The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices MixPre-10T Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks, Tom.

Quick straight answer: I would be OK with the poly-wav files if the 10T's monitoring didn't drop and bong, and if playback were seamless. What had caused me to fall from my chair was the 10T's management of the polys, and the aforementioned unexpected + unwanted distractions.

In the end, however you record ten tracks of audio for an hour or more, whether individual wavs or poly-wavs, you end up with multiple files which have to be managed in your DAW. Film and tv recordists are used to poly-wavs which are helpful for them and their clients if they are recording short takes at conventional sampling rates because you end up with one file and everything you need already in place to drag+drop.

As a music recordist I am more accustomed to individual wavs, but if I had seamless poly-wavs which the 10T's system handled seamlessly it would be no big deal to handle either on location or in post-production. With our editing software, it is easy to break a poly-wav into single tracks with two or three mouse-clicks.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Nut

Some good news re. our Sound Devices MixPre-10T. I have had some constructive conversations about record bongs and seamless playback with Paul Isaacs of SD and he understands the frustrations. Whilst he hasn't promised anything, he has "noted the feature requests". We'll soldier on here with the 10T in hopeful anticipation, because it is otherwise a brilliant piece of kit and does sound very fine indeed.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Some good news re. our Sound Devices MixPre-10T. I have had some constructive conversations about record bongs and seamless playback with Paul Isaacs of SD and he understands the frustrations. Whilst he hasn't promised anything, he has "noted the feature requests". We'll soldier on here with the 10T in hopeful anticipation, because it is otherwise a brilliant piece of kit and does sound very fine indeed.
Great news! Thanks for spearheading the campaign. You are helping them make a better machine for all of us.
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Head

Hi All:

I, too, am interested in the SD 10M or 10T for remote orchestral recording. I am now using a Metric Halo ULN-8 and a Mac Pro laptop. The preamps and converters in the ULN-8 are top-notch, in line with the Millenia pres, and I've been more than happy with them. I would like to know (using the Millenia quality, which is a known reference point for clean, quiet and uncolored sound as a measure), how the Sound Devices preamps stack up. I'm guessing that the MixPre preamps are a step down from the more-expensive 788T, etc., but I'd like to quantify the quality difference if possible. I'm trying to not carry all my rack gear on some of my remotes, but I'm not willing to accept a lesser quality.

Thanks for any experienced opinions!

Robert Cartwright
perfectwavedigital.com
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

Firmware 2.20 just released, seems to address most if not all of Tony's concerns.

https://www.sounddevices.com/support...ads#mixpre-10t
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Maniac

And today's firmware update (v2.20) may have sorted the issue with long recordings as described by Tony Faulkner. Let's hope so!

Cheers,

Roland

EDIT: posted at the same time as Michael's post above!
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Nut

These updates seem to relate to the problems described:

Seamless Playback
With this firmware upgrade, files split automatically due to file size or manually with REC are now played back seamlessly.

Record Bells (MixPre-3, -6, 10T only)
Record bells, heard in headphones when recording is started and stopped, may be turned off.
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

When Tony F. speaks, action action happens.
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

That’s super cool!

Also this: “Added Inputs MS Decode submenu to select MS decoding to both ISOs and Mix or Mix Only.”

Makes me really happy!
Thanks Sound Devices and Tony F!

-Mike
Old 25th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Thank you, Christine. I had forgotten the Tascam DR-680 MkII. My only interest in making up this list was working out how many portable multitracks restricted recording to poly-wavs. Only one: the Sound Devices MixPre-10T. SD can do it for five other models in their range, so it looks strange.
You also left out the Zoom F4 as a fairly notable recorder in this price class category.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Nut

Just heard yesterday from Sound Devices that they have released a firmware update for the MixPre-10T - and other MixPre models.
Looks like it addresses the issues about record bells every 4GB, and enables playback over split files. Great news.
The MixPre-10T sounds superb and is an attention-seeker when any pro or audiophile sees it in operation
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Head

Hi All:

I asked about the preamp quality in the MixPre 10M and T and didn't get any opinions, so I emailed Sound Devices and am forwarding our discussion, below. Very interesting information that may be helpful to others.

