The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
20-20k hearing if you want it ?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

20-20k hearing if you want it ?

Eyes and ears getting you down, no longer 20-20 ?

Not to worry, your replacement is on its way: https://indaily.com.au/news/science-...istant-future/

Maybe for a little extra outlay you'll be able to specify the Extreme version (4-40k)....to justify those new hi-res mics and converters you'll be needing
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Eyes and ears getting you down, no longer 20-20?
This is perhaps an extremely optimistic assessment of the state of the art. But I would be very happy if the article turns out to be true.

Thing is, I don't want just a replacement. I want to augment. Why have just 20/20 vision? I want some telephoto function so I can zoom in on distant objects. I want better night vision. Heck, I want infra-red capabilities too. Plus I want to connect my eyes to computer displays -- local weather, augmented reality, heads up display in the car, read a book while taking a Lyft across town (without having to find and carry a physical book of course), etc.

As for ears, I don't think I'd like being flat out to 40 kHz so I'd like it to be switchable just in case. But I'd certainly take flat to 20 kHz. It might be interesting to go down to 8-10 Hz too. As long as these new ears are connected. So I can listen to music from my phone, and take phone calls, connect to my car, use my phone as a microphone (shove it across the table so I can hear my dinner companion in a noisy restaurant), etc. Not to mention noise cancellation! And volume control!

Maybe make them work together -- listen to the music and do the augmented reality thing to have the eyes display information about that chunk of music like composer, orchestra, conductor, recording date information, etc.

All this, but we have to be able to control it individually, so we can turn it off when we want it off, or limit it when we want it limited. And no access to our data stream for greedy corps that would just fill our heads, literally, with non-stop ads.

But I'm guessing the connectivity is going to be awhile.

First things first, let's help the disabled, the people who need it. Old guys like me who just want it, head to the back of the line.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Oh, and don't forget the absolutely MOST important part. You'll need to have a hack-PROOF firewall that will keep the creeps in the government (and the dark web) from being able to access your data. Critical, my friends!

D.

Step 1: Turn Alexa off
Step 2: Disconnect Alexa from your network and from AC power
Step 3: Dig a deep hole in your back yard
Step 4: Put Alexa in that hole
Step 5: Cover Alexa well with dirt (and maybe rocks)
Step 6: Forget completely where you buried Alexa

Life will be better and a good sight more secure
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Oh, and don't forget the absolutely MOST important part. You'll need to have a hack-PROOF firewall that will keep the creeps in the government (and the dark web) from being able to access your data. Critical, my friends!
I thought that went without saying. But of course it doesn't. Medical device makers seem to not give a single thought to security. We'll have to force that issue.

They'll have to prove some level of security before I'll let them stick it in my body. I'd hate to have someone hijack my eyeballs, or my ears. Or my pacemaker if it comes to that.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
This is perhaps an extremely optimistic assessment of the state of the art. But I would be very happy if the article turns out to be true.

Thing is, I don't want just a replacement. I want to augment. Why have just 20/20 vision? I want some telephoto function so I can zoom in on distant objects. I want better night vision. Heck, I want infra-red capabilities too. Plus I want to connect my eyes to computer displays -- local weather, augmented reality, heads up display in the car, read a book while taking a Lyft across town (without having to find and carry a physical book of course), etc.
Can we get X-ray vision too, while we're at it? (Except I want to be bale to turn the x-ray vision off, when I don't want it )
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Can we get X-ray vision too, while we're at it? (Except I want to be bale to turn the x-ray vision off, when I don't want it )
There are, indeed, some things you do not want to see . . .

Last edited by MBBCFP; 4 days ago at 11:24 AM..
Old 5 days ago
>> "The first technology implementations still involve cranium surgery where you open up the skull and you put an implant into the brain"

I'll check back in on this thread in about 20 years
Old 4 days ago
Lemme recommend a great book here - Mother of Storms, by John Barnes.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

.....a slight diversion, but I just saw these....and am somewhat lost as to an appropriate response.

Advertised elsewhere as having 'protein leather' for the earcups, I guess something 'interesting' could thus be expected to follow...and we're richly rewarded indeed !

Meters OV-1 Noise Cancelling Headphones in Tan | Meters Music

The following is a direct copy/paste from the webpage: "LISTEN RESPOSABLY
Active Visual Monitoring - The VU meter featured on the left and right ears of the headphones are a line-level signal indicator designed to make others around aware of how loud your music is"

At least if you go deaf from high SPL's with these on.....you know you're not to blame (it's everyone around you..... who didn't alert you)

it could be a handy tool for audiologists: "Now buddy, just turn up these headphones to what's a typical loudness for your everyday listening please"

I think it's time to repose myself.......oh, and they're noise-cancelling too !
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

You know us audio geeks. The more meters the better.

D.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

D.

Step 1: Turn Alexa off
Step 2: Disconnect Alexa from your network and from AC power
Step 3: Dig a deep hole in your back yard
Step 4: Put Alexa in that hole
Step 5: Cover Alexa well with dirt (and maybe rocks)
Step 6: Forget completely where you buried Alexa

Life will be better and a good sight more secure
Or seek out councelling for buying it in the first place.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know us audio geeks. The more meters the better.

D.
Yeah, of course...but these you can't even see !

I can envisage drinking competitions at neighbourhood bars and pubs, guys daring each other to see how many "into the deep red" minutes of AC/DC rock they can stand .....before their ears start bleeding !

Winner is last man left standing....deafness before dishonour
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search