The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
It is getting harder to find helpers for remote recordings. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I really don't understand why mastering is something that would only apply to local clients. Why not try advertising your mastering services in those areas (even internationally) you just cited where there is "too much work"? The internet can be a wonderful thing.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Amazing how technology changes things.
It's not just the technology, its how we use it that really matters.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
I really don't understand why mastering is something that would only apply to local clients. Why not try advertising your mastering services in those areas (even internationally) you just cited where there is "too much work"? The internet can be a wonderful thing.
I do advertise.

As I stated earlier there are about 500 studios who offer "mastering" within a 100 mile radius of my studio and on the WWW there are literally thousands of places that offer mastering and some offer it for free or for $5 a song. I cannot compete with that. There are probably, today, 25 times more people offering mastering than people who need their services. (It is becoming a DIY thing to do). It is a no win situation. Every week I get calls to do mastering for $5.00 a song "cause that is what everyone is charging" When I try and explain that you get what you pay for it falls on deaf ears. Then they say ..."OK so I will just call someone else who will do it for what I want to pay". GREAT! If you don't want to pay someone there are sites that will have their AI engine do it for free. There use to be a guy in town who was using his college dorm room to do mastering and charging $65.00 an hour. Not sure how many taker he had but...

If you have not looked into mastering lately it is a very very very over crowded profession. Even more so than remote recording. Everyone with some cracked software and plugins is doing MASTERING even if they have no clue as to what they are doing. Since there is no way to "JUDGE" how good someone is (except for a bunch of CDs on their website) people go where it is the cheapest ("cause all mastering is the same")

FWIW
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
I do advertise.

As I stated earlier there are about 500 studios who offer "mastering" within a 100 mile radius of my studio and on the WWW there are literally thousands of places that offer mastering and some offer it for free or for $5 a song. I cannot compete with that. There are probably, today, 25 times more people offering mastering than people who need their services. (It is becoming a DIY thing to do). It is a no win situation. Every week I get calls to do mastering for $5.00 a song "cause that is what everyone is charging" When I try and explain that you get what you pay for it falls on deaf ears. Then they say ..."OK so I will just call someone else who will do it for what I want to pay". GREAT! If you don't want to pay someone there are sites that will have their AI engine do it for free. There use to be a guy in town who was using his college dorm room to do mastering and charging $65.00 an hour. Not sure how many taker he had but...

If you have not looked into mastering lately it is a very very very over crowded profession. Even more so than remote recording. Everyone with some cracked software and plugins is doing MASTERING even if they have no clue as to what they are doing. Since there is no way to "JUDGE" how good someone is (except for a bunch of CDs on their website) people go where it is the cheapest ("cause all mastering is the same")

FWIW
You can ABSOLUTELY compete with the free/$5 per song guys. If price was all that mattered they'd have all the business. And they don't. You need to describe your service, what you charge, and (most importantly), what your value proposition is - years of experience, proven product quality, personal service, etc.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since there is no way to "JUDGE" how good someone is (except for a bunch of CDs on their website) people go where it is the cheapest ("cause all mastering is the same")
Maybe it is about time you do something about this, in your case. I have no idea, based on your website, why I should pay you a serious sum to have my precious tracks mastered by you. To me it seems you prefer to complain and whine instead of doing something about your situation. It's been like that for many years now, as we have all been witnessing on this website, and you still wonder why your business is in decline? Get out of your comfort zone and start doing something you haven't tried before! It is becoming annoying (at least for me) to see you work as hard as you can to object against any idea that might change your situation for the better. Be creative and if you can't, retire. Please.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Maybe it is about time you do something about this, in your case. I have no idea, based on your website, why I should pay you a serious sum to have my precious tracks mastered by you. To me it seems you prefer to complain and whine instead of doing something about your situation. It's been like that for many years now, as we have all been witnessing on this website, and you still wonder why your business is in decline? Get out of your comfort zone and start doing something you haven't tried before! It is becoming annoying (at least for me) to see you work as hard as you can to object against any idea that might change your situation for the better. Be creative and if you can't, retire. Please.
I have no idea of who you are or what you do. If you cannot be upfront about your studio or your occupation or where exactly you are from why should I pay any attention to you? You maybe some 16 year old kid in his bedroom. FWIW

Sorry to annoy you. You probably cannot understand what some people like myself and who are not in Europe, are going through at the present time. It is NOT the same here in the US of A as it is in Europe. Europeans seem to think that the world is the all the same but it is not. I seriously doubt you have 500 recording studios, all offering mastering, within 100 miles of your home.

Put me on your ignore list.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
i didn't get one of the first jobs i wanted. A few years later, i interviewed with the same guy again. One thing he said continues in mind. He said he had to reinvent himself multiple times over his career. He has been quite successful.

i think there is a relevant question only you can answer for yourself and that is whether you have the fire in your belly to make it work.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have no idea of who you are or what you do. If you cannot be upfront about your studio or your occupation or where exactly you are from why should I pay any attention to you? You maybe some 16 year old kid in his bedroom. FWIW

Sorry to annoy you. You probably cannot understand what some people like myself and who are not in Europe, are going through at the present time. It is NOT the same here in the US of A as it is in Europe. Europeans seem to think that the world is the all the same but it is not. I seriously doubt you have 500 recording studios, all offering mastering, within 100 miles of your home.

Put me on your ignore list.
Here's one for you Tom. Yes, it's out of your comfort zone, but you're a big boy now...and once you're in this new zone, you'll be very comfortable indeed...that's a promise. You won't miss the old zone.....all the assistants you'll require are already at your disposal, employed by the same organization as yourself..... here's your next career, on a plate, mate:

ABC Careers - Job Details - Sound Engineer Classic FM
I reckon it's a pretty good match for your skillset....

