The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
real men don't use shock mounts
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
For isolating the feet of the mic stand, I have recently started using these. FYI, I would avoid using them on carpeted floors, as they are quite sticky. That stickiness becomes an advantage on hard floors; there is no chance of your stand scooting around.

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbo...dp/B0042U8P9C/

Another tip: You might look at the weight rating on these pads and decide you want the softer 30 duro ones, but trust me that you do not. I tried them previously, and they are almost as soft as putty. The 50 duro are quite soft as it is. If your setup is quite heavy, you might want to go up to the 70 duro version.
When I heard of these pucks (to put under speakers) I recall the advice was that only the 30 duro ones were compliant enough to cut under 30Hz. I understood the sidewall deformity to be the key and so I ended up with these donut shaped ones on furniture floor savers to put under the r88... Works a treat!
Attached Thumbnails
real men don't use shock mounts-img_20190527_121603.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Over the years, my old recording partner had found an in-line isolation fitting that went on the mic stand itself so that a normal mic clip could be used. I seem to remember it being of reasonably firm rubber. or similar damping material.

Anyone familiar with these? I've been trying to track it down and haven't had any success, cannot remember who made it and all the searches come up with suspension baskets and such rather than this obscure item.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
Over the years, my old recording partner had found an in-line isolation fitting that went on the mic stand itself so that a normal mic clip could be used. I seem to remember it being of reasonably firm rubber. or similar damping material.

Anyone familiar with these? I've been trying to track it down and haven't had any success, cannot remember who made it and all the searches come up with suspension baskets and such rather than this obscure item.
I've been searching for something similar too...a bit like the old style (I don't know what they use now ?) auto engine mounts, which were basically 2 threaded thick bolts joined together and decoupled from each other within a big (thick, quite rigid) block of rubber.

In the mic stand setting this would ideally avoid passing floor vibrations from the stand up through into the mounting bar (housing a stereo bar, for example). The tricky part would be tuning it for all the various weight combinations it could be used with...and ideally I'd see a range of them being available for specific weight ranges.

This would remove the need for individual mic suspension mounts, which tend to be visually significant and attract the ire of video operators, stage managers, etc

A simple DIY way to achieve this is to attach a mic sized (say 25mm) plastic (or metal/wood) cylindrical stub to the centre of your mic bar, and then simply jam this down into a typical suspension basket ...or Shure donut ring...on the top of your mic stand
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I seem to remember that Wes Dooley used to sell the inline shockmount you're asking about. I just looked at his website and couldn't find it, but you might contact him.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by srscpa View Post
I seem to remember that Wes Dooley used to sell the inline shockmount you're asking about. I just looked at his website and couldn't find it, but you might contact him.
Yes it sounds like an AEA kind of product...but then, it could also be a Rycote kind of thing too, visualise a sort of upscaled Invision Lyre coupling with a lower female thread to attach to the stand, and male to attach the stereo bar ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have one that goes directly on the stand like that. It's a Neumann Z 26 MT (product code 006207).

https://en-de.neumann.com/z-26-mt

It cost way too much money, as I recall. Unfortunately, in the situations in which I've tried it, it always seems either too firm or not firm enough. If the weight of your setup is just right for it, I suppose it would work well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
I have one that goes directly on the stand like that. It's a Neumann Z 26 MT (product code 006207).

It cost way too much money, as I recall. Unfortunately, in the situations in which I've tried it, it always seems either too firm or not firm enough. If the weight of your setup is just right for it, I suppose it would work well.
Yes that's the kind of product I was envisaging. Of course Neumann aren't likely to reveal the 'science' behind it: the weight range it's designed to bear, the amount of attenuation at what frequency etc.
Is there a chance that it's a one size fits all fixit solution, or should there be a variety of these available, like Rycote offers for specific mic masses ? It's certainly a step in the right direction.

It's an act of faith to buy and use such an item: at the least you could assume it has some effectiveness, and does no harm...but I'd have doubts about its application across the variety of mics, supports and weights it's asked to bear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post

Could it be the (discontinued) Ambient Floater? http://ambient.de/wp-content/uploads...07/QFL_www.pdf
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerr View Post
Could it be the (discontinued) Ambient Floater? http://ambient.de/wp-content/uploads...07/QFL_www.pdf
Definitely a strong step in the right direction, with tuneable compliance via membrane additions ! It looks like a motorbike suspension part....

Does anyone remember the old Morris 1100 Ad: "It Floats on Fluid" ?
http://www.elevenhundred.com/hydro.php
Old 1 week ago
This is similar to the one I have on my voice over microphone. https://www.bigdmc.com/rca-mic-parts...assembly-satin

I got it a Goodwill store years ago and it still works GREAT! The rubber has not deteriorated at all. It really works. I got it for $4.99.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post

I think this one was it. Says it's ~$100 from Dale.

One would think Neumann would be able to specify what mics or weight it's really designed for as there is a world of weight difference between mounting a single or pair of KM140 capsules vs something like a TLM170 vs a U69.

It sure would be a cleaner look than a basket when low visibility counts.

Upon further reading of the Neumann site it shows up in the accessories for the KMS series and says :

"Rubber shock mount which inserted between the stand and the swivel mount"

so... using their ORTF bar or the adjustable XY fitted to the swivel mount in the KMS140 set with this between that mount and the stand is probably what they intended. Would be nice if they were a bit more clear about it.

Might email Neumann USA tomorrow and ask about that.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Last edited by John Moran; 1 week ago at 11:09 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

duplicate post.

Last edited by John Moran; 1 week ago at 11:18 PM.. Reason: meh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search