Best,

Robert Cartwright
-----------------------

Hi SD:

I do high-quality remote orchestral recordings using a Metric halo ULN-8 preamp/ADDA/interface to a MacBook Pro. The mic pres and converters in the ULN-8 are top-quality (the pres are on par with a Millenia pre). However, I’m getting older and a bit tired of carrying around all the gear for some remotes. I’m interested in either the SD MixPre 10-T or 10-M, IF the quality of the mic pres and converters is really top-notch. I see no specs on your website and wonder how I can compare them to a known quality, such as the Millennia pres. I know that the SD’s are a lot less money, so I’m guessing that they are really good, especially for production uses or musicians, but not impeccable for orchestral recording(?).

Is there any way to have you compare them to the Millenia or even to the 788T pres? Maybe not, but I thought I’d ask.

Robert Cartwright
--------

Hello Robert,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Sound Devices. Please find the attached specifications for the MixPre10-T. Alternately for your convenience, here is a link to the MixPre10-T's specifications page: https://www.sounddevices.com/product...xpre-10t/specs
Specs for the MixPre10-M are identical, sans Timecode/ Word Clock connectivity and functionality. You will note that the distortion specs are on par with that of the Millennia's.

I own a Millennia STT-1 Origin channel strip that I purchased in 2000. Having used both the MixPre-10T & M in my home studio with the STT-1, I can assure you that they are every bit as clean as the Millennia's, based on a subjective listening assessment. The Equivalent Input Noise spec of the MixPre10's being -130dBV. The MixPre10's preamps provide 76 dB of gain. Technically, the THD specs for the MixPre10's and STT-1 are identical: .005%, which is .002% cleaner than the HV3d. The MixPre10's bandwidth tops out at 80kHz, compared to 500kHz for the HV3d, and 200kHz for the STT-1. Allow me to remind you that the price point of the MixPre10-series is $1K less than that of a single channel STT-1 strip AND includes 12 track recording capability.

Might I suggest that you contact your nearest Sound Devices reseller and arrange for a demo? Here is a link to a list of resellers in the United States: https://www.sounddevices.com/resellers/us Please note that the listings at the top of the page with darker grey background should have Sound Device products in stock.

Kindest Regards,

Sean McMahon
Sound Devices, LLC
Old 30th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
And today's firmware update (v2.20) may have sorted the issue with long recordings as described by Tony Faulkner. Let's hope so!
The most exciting note in the firmware update is a reference to adding plugins to the machine! Wonder what features these might enable in the future?
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
The most exciting note in the firmware update is a reference to adding plugins to the machine! Wonder what features these might enable in the future?
The on-line details refer to 'Plugin support: A new System > Plugins submenu for installing future licensed plugins' for the MixPre 3/6/10T only, and not the 10M. Coupled with the fact that the more formal PDF firmware revision notice only refers to this being 'support for applying and using the anticipated Musician plugin', I think it is probably reading too much into this to suppose that additional plugins are in the pipeline.

That said, it is heartening to see the necessary firmware in place for the Musician plugin, although Sound Devices are running out of time if they are going to deliver this plugin as promised in May!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 30th May 2018
Oh true, would only be meaning that specific plugin, but I hope more are coming!

Imagine for instance if we got something like Brusfri as a plug in.

I bet (or just hope??) this is what the next generation of Sound Devices 6 series would have. (if this ever happens that is)
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Imagine for instance if we got something like Brusfri as a plug in.
David,

I can't say that excites me (but each to their own!): the Musician plugin, however, is extremely interesting for its overdubbing capability and, from the outset, I have been keen to get it installed (hurry up SD!).

Cheers,

Roland
Old 30th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
David,

I can't say that excites me (but each to their own!): the Musician plugin, however, is extremely interesting for its overdubbing capability and, from the outset, I have been keen to get it installed (hurry up SD!).

Cheers,

Roland
I'm sure even music recorders can find instances during challenging settings where a bit of noise reduction would be handy to try out. Anyway, I just gave that as one example of a plugin
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Guru
I'm not the best tech guy and Sound Devices tech has been fantastic. I've also found a lot of good info on here about how to use my Mixpre6M properly. It seems to me they've made a simple device to do some very complex things. I do not think they've cut corners on quality, and seem to be nimble and responsive to customer demand making the leap from film to more music based production. I was simply looking for a stand alone to replace my ancient Korg. The sound quality is impressive!
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartwright View Post
Hi All:

I, too, am interested in the SD 10M or 10T for remote orchestral recording. I am now using a Metric Halo ULN-8 and a Mac Pro laptop. The preamps and converters in the ULN-8 are top-notch, in line with the Millenia pres, and I've been more than happy with them. I would like to know (using the Millenia quality, which is a known reference point for clean, quiet and uncolored sound as a measure), how the Sound Devices preamps stack up. I'm guessing that the MixPre preamps are a step down from the more-expensive 788T, etc., but I'd like to quantify the quality difference if possible. I'm trying to not carry all my rack gear on some of my remotes, but I'm not willing to accept a lesser quality.