What's the best mic for interviewing a camel on a beach with ?

Last edited by studer58; 1 day ago at 08:02 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
i didn't get one of the first jobs i wanted. A few years later, i interviewed with the same guy again. One thing he said continues in mind. He said he had to reinvent himself multiple times over his career. He has been quite successful.

i think there is a relevant question only you can answer for yourself and that is whether you have the fire in your belly to make it work.
Thanks! I have reinvented my self numerous times. I guess my reincarnation progression is reaching its end. To quote the Bible "the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak". I still have the mindset to reinvent myself one more time but physically it may not be possible. Thanks for the nice reply!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Here's one for you Tom. Yes, it's out of your comfort zone, but you're a big boy now...and once you're in this new zone, you'll be very comfortable indeed...that's a promise. You won't miss the old zone.....all the assistants you'll require are already at your disposal, employed by the same organization as yourself..... here's your next career, on a plate, mate:

ABC Careers - Job Details - Sound Engineer Classic FM
I reckon it's a pretty good match for your skillset....

What's the best mic for interviewing a camel on a beach with ?
If I was 20 years younger I would be on my way to "the land down under" in a heartbeat. That job posting looks like it was written for me. Thanks for the kind thoughts!!!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
If I was 20 years younger I would be on my way to "the land down under" in a heartbeat. That job posting looks like it was written for me. Thanks for the kind thoughts!!!
Well, you know I didn't see any (illegal anyway) age limit in the Position Description...and if Oberlin is a one horse town, then Sydney is a 5.37 million (2017 figure) kangaroo town...you wouldn't get lonesome ! Probably far enough away from next years' ICBM strikes too.....and let's not forget the $73k- 78k salary ?

Here's Randy Newman on Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqBrw3rQvKo

Last edited by studer58; 1 day ago at 01:55 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Well, you know I didn't see any (illegal anyway) age limit in the Position Description...and if Oberlin is a one horse town, then Sydney is a 5.37 million (2017 figure) kangaroo town...you wouldn't get lonesome ! Probably far enough away from next years' ICBM strikes too.....and let's not forget the $73k- 78k salary ?

Here's Randy Newman on Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqBrw3rQvKo
I don't want to go into this here but for various reasons I could not pull up stakes in the US and move to Australia at the present time, even if I could qualify for the position, but thanks again for the information. Be safe!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
You can ABSOLUTELY compete with the free/$5 per song guys. If price was all that mattered they'd have all the business. And they don't. You need to describe your service, what you charge, and (most importantly), what your value proposition is - years of experience, proven product quality, personal service, etc.

I'm afraid that assumes a somewhat educated client base.

Most people who are calling around for mastering are self-producing musicians/ small time "managers/promoters"

The average Idea of a "good" master at that level is often "louder and with more bass."
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
I'm afraid that assumes a somewhat educated client base.

Most people who are calling around for mastering are self-producing musicians/ small time "managers/promoters"

The average Idea of a "good" master at that level is often "louder and with more bass."
Where did you get that statical information from...most of those people are not calling around, they're doing it themselves because they know it's 'easy' to do and they don't want to spend money. There's also this very important bit: "If price was all that mattered they'd have all the business."
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Thanks again for all the helpful information. Have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend if you live in the US and if not have a GREAT weekend as well where ever you live. Be safe!
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Where did you get that statistical information from...most of those people are not calling around, they're doing it themselves because they know it's 'easy' to do and they don't want to spend money. There's also this very important bit: "If price was all that mattered they'd have all the business."
A good client called me about doing some mastering for his Dad who is a very fine musician. Two weeks went by and I had not heard from his Dad so today I contacted my client. He told me that his Dad found someone cheaper. My client has always been pleased with my work and we have done numerous projects together. I guess his Dad has other priorities and wants to spend less. My mastering rates are more than reasonable but everyone seems to be looking for bottom feeder rates. It is becoming a dog eat dog world in Mastering. Pretty soon mastering engineers will have to pay clients for doing their mastering <GRIN>

FWIW
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

i've been working as a sound engineer for 35 years now.
i live in a rather small city (basel) in a very rich country (switzerland) which has been seeing a long phase of political and economical stability... - so my situation is probably hard to compare; nevertheless, i'd like share how i'm positioning myself:

i'm offering my services not based on rates but on my reputation: regardless of budget, my clients shall get the best for their money - smaller budget equals less gear, time and options, but service shall always be on the highest level.

i have some highly specialized gear that i enjoy using for myself. i'm not using it to make money by renting it out regularly, yet some folks feel they 'need' this gear once in a while and are willing to spend some money on it...

i droped all work related to video and corporate work 'cause i simply don't enjoy it. i do far less touring and if so, try not to move around any gear but rent locally (pa/amps/desk/monitoring in any case). i turn down any requests if i get the impression people will not be up to higher standards in their field. i'm not doing any work that i'm not into for political, ethical, ecological or economical reasons - i rather go walking or read a book!

i charge the same prices for everybody unless i decide to support a project and do it for free or just charge for the gear (or charge for my work and offer my gear for free).

i use the same professional gear, whether it's for a totally unknown local newcomer or an established international touring artist. i don't mind mixing for bands of any genre, as long as i can keep a balance between music i don't enjoy that much and things that i'm really into.

i assist guest engineers, mix monitors, foh or for broadcast, work as system tech, do some installation work, some studio building and monitor alignment, i mix and master - i'm all audio: no lights, no video, nothing related to computers/network.

of those musicians, bands, theaters, conductors, dance companies, promoters, festivals, government, university, conservatory, international organisations, ngo's etc. who keep coming back to me, some of them clearly mention that they like my straight approach (and hopefully my work too).

i work less than i used to, but i get much more interesting work to do these days - and some peace of mind...

cheers,

dd
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search