The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips for recording string quartet Condenser Microphones
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Alright, thanks so much. That does really push me toward the Shure mics. One more question that's been rattling around in my brain... What setup would you recommend for those mics - ORTF for cardiod and just spaced pair for omni? Or something else?
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

as jnorman put it in #2 : "I typically like an ORTF pair of cardioids for this application since they image the location information of the players the most effectively. Other folks here prefer an AB pair of omnis for their spacious feel and better bass response"

+1 for ortf

(or even x/y if strong mono compatiblity is required for whatever reason; tends to sound a little boring without some help in post though...)
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by njspix View Post
What setup would you recommend for those mics - ORTF
Did you listen to the video of the concert I recorded that shows an ORTF mic? Sounds quite perfectly 3-D to me...90% of what you're hearing is the ORTF pair.

ORTF is a good default but it's not always perfect. I'd say start with that and then you can play with the spacing and angle if something sounds off. (I just used the ORTF mic, which obviously can't be adjusted, there because there was ridiculously little setup time and no time to play with spacing. I prefer separate mics whenever practical, though.)

If you start with ORTF and it sounds fine and you can't think of how to improve it with the resources available, then stick with that and feel good about it.

P.S. The video
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
posted is gorgeous, but that's in a scrumptious stone church with thrice the ceiling you have. I agree omnis are best when you can get away with it, but I don't think you're in a place that it's likely you can get away with it.
Old 21st May 2018
Here for the gear

I second the advice on the Line Audio CM1/OM1 set, but you should also consider getting a matched pair of Oktava M-012s with both cardiod and omni capsules. They're very good to begin with, and even better if you get the Joly-modded versions. I've used them to record chamber music in a spaced omni pair for many years, and you can get great results in a variety of acoustical environments by carefully experimenting with placement. I'm currently using a Samar VL373A (ribbon - blumlein) as a near center, with a pair of more distant spaced 012 omnis to provide room sound, and have found that this is terrifically forgiving and malleable approach.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

Just curious; what preamp are you using for your VL373A?

D.
Old 22nd May 2018
Here for the gear

I'm currently using it with a Sound Devices MixPre-10T, which has great preamps and more than enough clean gain.

Since the VL373A is an "active" ribbon, it works well with pretty much any decent preamp. In the past, I've used it with a FocusRite Sapphire, and I've gotten usable results even with a Zoom H5.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

I had a pair I bought for $100 back in the day and eventually sold them...but to be honest I still sometimes miss my

Quote:
Originally Posted by partimento View Post
Oktava MK-012s
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search