The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH80 DSP monitor speaker Studio Monitors
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
Neumann KH80 DSP monitor speaker

My apologies if this speaker has already been raised here in discussion, but it strikes me as one which could have the neutrality (and low cost/portability) to be a very useful location recording monitor ?

What caught my eye in some of the external reviews below was how favourably it's been compared with its larger Neumann stablemates. Is anyone here using it currently and able to comment on how it compares to say the 120 ?

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein...KH80DSP_EN.pdf
http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein..._KH_80_ENG.pdf
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Nut

It would be nice to get some real world reviews, although the recent review from SOS has convinced me to at least seek out a demo.

My application will be as an alternate studio monitor to my aging Dynaudios and as a portable, on-location monitoring solution. I know that when the KH120 was introduced they had an optional carry bag for location use, since discontinued. I have searched the site and can't find similar for the smaller pair.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
It would be nice to get some real world reviews, although the recent review from SOS has convinced me to at least seek out a demo.
If you put your headphones on, here's a 'binaural comparison': YouTube

There are a few user reviews on a relevant thread in another GS forum :

Neumann KH 80 DSP raises the standard of monitor sound and post#23 from the following:

Monitors - big sound for a tight space.

Last edited by studer58; 25th April 2018 at 02:30 PM..
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

I use the Neumann 80 here and I really like it. It has the same family sound as the larger Neumann 120 and even the larger monitors. The difference with the 80 is that it has less bass and presents not as big a stereo picture.

A pair of 80 speakers is very portable and light weight. A good benefit because you won't think twice about bringing them out for the recording job.

I recommend it for chamber music, choirs, piano and smaller scale recordings. It is not big enough for organ recordings or orchestral work.

I am waiting for Neumann to release the auto calibration software for the 80 speaker. This will allow the monitor to auto calibrate for good performance in whatever room it is used in.

Neumann says the software is forthcoming but has not given a release date yet.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
Thank you Plush....that's about as accurate, detailed and qualified an endorsement as you could hope to find on the product for its intended uses. It'll be interesting as to how useful and flexible the calibration software allows the KH80 to be in a variety of settings....when it eventually arrives ! I believe it'll be via a LAN connection ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I use the Neumann 80 here and I really like it. It has the same family sound as the larger Neumann 120 and even the larger monitors. The difference with the 80 is that it has less bass and presents not as big a stereo picture.

A pair of 80 speakers is very portable and light weight. A good benefit because you won't think twice about bringing them out for the recording job.

I recommend it for chamber music, choirs, piano and smaller scale recordings. It is not big enough for organ recordings or orchestral work.

I am waiting for Neumann to release the auto calibration software for the 80 speaker. This will allow the monitor to auto calibrate for good performance in whatever room it is used in.

Neumann says the software is forthcoming but has not given a release date yet.
The wait for the DSP control software seems to be over : Control app launched for Neumann KH80 DSP monitors |

It's a pity it's not Bluetooth however, the above video makes mention of a router-to-speaker cabled (LAN ?) connection
Neumann.Control on the App Store

The updated product page shows the app in action: you can have either guided or manual modes: NEUMANN

There's also a helpful bunch of fitting hardware...brackets, etc to assist with mounting them on a range of current stands, as well as walls, desktop, ceilings, on top of subs etc:
Monitor Accessories

Notwithstanding the delayed appearance of the control app, it looks like Neumann are throwing resources to make this speaker "stick" in the marketplace for many years to come ?

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 12:38 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Excellent, excellent. Thank you for this news.
Speaker also available in the color white.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was at a Neumann at 90 presentation recently where the 80 was set up with both the 120 and 310 speakers. The 80 was using the software. The mid hi performance from all loudspeakers was very similar. The major difference was the LF performance. However the 80 with Sub was very impressive.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

not yet sure the internal dsp will replace my external dsp which i'm taking to any gig but a helpful tool nevertheless - and yes, the neumann/kh subs are very good (and still 'reasonably' priced compared to some other offerings from currently much hyped brands)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I have been on the search for desktop monitors for a few weeks now. This is for my general-purpose desk, where I also plan to do some video editing. For the last 8 years, I have been using a pair of Blumenstein Orcas, which were made for me here in Seattle buy my friend, Clark Blumenstein, and powered by a Bottlehead SEX SET amp that I built myself. That setup, along with the Blumenstein Dungeoness subwoofer performed very well on my desktop for enjoyment listening, but I really needed something more accurate.

So, some good monitors were in order. A good friend of mine who is a pianist with great ears swears by the Adam A5x, and I quite like them as well. I have been using the KH120 for a while now on my mixing desk, and have found them to be a useful reference. They are not as revealing as my friend's Adams, but I also feel that the Adams are a bit more "hi-fi". When a track was not well-engineered, it really does sound like crap on the KH120, which is of course exactly what we want.

I also tried the little Genelec 8010a, which are really incredible for their size. My thinking was that if I used the 8010a on my desk daily, then I would habituate to them, thus making them a useful reference when traveling, especially for the recording work we have been doing overseas. I lived with them for a while and thought that, along with the Adam Sub8, they might work out. I do especially like the form factor. My desk feels less crowded with the little 8010a.

But then, I decided to bring the KH120 down from my other room and...wow...they are incredible. I had not thought to try them on my small desk because I thought they'd be too big. And well, they are. But the sound quality of these things is undeniable. I can hear into mixes so well with the KH120. They give you a lot of useful information.

With the introduction of the IOS calibration app for the KH80 DSP at AES, I decided to take the plunge and give them a shot. From all I've read, they have the same great family sound as the KH120, but their smaller size will give me fewer problems with proximity boost in the low mids, and of course, the smaller form factor will be better for the desk.

I'll report back when I've had them running for a while, but all the reports I've read indicate that I can expect something similar to my KH120, but in a smaller package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post

What caught my eye in some of the external reviews below was how favourably it's been compared with its larger Neumann stablemates. Is anyone here using it currently and able to comment on how it compares to say the 120 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann KH80 DSP monitor speaker-img_0022.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search