The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell Repair Nightmare Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

sorry to hear about all these unpleasant situations - but frankly, it may happen with any company: i once went to court with a neumann distributor (after not cleaning/repairing two mics but actually destroying the capsules!) - i won the case but couldn't use the mics for more than a year if i remember right...
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
The lesson learned here is to send the mics directly to MG for any servicing. Rather going going through the distributor who can hold them up for months as they get sent in batches.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

The real lesson is to work with tools that can be quickly fixed if you have a problem.
If the distributor is not good, it's the manufacturer choice fault.
When you want to keep your clients you take care of them and don't blame anyone in your team for a problem, you are the responsible.
A distributor is a part of the manufacturer's team.

I had problems with some Neumann microphones (represented by Sennheiser here in Switzerland) and all the guys were all the time ready to do their best to give me fast solutions, and it works. As a professional I'm really satisfied.

In another way I ordered for the first time (and the last time) some Schoeps via the official Switzerland distributor at the end of last year and it has been a real nightmare. The microphones are of course great, but the distributor here, it's a shame. I really hope the microphones won't fail.

Even with expensive gear you can have troubles, but when you pay expensive gear you pay for quality but also for service.

Fred

Last edited by fred2bern; 2nd April 2019 at 08:02 PM..
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

MicRehab is not real. Should never be mentioned here in the same breath as "Gefell."
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The lesson learned here is to send the mics directly to MG for any servicing. Rather going going through the distributor who can hold them up for months as they get sent in batches.
NB: there is no Gefell distributor in the USA - only dealers.

But they have recently appointed Claudia Haase as their official US contact (I gave her details earlier).
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
NB: there is no Gefell distributor in the USA - only dealers.

But they have recently appointed Claudia Haase as their official US contact (I gave her details earlier).

Just realised I have published the incorrect e-mail for Claudia.

The correct e-mail is:- claudia(at)streamworkz.us

(She was using American and I heard "zee" as "vee" - in the UK we say "zed" for the letter Z)

So, claudia(at)streamworkz.us is the correct e-mail - and, yes, she is the Gefell conatct in the USA for repairs.
Old 7th April 2019
That should go a long way to streamline the repair process.

I am not certain if I ever finished off this post but after the mics were finally back in my hands, Gefell had done a nice job of repairing my two UM70S units and matching them as well. They sent Chamber graphs that show my two mics, somewhat different in age, as matching very nicely.

D.

Last edited by tourtelot; 9th April 2019 at 08:22 AM..
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict

John, Thanks for posting the e-mail for the new US Gefell repair contact! I have a pair of mk221 capsules that need servicing. Earlier this year I sent several e-mails to different addresses I found on the Gefell website but never received a reply.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

I had the same issue. Finally, got my mic back from another Nashville tech that did the work that Shannon was supposed to do. I wouldn’t recommend Shannon or Mic Rehab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
MicRehab had my mic for a simple mod/repair from October 2018 till a couple days ago. After responding to a few inquiries with "should be starting repair soon" in January and then again in February and then failing to respond in March to a dozen or so phone messages with polite requests to send it back to me unrepaired wth a shipping label I supply, I had a local contact go over and retrieve my microphone.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
John, Thanks for posting the e-mail for the new US Gefell repair contact! I have a pair of mk221 capsules that need servicing. Earlier this year I sent several e-mails to different addresses I found on the Gefell website but never received a reply.
Are your MK221 capsules ones that
came with your Josephson 617’s?
If so I would contact Josephson for help.
Besides being a Gefell dealer for measurement
mics, it is my understanding that Josephson
gets specially selected (tighter frequency tolerance) MK221 capsules to use with their 617’s.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Are your MK221 capsules ones that
came with your Josephson 617’s?
Yeah, they are, and I contacted Josephson first. I definitely could have gotten them swapped, but it was out of my budget and I couldn't justify the expense during a move to a new city. I ended up speaking with another person who's gotten them repaired directly from Gefell for cheaper and without having to wait, but I'm not sure if they match the spec from Josephson. I also had to get my c700s repaired after a colleague broke it, and the service was top notch as always. I may just wait and get them from Josephson in the future, but I'd like to know what my options are.
Old 10th April 2019
Quote:
but I'm not sure if they match the spec from Josephson.
Sincere question; what would lead you to question the spec of a Gefell product repaired by Gefell's own service department? Do you know that Josephson does any tweeking, or even cherry picks Gefell heads for their amps? I really don't know, and would be interested in your thoughts on the question.

D.

PS. I came within a few days of buying a pair of these and just missed out. I was bummed, and they are on my "short list".
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Sincere question; what would lead you to question the spec of a Gefell product repaired by Gefell's own service department? Do you know that Josephson does any tweeking, or even cherry picks Gefell heads for their amps? I really don't know, and would be interested in your thoughts on the question.

D.

PS. I came within a few days of buying a pair of these and just missed out. I was bummed, and they are on my "short list".
I've never heard anything like that but was simply referencing "Folkies" post that I was replying to in which he said he had heard Josephson has a tighter matching spec. I don't doubt Gefell's service department at all. The c617set / mk221 is really an incredible setup if you want super realistic, for better or worse!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post

D.

Yes, I read an interview with David Josephson
where he talked about getting tighter spec’ed
capsules for the 617’s. You can always call
Josephson if you want to hear it directly from
them.
PS I love my 617’s-like being there.
Old 10th April 2019
Thanks all.

D.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Here’s a 10 min interview with David Josephson
about the technical details of the C617 design
and including the info. about the tighter specification for the MK221 capsules.

YouTube
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
I am always happy to help if I can - I can only do UK officially - but if anyone outside my area has a problem I am always happy to help if I can and direct the question to the right person.

After all - I still keep getting Sennheiser questions that I answer, even though I left there about 10 years ago.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah, they are, and I contacted Josephson first. I definitely could have gotten them swapped, but it was out of my budget and I couldn't justify the expense during a move to a new city. I ended up speaking with another person who's gotten them repaired directly from Gefell for cheaper and without having to wait, but I'm not sure if they match the spec from Josephson. I also had to get my c700s repaired after a colleague broke it, and the service was top notch as always. I may just wait and get them from Josephson in the future, but I'd like to know what my options are.
If you told Gefell that the capsules were Josephson ones, they should have been repaired to original Josephson spec.

I'm not sure what Josephson dictates for his OEM capsules - it may just be a tighter tolerance; but if Gefell knew they were Josephon ones I would have thought that the repair would have them back to full Josephson spec.

After repair Gefell put them back into the anechoic chamber and measure them to ensure they are fully back to original spec.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

The Gefell for Josephson capsules are engraved with Josephson (not to mention the serial number is allocated to Josephson.)
Returning to original spec means returning to the quality that was picked for sale to Josephson.

The difference is tolerance (supposedly the capsules for others sent out by Gefell is +-2 dB where Josephson requests +-1dB.)

My C617set mics 20Hz-10kHz are less than 0.2 dB deviation (zero incidence) on the included graph (but who knows what precision/smoothing is used.) My DPA 4011 and 4006 mics' charts have a written number on their chart stating their deviation which isn't on the Gefell chart. Speaking to Josephson (this was in regards to buying some additional c617set mics to match my current stock) they don't "tune" the capsule; it is just preselected by Gefell. [And therefore, Josephson expects all their c617set mics to "match" though they did offer to recheck all my current mics to make sure nothing had changed from use for both mic bodies and capsules]
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search