The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bags and Bits Digital Converters
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Addict

Bags and Bits

I'm trying to optimise and better my kit slowly and it's nice to get some input from others.
Has anyone got a backpack setup for max portability? How do you organise your equipment?

Is anyone using any small organising bags like the orca or portabrace? Domke wraps? Rycote microphone case? I want to get some schoeps cables for their tiny-ness. Bongo ties? A ton of neutrik adapters?

There are all these little bags and bits that I always end up finding out about from other sound people but there is never any threads about this stuff in particular.

Anyone want to say any cool little bits that they have found that help them out?
Here's some ideas, take from it what you will...

What’s in your bag, Josh Rogosin? | NPR Training

Tag: What’s in your bag? | NPR Training
Old 29th June 2018
Lives for gear
I use a PortaBrace Organiser for music and a Nagra VI
But for kick ,bollock and scramble radio journalism that would be cumbersome
What do you record and where ?
A SD 702 and a MKH 30/30 in a full Rycote will record every event known to man if you are ingenious
Plus 2 DPA 4060s for back up, in event of Doomsday
Roger
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I use a PortaBrace Organiser for music and a Nagra VI
But for kick ,bollock and scramble radio journalism that would be cumbersome
What do you record and where ?
A SD 702 and a MKH 30/30 in a full Rycote will record every event known to man if you are ingenious
Plus 2 DPA 4060s for back up, in event of Doomsday
Roger
I record mostly small acoustic ensembles and solo artists in a variety of spaces, sometimes with an audience. Mostly 2-4 channels of microphones. I’m thinking of getting a mkh30 pair soon. A pair of boundary mics would be useful as they would eliminate 2 stands for ambience microphones. I used to own the DPA pair but I used them for everything and then just stopped using them once I got some Schoeps and I sold them. Noise was an issue. The thin cabling also stresses me out.

Pouches - Accessories

Here’s some organising bags- I don’t own any, but I have a variety of random bags acquired over the years.
Old 30th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I record mostly small acoustic ensembles and solo artists in a variety of spaces, sometimes with an audience. Mostly 2-4 channels of microphones. I’m thinking of getting a mkh30 pair soon. A pair of boundary mics would be useful as they would eliminate 2 stands for ambience microphones. I used to own the DPA pair but I used them for everything and then just stopped using them once I got some Schoeps and I sold them. Noise was an issue. The thin cabling also stresses me out.

Pouches - Accessories

Here’s some organising bags- I don’t own any, but I have a variety of random bags acquired over the years.
Those pouches ^^^ are fairly expensive. You might want to look here for some good bargains. ERROR: The request could not be satisfied

I like these Amazon.com : BUBM 3Pcs/Set Computer Cable Electronic Organizer Travel Packing Gadgets Bag Pouch for Cables, External Flash Drive, Mouse, Memory Card, Power Bank : Electronics

FWIW
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

for me, it's not so much the handling of small items that i'm concerned with but the lack of specific gear in some situations.

to avoid this, i carry a schoeps cmc6/mk41, a shure sm58s, a lake lm44, a tc gold channel, a jünger accent 2, an rme adi-642 and a single fostex 6301nd to almost any recording/gig/studio i go - fits into a beat-up 5he rack bag, manufacurer unknown, possibly made in italy some 30 years ago...

plus sharpy, laser, tool, usb-stick, drum key, e-tape, a few cables, some cash, t-shirt, passport, radial usb-di, hd25, tascam dr7 - goes into a small flight case-type suitcase, manufacturer unknown, possibly used for a 9,5" wireless mic receiver some 20 years ago...
Old 4th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
this is great, thanks for the recommendation, will look into this
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I am wondering whether there is an alternative to rack mounting for equipment that is not a standardised size. I find myself spending at least 15minutes setting up at gigs, just connecting boxes and it would be good to be able to do something similar to an SKB case but smaller in every dimension. Maybe a bag setup would be the answer, but it would be nice to have something more robust.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am wondering whether there is an alternative to rack mounting for equipment that is not a standardised size. I find myself spending at least 15minutes setting up at gigs, just connecting boxes and it would be good to be able to do something similar to an SKB case but smaller in every dimension. Maybe a bag setup would be the answer, but it would be nice to have something more robust.
Is this intended for items which don't conform to 19" rack width ? Such as 1/3 rack width for example ? You can use 19" rack shelves, but to fix the items to the shelf you may have to remove rubber feet (if attached via screws or bolts to the unit) and drill holes in the shelf and use longer screws/bolts to hold the unit to the shelf.
There may be other attachment methods (eg Velcro ) which could be OK or not, dependent on weight. Something like the tie-down used for a car battery for example ?
19" rack drawers also exist, but you probably don't want items loose inside a drawer during transport.
https://www.rackworld.com.au/accessories/shelves.html

