The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I have been thinking a lot about the heigh of microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Nice! I just did a modern orchestra with electronic playback. Fun, a bit tricky, and for the most part, a very nice recording.

D.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
many favour omnis as main mics, i don't: i'm trying to capture mostly direct sound close to ensembles/orchestras with (close to) coincident cardioid pairs and use omnis only at the rear of halls to record as much diffuse sound as possible - because i want to have the option of changing the relationship between front and back mics in post (or while going on air). also, i mostly don't like the image i'm getting with spaced omnis (and even less with further mics on most arrays) - nothing wrong with that though, it's about taste (and mine is inferior one might say...)
I'd like to hear an example of this technique in action...can you post 2-3 minutes of one of your concerts (or rehearsals) here please ?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I'd like to hear an example of this technique in action...can you post 2-3 minutes of one of your concerts (or rehearsals) here please ?
from reading some of your other posts and our obvious disagreement on many topics such as the use of mic arrays and/or spot mics (maybe it's just different taste?) i'm not quite sure how to deal with your request...

[aside from the fact that i'm uncomfortable asking an artist/ensemble whether i could use some of their work to show it here (interesting thread on this topic going on here:]

The reason we should use more sound clips when talking about recording

...if i'd post some clips, would you like to hear the mains and rears separately? might take me a few days though as i'm currently doing some live mixing.

---

anyway, i did post something recently - here's a short excerpt, including a lenthy description on pretty much anything involved in the recording and mixing:

guess what mics were used on this orchestra recording

¡¡ please note that this is a (somewhat more elaborate) rough mix, never intended for release and hence not given all the attention !!

the purpose of the recording was that the soloist could show it to musicians/an ensemble of her choice and then record 'properly' for release; i did this as a favour - speaking of it: she ows me a coffee!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search