The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Is This Really Recorded Live?
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Is This Really Recorded Live?

I can't decide whether this is really recorded live. It seems like the separation is too good. But I'm not up to date on the latest tech. What do you experts think? They have a whole DVD like this.

YouTube
Old 16th April 2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbieinstein View Post
I can't decide whether this is really recorded live. It seems like the separation is too good. But I'm not up to date on the latest tech. What do you experts think? They have a whole DVD like this.

YouTube
Why do you think it wasn't captured live? It seems like it's live to me, yet there could be some overdubs especially in the vocal Department.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
Its Japanese
They take something simple and re engineer it complicated and slightly weird
They build it very well indeed, but is it as good as the original rather ramshackle RnR that we all love
And who cares if its live
What is now a days ?
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Back in the days, Beavis & Butthead would be..
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Really Recorded Live?-image.png  
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbieinstein View Post

YouTube
Seems like a live recording to me done with multiple microphones, pickups and direct boxes and mixed down to stereo. What are you seeing that does not make it look or sound like it was recorded live?
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

This is Live. so if the other is well recorded then the source could easily be Live.
then the rest be down to the general editing / mixing practices, I'd hazard.

Old 18th April 2018
LX3
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like there's a lot of drum replacement going on in that mix, and a lot of drum timing fixes too. I'd have real suspicions about the vocal as well.

It's not unusual at all for modern "live recordings" to be a shockingly long way from being genuinely live. Not necessarily thru the use of overdubs, but using drum replacement/enhancement/re-timing, vocal tuning, guitar and bass reamping, editing parts to cover up mistakes, etc.

It makes me a bit sad that a listener can no longer rely on a live recording as a reasonably true representation of a band.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Believe it or not, I have actually seen this band live and they were def playing their instruments. Very tight band. Not sure about this video though- BG vocals sound too perfect.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
Sounds to me like there's a lot of drum replacement going on in that mix, and a lot of drum timing fixes too. I'd have real suspicions about the vocal as well.

It's not unusual at all for modern "live recordings" to be a shockingly long way from being genuinely live. Not necessarily thru the use of overdubs, but using drum replacement/enhancement/re-timing, vocal tuning, guitar and bass reamping, editing parts to cover up mistakes, etc.

It makes me a bit sad that a listener can no longer rely on a live recording as a reasonably true representation of a band.
It still for all intents and purposes a "live recording" in today's world. Have a look at this YouTube video and judge for yourself (also read the comments)

Supposedly it is a live recording but ???
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
It still for all intents and purposes a "live recording" in today's world. Have a look at this YouTube video and judge for yourself (also read the comments)

I believe they played it live, but not there. I say it was recorded in a hall with excellent acoustics by a full orchestra and chorus. No way you get that resonance on cobblestones with no walls. The balance is too good. And I don't see any microphones.

But who cares? Once Madonna popularized onstage lipsyncing it was all over for authenticity.

I don't know why they didn't use the original bass part, which IMO is the best thing for that instrument ever. It doesn't take any more effort.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
Believe it or not, I have actually seen this band live and they were def playing their instruments. Very tight band. Not sure about this video though- BG vocals sound too perfect.
Yeah. I think they are doing most of it live but it is a little too polished. I'm particularly suspicious of the rhythm guitar. I'm pretty sure the lead player overdubbed that. The singer usually strains live. But who knows? Maybe it was a good night.

I do believe that the bassist, drummer, and lead git really played that. I guess 60% live is more than most bands do.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Never seen/heard this band before -- they've got talent!
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

I can't tell if that was all done live or not. The drums sound like there is a lot of triggering and samples going on. The other instruments and vocals... Another tell for me that it may not be live is that you don't hear the flame pots. Those things, in addition to being hot as hell are also fracking loud. They would have gotten into the vocal mics and drum over heads. But, it's anyone's guess.

This video by the same band sounds more like a fully live recording than the first one does. The drums in particular.

YouTube

I've worked some pretty large A level touring shows that were 90% playback from Protools (yes, I've unboxed the Protools rig at FOH). I've seen touring engineers take mic cables and just toss them under the band stand because they have the parts tracked in Protools.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post

Given that there are no microphones present in the video, and that the sound quality does not change when the video changes, i.e. when you get a close up of the choir singers, I'm going with: staged live for video, audio recorded either before or after.

Didn't we have a thread on this a year or two ago when this video first came out?
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
Flash Mob, pre record and playback via mobile phone/earpiece

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search