The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

New import duties on US audio gear in the EU Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

New import duties on US audio gear in the EU

FYI: as a counter-measure in reaction the new US import tariffs on steel and aluminium, the EU has announced a list of US products that will be taxed extra. I checked out that list of some 1,300 product categories (see attachment) and found the following percentages for stuff that people in this forum would buy. As far as I can see Sound Devices recorders (for example) would be hit hard by this measure. The tariffs are active from this upcoming weekend, June 24, 2018.

85437005 Portable battery operated electronic readers for recording and reproducing text, still image or audio file: 50%.

85437006 Digital signal processing apparatus capable of connecting to a wired or wireless network for the mixing of sound: 50%.

85437010 Electrical machines with translation or dictionary functions: 50%.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tradoc_156909.pdf (391.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very bad news... so now it's the moment to buy.
I read on forums that the new mixpre recorders have some firmware problems and ultrasonic noise. Are they mature products or for professional use it's better to wait until buy them? Since they are expensive I want a fully functional product
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is important to understand the impossibility of fairly dealing with trade and tariff issues with subjective limited tunnel vision. Regions such as the Euro Union, Pacific Rim & N. America have been adjusting various National punitive protective tariff accommodations since the 1932 world wide tariff war melt down. At the core of the issue is protective National interests in various industries that have evolved into massive financial out of balance trade. The US generates apx. half of the industrial world's GDP and our production output/consumption ratio is not sustainable long term.
Blowing up the world's current tariff structure is about 30 years over due and ultimately when even, fair objective thinking governs new trade agreements perhaps most of us will be better off.
Hugh
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
FYI: as a counter-measure in reaction the new US import tariffs on steel and aluminium, the EU has announced a list of US products that will be taxed extra.
At least you have the "satisfaction" of knowing that this is not the EU's fault. The US completely owns this stupidity. Yet because the guy sitting in the big chair insists on being a bully, the whole world has to pay for his fits of pique. Any economist knows that there's no winning a trade war. But a half assed "business man" with four bankruptcies to his credit, not so much apparently. Sigh...

As Bugs Bunny would say: "what a maroon!"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Unhappy

What is likely to happen is that people in the EU will just not buy the product with the higher tariff at all, badly affecting the US manufacturer.

Then, when Trump comes to his senses and reverses the policy, tariffs will revert to normal and people start buying again.

So people wait until things revery to normal and would only buy at the higher price if the item is essential, needed *now* and they cannot wait.

In these trade wars there is never any winner, only losers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Seems that conditions would become viable for black marketeering, shipping goods between countries by 3rd parties who would sidestep the official trading routes between manufacturers and distributors ?

There could be a whole bunch of proxy buying and individual parcels criss-crossing the Atlantic ? Wait until wild card China enters the fray....things might get really interesting then....I suppose a trade war is better than a thermonuclear one.
Trump could scarcely be initiating this on his own 'intelligence'....I wonder who's advising him in this folly ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

old europe here: i shall go through my equipment trying to find any (current design) that was made in the us; i'll keep you posted if i can find any... - 'fair' enough?

one piece is for s(h)ure though: an mci jh500, made in the mid seventies! sent big bucks to the us; maybe i should have bought a different (european) design?!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
old europe here: i shall go through my equipment trying to find any (current design) that was made in the us; i'll keep you posted if i can find any... - 'fair' enough?

one piece is for s(h)ure though: an mci jh500, made in the mid seventies! sent big bucks to the us; maybe i should have bought a different (european) design?!
That sort of jingoistic thinking plays exactly to the sort of 'us vs them' insular, seige mentality that feeds trade wars...Trump would be very proud of you
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That sort of jingoistic thinking plays exactly to the sort of 'us vs them' insular, seige mentality that feeds trade wars...Trump would be very proud of you
...this time you didn't get my humor :-)

serious now: the vast majority of my gear is of european origin, but for ecological (and a few other) reasons - not because i would support the political agenda you were referring to!

(studer, weiss, neutrik, paiste are just around the corner, most mic manufacturers too)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
no, I didn't believe you could be both parochial and serious at the same time ....and your country (plus near neighbours) is (disproportionately) blessed with some of the best gear (and designer/creators) that money can buy..you could be forgiven for buying 'purely local' !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This thread is a TRAP!
The subject matter of this thread is inextricably entwined with politics...

...And yet Rule#6 of GearSlutz Forum Rules clearly establishes a "zero-tolerance" policy against such subject matters.
...As Rule #6 states:
"Politics and religion are prohibited topics on Gearslutz. This is an area where we take a zero-tolerance stance - please take your political and religious discussions elsewhere.

The same applies for "serious social issues" which may turn into political or religious discussion."
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
This thread is a TRAP!
The subject matter of this thread is inextricably entwined with politics...

...And yet Rule#6 of GearSlutz Forum Rules clearly establishes a "zero-tolerance" policy against such subject matters.
...As Rule #6 states:
"Politics and religion are prohibited topics on Gearslutz. This is an area where we take a zero-tolerance stance - please take your political and religious discussions elsewhere.

