The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
small choir and small orchestra Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th May 2018
small choir and small orchestra

I've done this kind of thing many times, but I am interested in how other people approach the task.

The situation:
Choir: 26 voice mixed (male and female)
Orchestra: violin-6, viola-2, cello-2, 1 bass, organ (electric with built in speaker)
Program: Vivaldi to some 21st century dude whose name I do not remember
Venue: capacity crowd of 400 people in a modern church with average acoustics
The “stage” is about 30 feet by 30 feet, with the orchestra occupying about 22 feet by 12 feet and the choir behind the orchestra on risers, 22 feet by 11 feet. From a point 2 feet behind the conductor, the orchestral angle is about 100 to 110 degrees.

How would you approach this situation? What mics, patterns, arrays, distances, heights, etc.?
Old 16th May 2018
200 views and no one wants to take a shot?
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
What mics, patterns, arrays, distances, heights, etc.? 200 views and no one wants to take a shot?
Bit too much of a Spanish Inquisition approach perhaps ?

Generalities: Acoustics won't be great, and even less so by the time it's full to capacity with humans, so nothing lost by a single cardioid ORTF or NOS wide-cardioid pair behind the conductor for overall pickup. Not too high so you don't lose the strings
A spaced pair of voice spots to afford more definition if the main pair don't suffice.....maybe your pair of U89's 2 metre spaced in half omni or cardioid pattern.

Maybe a single cello spot, get the organ to turn down...then during rehearsal, get the organ to (again) turn down. Balance very much depends on the conductor taking frequent walks back into the church during rehearsal and calling for adjustments between instruments and voices (and within voices)...hope they are up for this task, for the sake of the recording ?
Old 17th May 2018
Thanks for the replay, Studer58. It is very much appreciated.

Regarding the Spanish Inquisition, that certainly was not my intent. But now that you mention it, I can see how my post could be interpreted that way. I was thinking more along the line of a Sherlock Homes detective mystery.
How would you suggest I reword my post?

Many times I see requests asking about how to record a quartet, or early music group, etc. The answers can usually be summarized by “it depends…”. So I thought I would give a lot of specifics. Experience is, I believe, the sum of a lot of specific situations.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
Well, the "name-rank-serial number" approach didn't put me off, but it might have done so for others ?

Maybe just my perception that you were demanding 'The Golden Formula'...when as you say none really exists, they are always context-dependent and thus variable
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search