aux In. As it also lacks the micro HDMI it can not be triggered by a camera to start recording.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
The 3M model lacks the physical hardware for TC input for Time of Day, Camera or LTC via Aux In. As it also lacks the micro HDMI it can not be triggered by a camera to start recording.
Ohhhhh... it gets that stuff from the camera. Good to know.

The job I need this stuff for, there's no camera involved but timestamps on the files would be nice. Can I connect a "dummy" camera for that? Is there another way?
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ohhhhh... it gets that stuff from the camera. Good to know.

The job I need this stuff for, there's no camera involved but timestamps on the files would be nice. Can I connect a "dummy" camera for that? Is there another way?
You can just connect a tiny timecode box like the Tentacle Sync box for timecode I put to the MixPre.

-Mike
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can just connect a tiny timecode box like the Tentacle Sync box for timecode I put to the MixPre.
Thanks again!
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Just FYI, Curtis Judd at Learn Light and Sound has put together a good multi-part video tutorial on how to set up and use the MixPre series recorders (he doesn't talk about the M-series models or the Musician's Plugin). It's reasonably priced (around $40) and probably the best way to get up to speed on how to use these; it's thorough and I thought it was worth the money. I hate tutorials that just walk you through menus, and fortunately this one isn't like that: he takes you through common workflows and even teaches some theory and best practices. He also has a video in the tutorial on using the Tentacle Sync for generating timecode.
Old 11th October 2018
Gear Guru
Stupid question I have the 6M and wondering if the metering is calibrated to 0db=0? Or is O=-18db?
Not in love with the meter display since the bigger horizontal meter seems to be showing output and the other channel meters are tiny and primitive....?

Honestly love the unit but the work around's are obscure and the manual has gaps. I'll try the above tutorial, but suggested to support a guide for dummies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search