The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Card mic comparison Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Card mic comparison

I may get to record an opera later this month and picked up a pair of inexpensive cardiod sdc mics to use in boundary layer fashion for singers. Here is comparison of mics in my collection - none are super high end.

Recorded on TASCAM HS-P82. Files have been loudness matched and content below 40hz removed.

There are three different mics. The fourth is a doctored version of the cheapest., and I mean cheap.

48/16 wav files available at Index of /gearslutz/20180506

Your order of preference and comments would be appreciated.

Bazile
Attached Files

Debussy A.mp3 (3.63 MB, 514 views)

Debussy B.mp3 (3.61 MB, 497 views)

Debussy C.mp3 (3.60 MB, 501 views)

Debussy D.mp3 (3.55 MB, 492 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hello River City Man,

I like all of these mics. Maybe A has the edge? Hard to tell.

The opera, given in assembly around the pool at Stanton Hall, will sound great for you.

Best wishes to YOU.

Phlulsh
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello River City Man,

I like all of these mics. Maybe A has the edge? Hard to tell.

The opera, given in assembly around the pool at Stanton Hall, will sound great for you.

Phlulsh
Hi, Plush-

The opera is Faust and will be performed in the old high school (1927) as part of our Natchez Music Festival. I have scouting to do and will be back with plan looking for suggestions.

Mic A is a Behringer C4 ($60/pr) with RX6 noise reduction, eq and slight widening with mid-side.

They were my second pair of mics, purchased 9 years ago when I got a new piano. Ran them into a Tascam U-144 connected to laptop with Audacity. Got me started. By then, my son had my first pair, Beyer dynamics sold under the Advent name, that I used poorly with a Revox A77 in the mid-seventies. I hate to admit it, but it took me 35 years to figure out what that little bar in the mic case was for.

Bazile
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
My guess is that we're hearing these in close (ie under the hood, and on axis) miked fashion...and not in the way they'll be used (ie on the floor) for the event ?
In boundary layer mode they'll be picking up a lot of the singers off axis (the floor generates a semi-hemispherical pickup, depending on the capsule used) and at a metre or two distant, and that's where a lot of these cheap mics can come unstuck.

So if you can post the same mics used under somewhat similar conditions to 'the event' it might be helpful for us to give more meaningful ratings ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Yes, close up. I wasn't really testing for the blm application, though I will give that a shot. This recording isn't particularly dynamic, which would reveal other differences in terms of transients. I think what is most revealing is the off-axis response of the mics which corresponds well with the price points. The Behringers sounded almost monophonic, and the noise level high, which is what prompted me to try adjustment just for kicks.

My main focus is the other two pairs. I much prefer omnis or my CM3s to any cards, but know they have their place. Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Card mic comparison-img_2628.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
^^^ Post of the week!

Thanks for testing and sharing. That's the best way to get to know your gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search