The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Manfrotto Greatest Hits
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Manfrotto Greatest Hits

I have been putting together a wishlist of manfrotto products for the past few weeks and want to pull the trigger soon on at least some of it.
It's amazing the possibilities if you start thinking creatively.
What manfrotto ideas have you had?
What's in your bag?
Anything to share?
Anything you couldn't live without?

Manfrotto:
244N Magic arm
035 [Magic arm] Super clamp (and spigot and adapters)
059 Dado
1004 master stand
172 weights
124 clamp
494 ball head or 026 Lite Tite to create right angles between a boom and a stereo bar
099 Extension rod

are all there alongside some bushings and adapters, then a second 1051 stand, a nano stand and then a heavy duty stand and more extension rods are on the agenda over the next 6 months.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I love Manfrotto products! They are well engineered and well built.

Couldn't live without a few Super clamps in my kit, along with a bunch of different studs and solid extension arms. The Magic Arm is another problem solver that allows you to appear graceful in a moment of panic when you are trying to configure something to something else and you are out of tricks.

BTW, I walked into a thrift store today hoping to find a couple of work shirts and walked out with a Manfrotto 55XProB tripod fitted with a 229 head, for $20 Canadian (about $15USD). With the right fixtures and adapters I will use it to support Camcorders, DSLRs, projectors, portable audio recorders for the rest of my natural born days. I can't see a single point of failure (without extreme abuse) ever in something with such a robust build.

You pay a bit more for quality, but you cry a lot less, imo.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I have been putting together a wishlist of manfrotto products for the past few weeks and want to pull the trigger soon on at least some of it.
It's amazing the possibilities if you start thinking creatively.
What manfrotto ideas have you had?
What's in your bag?
Anything to share?
Anything you couldn't live without?

Manfrotto:
244N Magic arm
035 [Magic arm] Super clamp (and spigot and adapters)
059 Dado
1004 master stand
172 weights
124 clamp
494 ball head or 026 Lite Tite to create right angles between a boom and a stereo bar
099 Extension rod

are all there alongside some bushings and adapters, then a second 1051 stand, a nano stand and then a heavy duty stand and more extension rods are on the agenda over the next 6 months.
In addition to the stuff on your list I always have with me:
- more 035 Super Clamps
- more 1004 Master Stands to hold screens, cloths etc. besides extra room mics
- Backlite Stand 012B
- a few Spring Clamps 175 to hold absorber cushions
- Flexible Arms 237
- Extension 042 for use with Super Clamps
- lots of different studs to improvise connections
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

One thing I'm wondering about for the future is making a manfrotto version of a panamic cathedral stand style stand (i.e. heavy round base, boom, boom...) Has anyone tried that for when the wide base of most manfrottos would create too much visual messiness right in front of the musicians? The other option is booming from the side with something like the 269 stand.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
In addition to the stuff on your list I always have with me:
- more 035 Super Clamps
- more 1004 Master Stands to hold screens, cloths etc. besides extra room mics
- Backlite Stand 012B
- a few Spring Clamps 175 to hold absorber cushions
- Flexible Arms 237
- Extension 042 for use with Super Clamps
- lots of different studs to improvise connections
Great recommendations, especially for photography and video applications.

I'm surprised I've never seen anyone creatively use the 627 panoramic head or similar as part of a stereo microphone angling system.

I'm also surprised that I've seen a few lighting booms with a mechanical control on one end to angle the other end which would be great for audio work.

The faster that stands and cables work with you, the more time for re-angling and adjustment.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

YouTube
I can't seem to even find this boom never mind more like it, but it seems really useful for audio (skip to 1:40)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For microphones?
And surely only one?
three would be hilarious and bulky to see, one for each mic and one for the whole system...
Particularly in one-stand live situations this helps finding the correct angling of the whole array very quickly. When your mics are high up above an orchestra and you have to bring down the array every time you want to make a small change this is very time consuming. With this head you simply can stay on the ground and listen to the adjustments in real time. It's quite a light thing.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
One thing I'm wondering about for the future is making a manfrotto version of a panamic cathedral stand style stand (i.e. heavy round base, boom, boom...) Has anyone tried that for when the wide base of most manfrottos would create too much visual messiness right in front of the musicians? The other option is booming from the side with something like the 269 stand.
I bought one of these:
Black Small Foot Base

it fits my manfrotto/Wesdooley 3 part extension tube (goes to 3m50). I put a cheapo boom arm on it, in two sections, with either 1m40 reach or 2m up.

Works nicely if you can put the stand on-stage.

+1 on the Dado by the way. I use it all the time for blumlein and vertically aligned MS microphones.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
I wish Manfrotto would reissue their 3-tier keyboard stand. I loved that stand! An A-frame style that could be set up and torn down in seconds and solid as a rock. I believe it was distributed by Korg under the "Keyman Stand Innovations" brand. FWIW Sequenz (also distributed by Korg) has similar hardware design but they don't have a 3-tier version as far as I can tell.

Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
BTW, I walked into a thrift store today hoping to find a couple of work shirts and walked out with a Manfrotto 55XProB tripod fitted with a 229 head, for $20 Canadian (about $15USD). With the right fixtures and adapters I will use it to support Camcorders, DSLRs, projectors, portable audio recorders for the rest of my natural born days. I can't see a single point of failure (without extreme abuse) ever in something with such a robust build.

You pay a bit more for quality, but you cry a lot less, imo.
I wish I had seen that! I saw a few tripods in a value village yesterday and hoped I'd have similar luck.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I wish I had seen that! I saw a few tripods in a value village yesterday and hoped I'd have similar luck.
I am currently in BC, so no chance you could have beaten me to this one
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search