The same applies for "serious social issues" which may turn into political or religious discussion."
I disagree - it was someone pointing out that tariffs can affect Europe and if they do, to buy now before the price goes up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I disagree - it was someone pointing out that tariffs can affect Europe and if they do, to buy now before the price goes up.
I echo John's disagreement....it's about commerce, which is nether political nor religious...no more contentious than me calling you ECC83
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the fact that you disagree only helps to prove my point!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Well, the fact that you disagree only helps to prove my point!
Not at all - there are many contentious issues on Gearslutz that have nothing at all to do with Religion or Politics.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I echo John's disagreement....it's about commerce, which is nether political nor religious...no more contentious than me calling you ECC83
Funny you should mention that.

(ECC83 is my middle name.)
...But I'm not sure I fully understand your position:

Are you arguing that the subject matter of tarrifs imposed upon us by politicians is somehow not a "serious social issue"?

...Or are you arguing that a discussion thereof would be unlikely to "turn into political discussion"?

...Or both?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Funny you should mention that.

(ECC83 is my middle name.)
...But I'm not sure I fully understand you:

Are you arguing that the subject matter of tarrifs imposed upon us by politicians are somehow not "serious social issues" or are you arguing that they are unlikely to "turn into political discussion"?

...Or both?
The tariffs issue impinges on our ability to be true Gearslutz and buy our 'tools of trade' without undue impediment...if that's deemed 'political', then the moderators might step in with a volley of buckshot across the bows (or a warning first) ?
I'll take your advice in its intended good spirit though, and no longer refer to Tr*mp by name in this thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...]there are many contentious issues on Gearslutz that have nothing at all to do with Religion or Politics.

This is true.

...But I cannot recall a single one of 'em that was born out of reaction to some sort of govenment action.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is true.

...But I cannot recall a single one of 'em that was born out of reaction to some sort of govenment action.
Until now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
This is true.

The funny thing is, though, is that the only contensious comments on this thread have nothing to do with "politics" and was started by you.

Otherwise it was a perfectly calm and uncontentious thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

now that we've sorted out all critical issues surrounding the topic: can someone please explain to me how the imposed taxes will help a company like gibson?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Until now.
Okay.

...Well then please help me understand by answering a question I asked above (which still remains unanswered):
Are you arguing that the subject matter of tarrifs imposed upon us by politicians is somehow not a "serious social issue"?

...Or are you arguing that a discussion thereof would be unlikely to "turn into political discussion"?

...Or both?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The funny thing is, though, is that the only contensious comments on this thread have nothing to do with "politics" and was started by you.

Otherwise it was a perfectly calm and uncontentious thread.
I was unaware of any rule against being contensious.
(But I guess you missed post #8.)

Last edited by 12ax7; 4 weeks ago at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Added link to example
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I still contend (without contention !) that we're likely to be only peripherally concerned with politics in this thread as it evolves, since it's the commercial transactions of acquiring gear which are the subject matter.

Tariff avoidance (on an individual level) might emerge as a matter of individual civil disobedience and non-compliance...but that's hardly censorious content per se...it's just predictable human behaviour in the face of unfair legislation.

So I think we're on pretty safe ground thus far... unless ECC83 is running for junior moderatorship (psst..I don't think there are any vacancies, all positions are currently taken)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The mods are smart folk. Why don't we let them do what's necessary when necessary.

Seems civil, so far.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
[...] Seems civil, so far.
Exactly...

There can certainly be no wrongdoing in over-compliance to a zero-tolerance policy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh, and I forgot about the ubiquitous Neutrik. That one is gonna hurt me.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
FYI: as a counter-measure in reaction the new US import tariffs on steel and aluminium, the EU has announced a list of US products that will be taxed extra. I checked out that list of some 1,300 product categories (see attachment) and found the following percentages for stuff that people in this forum would buy. As far as I can see Sound Devices recorders (for example) would be hit hard by this measure. The tariffs are active from this upcoming weekend, June 24, 2018.

85437005 Portable battery operated electronic readers for recording and reproducing text, still image or audio file: 50%.

85437006 Digital signal processing apparatus capable of connecting to a wired or wireless network for the mixing of sound: 50%.

85437010 Electrical machines with translation or dictionary functions: 50%.
There seems to be no logical connection between type of goods and tariff to be imposed (ie a lower % for simple non-processed foods or basic items vs higher % for tech-intensive gear like recorders)...it seems to be a random distribution of imposts with the majority being 25% and a lesser proportion being 50%. Unfortunately the audio-specific items seem to fall in the 50% basket. Most (all ?) audio cables are copper...you'd hope they escape the aluminium/steel target
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

50% EXTRA duty on Digital signal processing apparatus?

Holy smokes.

There goes any possibility of me ever owning a Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

and Rycote, Manfrotto
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search