The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices MixPre-10T Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

@bwanajim Interesting that Sound Devices claims they haven't heard of this before. I had an email exchange with Danny at SD support over this exact issue last August (of 2017). At the time he wrote back to me:

"Wow, we just tested, and apparently via USB, ISO's are only available post-fade. I will definitely pass this question along to product development and firmware people!"

So I'd add my +1 to get as many voices requesting this feature as possible as apparently the first time didn't stick.

-Mike
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Yes ISO’s should be pre-fade, just like they
are in the 788.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear
To be clear, ISOs recorded on the recorder’s SD drive are pre-fade. What we’re talking about here are the USB sends. When using the MixPre10t as an interface, post fade is sent to your computer via USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Yes ISO’s should be pre-fade, just like they
are in the 788.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Guru
Hot off the presses!
Sound Devices - Sound Devices showcases the ultra-versatile MixPre series at IBC 2018

Oh boy! Wingman and hardware controllers for the M Series. Surround for film guys. This gets better and better. Asked a question about software and support got back to me right away. Impressive.....
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Well, I hope it’s soon. I’ve got a Sennheiser AMBEO burning a hole in my mic locker!
According to the press release, they were demoing firmware v. 3 at IBC so it's got to be coming out soon.
Old 8th February 2019
Here for the gear

Hi,

I like the SD MixPre-10T but I don't read anything about the PC USB audio interface side. I hawe some request about that:

- Anybody use this device not only for live recordings but also like audio interface with one DAW like Reaper or Ableton Live and so on, with asio drivers and plugins for real time and vst instruments?
- What is the latency value?
- It's possible to work at one project at 192kHz 24bit?
- Is it possible to power this device directly via USB or using an external power supply?

In short, use it as a normal USB audio interface.....

Thanks for reply...

R
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codesound View Post
Hi,

I like the SD MixPre-10T but I don't read anything about the PC USB audio interface side.
This video should answer some of your questions (but not all): YouTube
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi,

I like the SD MixPre-10T but I don't read anything about the PC USB audio interface side. I hawe some request about that:

- Anybody use this device not only for live recordings but also like audio interface with one DAW like Reaper or Ableton Live and so on, with asio drivers and plugins for real time and vst instruments?
- What is the latency value?
- It's possible to work at one project at 192kHz 24bit?
- Is it possible to power this device directly via USB or using an external power supply?

In short, use it as a normal USB audio interface.....

Thanks for reply...

R
Latency is hard to quantify because it depends on so many variables, computer, plugins, processing, # of tracks etc. It is not as low as thunderbolt interface since it uses USB 2.0 protocol over USB C, but I find it totally acceptable. And there is a zero-latency monitoring mode too.
10T is maximum 96k 24-bit, 12-in 4-out USB interface.
When using as USB audio interface you need external supply.
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear

Many thanks for your reply......

The only dubious that remains to me is it makes sense to record at 192kHz and then work with reaper at 96kHz ...thanks again....
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many thanks for your reply......

The only dubious that remains to me is it makes sense to record at 192kHz and then work with reaper at 96kHz ...thanks again....
I would advise you to just work in 96 KHz. That is the sweet spot for most converters nowadays. It will also save you GB' s and is has at least 40 KHz bandwidth. The rest is marketing...
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe a silly question: how does one get the extra 4 channels (besides the 8 mic preamps) into the 10T?
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Maybe a silly question: how does one get the extra 4 channels (besides the 8 mic preamps) into the 10T?
Found it in the manual. Only 12 channels in USB mode....

I see that one can add channel 9 and 10 input by using the non-balanced Aux in. If one would feed an external mic preamp like a DAV into Aux with line level engaged, would the sound be as high quality as in the channels 1 to 8?

Can you do the same with the 10M?
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Found it in the manual. Only 12 channels in USB mode....

I see that one can add channel 9 and 10 input by using the non-balanced Aux in. If one would feed an external mic preamp like a DAV into Aux with line level engaged, would the sound be as high quality as in the channels 1 to 8?

Can you do the same with the 10M?
I believe you can. I have a 6M and it offers extra inputs beyond the 4 mains....
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I believe you can. I have a 6M and it offers extra inputs beyond the 4 mains....
Not the case actually (if you meant use 10 inputs, but perhaps you meant use of different inputs?): anyway, as per the 10M manual p. 9 'The MixPre-10M lets you record up to eight tracks at once from any of the 8 XLR inputs Aux 3.5mm, or USB inputs'.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Guru
Was commenting on extra inputs. I don't have a 10........The 6M allows inputs thru aux and usb also.......I wonder if they will allow digital ins at some point or that's a non starter?
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Maniac