If different depth rather than width is involved, maybe a telescopic shelf is better : Telescopic Shelf :: Rack World Systems

Even connecting up power supplies can take time on location, and there's a 19" solution to that also: AU Horizontal Basic PDU :: Rack World Systems. Of course every such addition has a weight penalty, but if the trade off vs setup time makes it viable, then it's sensible....and there are alternatives to steel: SuperMAC™ :: Rack World Systems

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 12:40 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Is this intended for items which don't conform to 19" rack width ? Such as 1/3 rack width for example ? You can use 19" rack shelves, but to fix the items to the shelf you may have to remove rubber feet (if attached via screws or bolts to the unit) and drill holes in the shelf and use longer screws/bolts to hold the unit to the shelf.
There may be other attachment methods (eg Velcro ) which could be OK or not, dependent on weight. Something like the tie-down used for a car battery for example ?
19" rack drawers also exist, but you probably don't want items loose inside a drawer during transport.
https://www.rackworld.com.au/accessories/shelves.html

If different depth rather than width is involved, maybe a telescopic shelf is better : Telescopic Shelf :: Rack World Systems
This is what I've done for some non-standard stuff, such as my TRP ribbon pre.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

What gear are you using?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
What gear are you using?
Well I might end up keeping this RME ADI-2 Pro that I'm renting. And then stuff like that, my little labs monotor, etc, my sonodore preamp, my sound devices, some old SQN or sonosax preamps if I end up buying them in the future, none of the stuff I'm really interested in atm is 19", and rack mounting it all seems a little tedious.

It would be amazing to get a pelican case like this, but open-able on both ends: 1430 Protector Top Loader Case | Pelican

and using classical location film sound style velcro and maybe foam to get everything together.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I like these options, but wish I could find a slightly more compact in width solution.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I like these options, but wish I could find a slightly more compact in width solution.
Yes I see your point....19" racking can be both weighty and bulky, to no great advantage. The big plus is strength and damage avoidance during transport (eg trucks, bus, aircraft). It's probably good to analyse the big time-consumers at location setup....is it connecting devices together, attaching power, finding a monitoring room, laying mic cables and securing stands ?

Probably all of the above...but if powering and device cabling are big ones then pre-racked pre-interconnected device chains and battery or UPS powering can help a lot...or just replace your exotica with a battery powered MixPre-x and a pair of cans Simply put, fewer boxes=less interconnection !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Probably all of the above...but if powering and device cabling are big ones then pre-racked pre-interconnected device chains and battery or UPS powering can help a lot...or just replace your exotica with a battery powered MixPre-x and a pair of cans Simply put, fewer boxes=less interconnection !
Well I am actually trying to move over to a fully battery powered setup...
Is there mini-racking? 2/3 racking? Maybe the solution is to use something like a pelican case and almost a mixed pedal board/location film recording style solution using their padded dividers and velcro all mounted on a board that could be pulled out if cabling needs to be fixed or changed. Ideally I would be able to show up, turn everything on and then set up my mics and go. It takes me roughly 15-20minutes at the moment to be able to start listening and adjusting mics (not terrible), but the more time to be able to adjust mics the better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well I am actually trying to move over to a fully battery powered setup...
Is there mini-racking? 2/3 racking? Maybe the solution is to use something like a pelican case and almost a mixed pedal board/location film recording style solution using their padded dividers and velcro all mounted on a board that could be pulled out if cabling needs to be fixed or changed. Ideally I would be able to show up, turn everything on and then set up my mics and go. It takes me roughly 15-20minutes at the moment to be able to start listening and adjusting mics (not terrible), but the more time to be able to adjust mics the better.
Yes the electric guitarist solution to multiple effects pedal transport is a good idea: get yourself a rectangular guitar roadcase/flightcase....you can find used ones quite cheap. They're robust and roadworthy (naturally !), the ideal 1RU in height, easily drilled to allow for cable ingress/egress (hey, you could even mount xlr sockets in the side edge of the flight-case, for incoming mic lines !)

Accessories Hard Cases Electric Cases
Joyo RD1 Pedal Case with Trolley Wheels and Telescopic Handle

If only you could get all your exotica running on 9 volt DC, you'd simply add the following pedal-powering box and be ready to go power wise: JP02 LED Power Supply Brick for Effects Pedals - Joyo

The flight cases are already protected with foam, velour or soft carpet inside....and attaching your boxes within is as easy as drilling small holes in the outer case and threading long ty-wraps around the devices and thru the holes. You can easily snip the wraps off with side-cutters when necessary.

Find a set of foldable or telescoping picnic or card table legs and attach them to the underside of the flightcase = instant table ! As the devices will all be pre-connected inside the case (signal and power), this is a big timesaver on location.

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 06:50 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search