The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundfield ST450 MKII or Josephson C700S Ribbon Microphones
Old 29th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I know it's not the general focus of people on this forum, but IME the 700 series is actually awesome for in you face processed vocals too. We do tons of rap with the c700a's one of my clients even got a tattoo of one...

That might be sacrilegious to some here, but they are true workhorses.

The c700s is amazing for rock guitar cabs too.
Wow, thank you very much for that! I haven't considered that, but can actually imagine that you're very right about that. I will definitely explore it.
Rock guitar cabs with a C700 must be great!

I do find the C715 too soft for rock vocals, though.

Last edited by Rumi; 29th August 2018 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Too much "that"s
Old 29th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
To give you some idea of relative quality
of the DSF-1 vs the MKV. Sennheiser MKH8040’s in XY via Gordon preamp are better than the MKV
but not better than the DSF-1. The DSF-1
is quieter and has better phase accuracy than the
MKV (some of the electronics in the preamp/processor were designed by Dave Hill (Cranesong, etc)).
That sounds very interesting. And expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Out of interest, has anyone here tried the new Soundfield By Rode decoder plug-in with an existing Soundfield mic? I was surprised by how much better it sounds than the old Surroundzone plug-in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Still at this point I've had only a few chances to work with my new C700s.

But I have to say...

This mic, few feet out in front of a acoustic guitar / vocalist, is an amazing capture.
The mic sounds wonderful. Thick, warm, and very, very detailed.
And that is with all three outputs recorded at the same level.

But the ability to control the patterns afterwards in the icing on the cake.

That being said,
THE ROOM better be good...
Already I have requested location changes due to the sonics of the room we were recording in.
I can"zoom" in with the C700s, but still a better room will make the recordings much better, and the mic made it so obvious the shortcomings of where we were at that time.

I also tried the mic about 3 - 4 feet above the floor, and 6 feet out in front of a drum kit, and got one of the most realistic recordings of that set with a near perfect balance of snare to kick, & cymbals with only the one mic.
Amazing~!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
Out of interest, has anyone here tried the new Soundfield By Rode decoder plug-in with an existing Soundfield mic? I was surprised by how much better it sounds than the old Surroundzone plug-in.
I just checked it out a bit, I can't say that I notice a big difference in SQ- but the interface is really cool. It's too bad it has almost 900 samples of latency though.

One thing I find with the C700S is I really like the sound of boosting the Z level going into either decoder. I'm not sure what this does exactly to the decoding, but it makes the result wider, and wider than I can seem to get by going to a wider spacing setting.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I also tried the mic about 3 - 4 feet above the floor, and 6 feet out in front of a drum kit, and got one of the most realistic recordings of that set with a near perfect balance of snare to kick, & cymbals with only the one mic.
Amazing~!
It's really jaw dropping on a drumset...it feels like cheating to be able to get that good of a sound that easily. Even just having it in the tracking room up on a stand placed randomly in the room and arming the tracks when someone is playing drums is eye-popping. I could see for more indy type rock just moving it away from the kit until it got the sound I wanted...then maybe a kick mic.

Also even with stereo decoding it's stunning for vocals.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search