Thanks for any experienced opinions!

Robert Cartwright
perfectwavedigital.com

Hi Robert,

that's my concern to buy the MixPre as well, i do own ULN2 which i adore, but from what i've heard, it seems that MixPre's Preamp also up there with Metric's, what i'm not sure is, it's ability to drive passive Ribbon like AEA R88
regarding it's quality compare to 788T, i wouldn't worry too much, from what i've read it's at least the same quality if not better
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanpranoto View Post
Hi Robert,

that's my concern to buy the MixPre as well, i do own ULN2 which i adore, but from what i've heard, it seems that MixPre's Preamp also up there with Metric's, what i'm not sure is, it's ability to drive passive Ribbon like AEA R88
regarding it's quality compare to 788T, i wouldn't worry too much, from what i've read it's at least the same quality if not better
----------------------------------------------

Hi Jonathan:

I used my MixPre-10T on an 80-piece concert band recording on Sunday as a parallel backup with each mic split and going both to my Metric halo ULN-8 and the MixPre. I haven't had time to directly compare the two recordings, but listening through headphones during the concert, it sounded very similar. When I have the time, I'll compare them more closely.

The MixPre-10T gain specs for the mic preamps are:

• Mic input: +6 dB to +76 dB
• Total, Mic-to-recording (max): +96 dB

so there is plenty of gain for passive ribbon mics.

Robert Cartwright
perfectwavedigital.com
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartwright View Post
----------------------------------------------

Hi Jonathan:

I used my MixPre-10T on an 80-piece concert band recording on Sunday as a parallel backup with each mic split and going both to my Metric halo ULN-8 and the MixPre. I haven't had time to directly compare the two recordings, but listening through headphones during the concert, it sounded very similar. When I have the time, I'll compare them more closely.

The MixPre-10T gain specs for the mic preamps are:

• Mic input: +6 dB to +76 dB
• Total, Mic-to-recording (max): +96 dB

so there is plenty of gain for passive ribbon mics.

Robert Cartwright
perfectwavedigital.com
-----------------------------------------

An update:
For my most recent recording, I split the mics (Sennheiser MKH-8040 pair in ORTF) with a passive splitter directly from the mics into both the ULN-8 and my new MixPre-10T. I compared the two recordings and, to my great satisfaction, the two were so similar that I would have extreme difficulty determining which was which in a blind test. I was concerned that I would experience a drop in quality, but there was none. I'm very pleased!
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear
Just ordered a 10t. This recorder is going to solve so many problems for us. We are in the final stages of post production of our new album recorded in Cuba and the need for more promotional material for social media is increasingly apparent. And also, we find ourselves traveling more and more doing A&R and recording demos. The traveling part is really a problem, as I often say here on the forum. Everything, apart from cables and stands needs to fit into a standard computer type backpack.

The big wins for this little recorder (for our projects):
  • Small enough to fit in a regular consumer computer backpack.
  • No need to read the manual all the time (like SD788)
  • 10 channels plus stereo mix at 24/192
  • TC input directly from a GH5 via HDMI with auto start/stop
  • Clock sync in/out and TC in/out via coax
  • Binaural monitoring of the Sennheiser AMBEO mic.
  • Sony L series batteries or Hirose input with wide voltage range
  • Cab be used as an 10 channel interface for Auria Pro on an iPad
  • Overdubbing with the Musician Plug-in
  • Wingman remote control. So many scenarios possible.

You can hit the road with this thing in your day pack, along with a bundle of 8 Senn MKH8000 in a Domke Wrap, plus your headphones and iPad. Pair of GH5s with a few lenses in a small satchel, and that's an easy carry-on load, even in coach. Cables, stands and a few LED lights in a checked bag and you're ready to go.
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Just ordered a 10t. This recorder is going to solve so many problems for us. We are in the final stages of post production of our new album recorded in Cuba and the need for more promotional material for social media is increasingly apparent. And also, we find ourselves traveling more and more doing A&R and recording demos. The traveling part is really a problem, as I often say here on the forum. Everything, apart from cables and stands needs to fit into a standard computer type backpack.

