The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help recording accordion + classical guitar Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Help recording accordion + classical guitar

Dear members
Could you share you experience or ideas about how to record and accordion and a classical guitar ?

The location is a small/medium hall, with nice acoustics (I guess I can use some of that room sound) and I will have a pair of Schoeps Omnis 2H and 2 Schoeps cardioids.
The main problem is the sound balance because the accordion has a huge sound compared to the guitar. Would you recommend using both cardioids as spots for the guitar, and capture the accordion only with the omnis ? (I thought AB pair not far from both musicians)

Thanks, in advance
Esteban

Last edited by Herman Heil; 18th May 2018 at 01:08 PM..
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
Few questions first: is this a concert, with perhaps a PA system also involved...or just a recording session ? Does the accordion have an accompanying role or are they both equal lead roles ? Can you provide links to any samples (eg Soundcloud, YouTube) of the sort of pieces to be recorded ?
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

It is a recording session. Both instruments have an equal rol, sometimes the accordion is leading, sometimes the guitar.
It is contemporary music, quite in the style of Arvo Part works.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
Don't forget that, if you expect to use close miking on the accordion, that bass and treble elements exit from different parts of the instrument, which is why 2 mics are often used in PA situations...and might be relevant for recording in getting a desired balance from the accordion (less crucial if miking from a distance) ?

Another option might be to place an AB pair between the 2 players, and have them facing each other...perhaps each of them at the optimal distance from the mic pair (to be determined by listening). This gives no rebalancing during mixing, so you have to get it right at the session...but it might give you a very 'pure' stereo, esp if each of the players sits so that they slightly favour opposite mics of the AB pair (ie sitting not directly opposite each other, but slightly offset by 20-40 cms)

Plan on incorporating some recording experiments, ideally in the same room as for the session, perhaps during their rehearsals...so you can investigate some of the possibilities
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

That was my initial idea, to sit them facing each other, but the difference is so big between the accordion and the guitar, that the accordion should sit very far...

Then I came with the idea of an AB at 1.5/2m and get the accordion from there (plus a bit of the guitar), and close mike the guitar with both cardioids.
Old 18th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Heil View Post
Then I came with the idea of an AB at 1.5/2m and get the accordion from there (plus a bit of the guitar), and close mike the guitar with both cardioids.
After reading your earlier explanations, this would be the first thing I would try in such a situation (ideally with them still facing each other, for maximum separation on the guitar spots).
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Thank you Luke.
In this case (if both musicans would sit facing each other) would you place the omnis in AB pointing the accordion?
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

my setup of both musicians and mics would be depending of how/where the musicians or composer want to hear the instruments in the stereo panorama.

i'd start out with a cardioid on each instrument and use the omni pair for the mains (assuming that an omni in front of the guitar would probably pick up too much from the accordion). i'd set the guitar mic closer to the guitar than the accordion mic. you might also try to have the guitar positioned closer to the mains to compensate for the lower volume.

many accordion players (still to my surprise) want to hear less from the lower register/left side of the instrument; this (and the composition) could give you some indication on where to put the cardioid for the accordion.

no chance you could get another mic to pick up the accordion from both sides?

(in another thread, i have some samples of an accordion playing along with an orchestra; mics on the accordion were schoeps x/y, even narrowed down in mix to make the instrument not sound too wide and portray it in the actual position between 1st violin and the conductor)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search