If you can open the 10T and take pics. Jim Williams asked for that. The preamps are quiet but other than that, completely poor for music, especially acoustical. So, it’s a non-starter. I hope that their is a mod possible or SD puts a lot better pres and converters and ports and make that device for music and throw on a $6K price tag on it. For dialogue and sound effects....maybe percussion, it’s ok. Orchestras and choirs voice and wind ensemble - it’s an epic fail. As much as I love the UI and size and materials to make my life easier, I couldn’t stand listening to it. Returned it. And SD was given a complete professionally presented feedback. But, their market is video.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
If you can open the 10T and take pics. Jim Williams asked for that. The preamps are quiet but other than that, completely poor for music, especially acoustical. So, it’s a non-starter. I hope that their is a mod possible or SD puts a lot better pres and converters and ports and make that device for music and throw on a $6K price tag on it. For dialogue and sound effects....maybe percussion, it’s ok. Orchestras and choirs voice and wind ensemble - it’s an epic fail. As much as I love the UI and size and materials to make my life easier, I couldn’t stand listening to it. Returned it. And SD was given a complete professionally presented feedback. But, their market is video.
Can't say I agree, but, conscious that my ears have no authority, more to the point this harsh judgement is very much in contrast to Tony Faulkner's comments above about the sound (rather than operational frustrations) e.g. 'The MixPre-10T sounds superb' in post 41: I doubt he meant just for sound effects!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
Wow, there is a guy who does a comparison on classical music on another SD thread where he posts samples that sound really good compared with his main system (he uses the MixPre as a backup). Honestly you're the only person I've ever heard that says this.....

I won't argue with you because you hear what you hear. In my limited worldview, I use a MixPre6M as a stand alone because I don't like recording thru a computer. I find the pres and conversion to be clean and punchy. Detail and transients seem to be crisp and not smeary. I am a harmonica player and honestly that can be a problem with recording. No jitter or weirdness there.....I am not a professional engineer but work with them frequently as a producer.

Working in video, I don't get your distinction with music. Nagras and other recorders built for film work: Aaton, Sonosax, etc. are all built for clarity and accuracy. We use Grace preamps in our post suites here for the same reason. I would be curious as to what you think is good for classical recording? "Epic fail" is pretty strong, perhaps you got a bad unit?

I can see where you'd feel a lack of character or color, but for jazz or classical, I would think that is exactly what you'd be looking for. The location recorders that I work with, love them, and they do more than just dialogue and efx. Genuinely curious as to what you've found that works better for you....
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I have Nagra VI. 3 in fact. I also am a fan of Apogee. Sometimes more than the VI - especially in wind band. The Grace, Millenia is also dull to my ears. There are others in other threads that hear the SD the same. Even Doug Oade who I respect has the same conclusion. But....just because a person hears A, doesn’t mean another hears the same. It’s opinion. So, there is no right or fact because every bodies hearing is different based on their ears health and hearing (I get checked yearly and know what frequencies my ears don’t hear well or which are elevated). Then, there is personal taste. To me SD is like dew on a window that I want to wipe away so I can hear it. Millenia is lifeless, dulling effect. Grace even more so. It’s like having Saran Wrap between my ears and the source. The Nagras pillow the sound and condense it a bit. Apogee sounds closer to reality. But sometimes reality doesn’t sound that great. John Hardy with the Jensen is the most accurate of all preamps I have heard and used.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Guru
FWIW here's the thread I was referring to:
New Sound Devices recorders!

The comparison I thought was good because the samples sounded great in different ways. Personally I thought the SD sample held up well, and agree with the fellow that did them. Honestly if you're comparing a Hardy preamp (or a dedicated Mytek converter) with the SD there is a huge cost difference. You're basically comparing one preamp that costs more than the field recorder itself, that contains 4+ preamps, headphone monitoring, mixer/recorder and conversion.....
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I don’t mean to be brash. I am just frustrated that Sound Devices did not make a music version of the device. Their M is like Apples touchbar. It’s a coverup for a touchscreen. Add the AES/EBU and “Kashmir” isn’t luxury like cashmere...nice try. When music recordist have to convince themselves it’s good enough, it’s not. Sound Devices....please, listen. Improve the preamps (quietness is one part, not the whole) and improve the converters. And charge for it. Audio for music people will pay for it. You rock materials, UI....but cheap on the “SOUND, TIMBRE”. It is below average for music. At least put Apogee grade, Metric Halo grade, Mytek grade and separate that device from your dialog and sound effect device. Literally, do that and AES/EBU (and please, a hold lock switch). Change nothing else and you will be fine.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Guru
BTW I personally am not making any apologies for the Sound Devices Mix Pre6M. I think it sounds great and is amazing value for the money. The 6M version allows 14 channels of overdubbing, onboard efx and Wingman and control surface interfacing to what I'd outlined above as capabilities. I'd lusted for the older units but they were not set up for music production. They also were totally out of my league pricewise.

As near as I can tell, the preamps and converters are on par with Audient, Apogee, UA and RME mid level interfaces. I'd like to see more Wingman and tablet capability (to be able to use a larger screen than the built in one). I would love to see easier track management capabilities also, specifically virtual track playback. My wishlist is more geared towards workflow not sound quality. If I need more character in a preamp, it plays well with others...

SD has done an amazing software recent update and seems to be very forward thinking. I'm sure more is in the works. Digital inputs would be great, but I think at a certain point you'd be talking about a much more expensive, and larger unit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
I would like to point out that the 6M has a problem with reverb playback when recording. Just turn off the reverb until they fix it on the next update.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search