The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
James Mallinson has passed suddenly
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

James Mallinson has passed suddenly

We received very sad news yesterday that record producer James Mallinson passed away on Friday.
As a friend and colleague he will be missed.

Old 3 weeks ago
How sad. My condolences
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Often seen here in Chicago, a great link to past excellence is now lost.

Sad news.
Old 3 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Addict

I had the opportunity to work with him at the Chicago Symphony (now decades ago). Rest in peace.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

His name proudly resides on many many recordings in my collection. One of the greats.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Last edited by David Spearritt; 2 weeks ago at 01:25 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So sad and so unexpected. He will certainly be missed by many. Rest in Peace
Old 2 weeks ago
What a wonderfully open and fun-loving guy, in love with his work. That does it for me.

But-- there is some reason, having watched the video above, I keep pondering the "well this is not really absurd"ity of the concept of moving mics two inches making all the difference. It makes every difference, obviously-- but it sure speaks to me of a protocol where you take what the mikes give you and that's not just only your capture but your final mix.*

It must be a generational thing. The way I was raised, the slightest tweak of an EQ or multiband compressor will completely overwhelm the difference of two inches, even nudging a fader or two will blot out the distinction. Considering the crucial task is bending the audio to your will, you will be engaging this processing and anything else you can think of, because whatever the mikes have to say, the job at hand is a few leaps and bounds beyond that.

Just trying to understand my revisiting this for a few days... not to worry...

* (I understand the "shock value" aspect that maybe is the reason why this comment was included in the production.)
Old 1 week ago
Yeah, the two cm or inches comment gave me some pause. I've been doing this long enough to doubt a couple cm up or down from a main pair will in way change the perspective enough to be noticeable except in the most extreme circumstances. Like he said, he was not an engineer, he was a producer, and I'm sure any engineer who worked with him would have been happy to accept a mic movement instruction for the sake of appeasement if they knew the results would be the same.

Even people great at their jobs can have head scratching beliefs and ideas. Perhaps it comes from an emotional passion toward the work rather than the disconnect that comes from being overly practical. I'm sure I have my fair share of quirks that other engineers think are crazy. I have sometimes posted ideas where people thought I lost my mind. In the end, results matter more than method.

I have heard much of his discography and cannot argue with his results. All recording sessions benefit from a great producer. I find it immensely frustrating to work on projects without an organized leader.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search