The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Manfrotto Greatest Hits Condenser Microphones
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Unless you need to buy these I'd look into what you can rent from a local grip+electric co (movie lighting) per-use. In Chicago there have to numerous outfits with big collections of this kind of thing. Even in a small market like SF I have no trouble renting what I need as needed.

Last edited by philper; 5th August 2018 at 04:48 AM..
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear
One bit of Manfrotto goodness I never leave home without is the 244 Micro Friction Arm Kit. Hands down the most useful thing in my bag. I’ve clamped these things onto chair legs, table tops, speaker cabs, c stands, tripods, and more.

One of the most typical scenarios is singing guitarists. You just clamp the 244 onto the vocal mic stand and attach your guitar spot mic to it. Much more compact and low profile than those clamp-on mic boom things.

Recently, I learned that by removing the clamp part, I can screw it into the SmallRig frame for my GH5, and it makes a brilliant articulated arm for an external monitor. An indispensable piece of kit.

Photo variable friction arm with Anti-rotation attachment

Use a 1/4-20 to 5/8 adapter to attach a mic.

Last edited by bwanajim; 5th August 2018 at 05:46 PM..
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear
Non-Manfrotto, but still very useful, is this clamp (available in a few sizes) which I use to clamp a small HD video camera to handrails, front/top of church pews etc. With suitable thread adapters it can be used for mic mounting also. Lightweight, low-cost and adaptable to any angle of usage: Zylight Adjustable Clamp 19-02009 B&H Photo Video

Advantage over the Manfrotto version that Jim recommends in post #32 is that it clamp tightens for all degrees of freedom, rather than relying on the friction of ball joints.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks Studer! I can see some good uses for that. In fact, it could be used with the 244 for a wider range of clamping possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Non-Manfrotto, but still very useful, is this clamp (available in a few sizes) which I use to clamp a small HD video camera to handrails, front/top of church pews etc. With suitable thread adapters it can be used for mic mounting also. Lightweight, low-cost and adaptable to any angle of usage: Zylight Adjustable Clamp 19-02009 B&H Photo Video

Advantage over the Manfrotto version that Jim recommends in post #32 is that it clamp tightens for all degrees of freedom, rather than relying on the friction of ball joints.
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Thanks Studer! I can see some good uses for that. In fact, it could be used with the 244 for a wider range of clamping possibilities.
Where it is less optimal would be with heavier LD mics...it's fine with lightweight SD mics and small handi-cams, but the plastic clamps would have pressure limits and might break or sag if presented with excessive weight, unlike the Manfrotto mount.... which looks indestructible !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search