The big wins for this little recorder (for our projects):
  • Small enough to fit in a regular consumer computer backpack.
  • No need to read the manual all the time (like SD788)
  • 10 channels plus stereo mix at 24/192
  • TC input directly from a GH5 via HDMI with auto start/stop
  • Clock sync in/out and TC in/out via coax
  • Binaural monitoring of the Sennheiser AMBEO mic.
  • Sony L series batteries or Hirose input with wide voltage range
  • Cab be used as an 10 channel interface for Auria Pro on an iPad
  • Overdubbing with the Musician Plug-in
  • Wingman remote control. So many scenarios possible.

You can hit the road with this thing in your day pack, along with a bundle of 8 Senn MKH8000 in a Domke Wrap, plus your headphones and iPad. Pair of GH5s with a few lenses in a small satchel, and that's an easy carry-on load, even in coach. Cables, stands and a few LED lights in a checked bag and you're ready to go.
My day job is a producer, and on all the sets Sound Devices recorders rule. I wanted one for years but they weren't made for music work and $3K was a lot of money. Just got the MixPre6M and it sounds great. I'm totally non-technical and have hit every corner there is using it as a stand alone. The results however are very satisfying. Because the unit is tiny, they had to design a workflow for it. Once you get the work arounds it is intuitive. The scale of the thing is the only drawback but obviously a huge plus for mobility. Build quality is unreal and the screen is truly amazing. For such a small surface, it works well. sound quality is the real star, and I think you will be very very happy....
Old 11th September 2018
Gear Addict

FYI, Sound Devices announced the upcoming firmware version 3 for the MixPre series, which includes the following enhancements, all of which sound great to me:

Support for a new Ambisonics plugin for MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T
Full MixPre Series integration support for four 3rd-party USB fader controllers
Wireless remote transport control & monitoring of M models & Musician plugin via Wingman App on iOS &/or Android mobile devices
Old 11th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
FYI, Sound Devices announced the upcoming firmware version 3 for the MixPre series, which includes the following enhancements, all of which sound great to me:

Wireless remote transport control & monitoring of M models & Musician plugin via Wingman App on iOS &/or Android mobile devices
Where did you see this?

Never mind, found it in my email, thanks.

Last edited by dogmusic; 11th September 2018 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: New info
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
I'm not on the MixPre mailing list yet. Did they give a target date for the release of the new firmware?

Quote:

Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
Another option I'd like to see is the ability to route pre-fade to USB. As it is, it seems that output to USB is post-fade only. Can anyone else confirm that's the case?
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I'm not on the MixPre mailing list yet. Did they give a target date for the release of the new firmware?
No, but I doubt we'll have to wait long. My guess is later this week or at the latest sometime next week (but that's just a guess). They sent the email in advance of IBC, which starts today or tomorrow, so I imagine they'll release it after their official announcement there.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
Well, I hope it’s soon. I’ve got a Sennheiser AMBEO burning a hole in my mic locker!

Quote:
No, but I doubt we'll have to wait long. My guess is later this week or at the latest sometime next week (but that's just a guess). They sent the email in advance of IBC, which starts today or tomorrow, so I imagine they'll release it after their official announcement there.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
MixPre10t Post fade to USB

I just got off the phone with Sound Devices tech support about this pre vs post-fade to USB issue. The tech was able to reproduce the behavior in which ONLY post fade is sent to the computer via USB. He himself seemed confident that there was a way to send pre-fade over. Of course he was, because that’s what makes the most sense.

He called back shortly after and advised that PRE-FADE TO THE USB CHANNELS IS BY DESIGN. This, to me makes no sense at all and ignores the typical scenario for music recording. Typically, we would want to use the faders on the recorder to create a rough mix on the fly in real time. Meanwhile, the computer is capturing the pre-fade signal to be used later in a proper mix.

He did add it to a feature request, but to me, this makes no sense. Pre-fade to USB should be the default mode. The workaround he described was to set the faders at unity gain. But, of course, this means you can no longer use the recorder’s faders.

So, if you have one of these machines, please call Sound Devices and ask them to change this!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search