The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Copyright question about public performance Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
(My first classic quote from GS: "A $200 cable is better than a $2 cable. But it is not better than a $5 cable.")
I wanted to say your “Copyright summary” is very good! (However, I did not want to quote the whole thing. I try to conserve digital trees. ) In fact, my music business class would have been worth the tuition if we were told “The music industry is hard. Here is why” and were given a sheet of paper with your “copyright summary” written on it. I feel it has the sort of non-subjective information every musician could use.
Old 23rd April 2018
Deleted User
This is a point that has not been raised in this thread yet. "Customer Satisfaction". When the OP stated that his original question concerning copyright law, he also said that it was asked of him by a concerned parent of one of their students. In 2018, customer service has went the way of the dodo.

As a small business owner who deals with children, the parents are the ones who you really need to please. IMHO, if the OP was to contact this parent and state: "Dear Mr. Jones, I have talked to Bob Evens, VP of legal affairs with XYZ Music Copyright Licensing, via email, concerning your question. He has assured me that we are well within our rights to use this music", or

"Dear Mr. Jones, I have talked to Bob Evens, VP of legal affairs with XYZ Music Copyright Licensing, via email, concerning your question. He has advised us to purchase a license to use our material in the future, just to be on the safe side. I would like to thank you for helping us to become a better service provider. You will not be billed next month as a sign of our appreciation".

This got me to thinking about all the talented Artist in this community. I would only imagine that anyone of them, would be honored to be asked if their original music could be used to help children advance their education concerning music. Think about the free exposure this could bring as well as having student after student, emulate your own talent.

That got me to thinking about maybe a Mod or Admin could start a thread or forum for the members in this community, that would allow others to use their audio, free of charge with no copyright restrictions. It could be used for Music Schools, intros/outros for Podcasting, background music for interviews or narration or even audio books if it fits the theme. The only requirement would be to name the person or band, and include their link where people could come to check them out. Any thoughts?
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_T. View Post
...I know about the ignore list but this is 100% BS. I am going to ask you publicly, is there any restrictions or consequences on insulting other members, on a consistent basis? I understand we all have a bad day every now and then...
...but it's a simple and effective measure to keep yourself happy - 'love and peace' ringo would probably say!
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_T. View Post
This is a point that has not been raised in this thread yet. "Customer Satisfaction". When the OP stated that his original question concerning copyright law, he also said that it was asked of him by a concerned parent of one of their students. In 2018, customer service has went the way of the dodo.

As a small business owner who deals with children, the parents are the ones who you really need to please. IMHO, if the OP was to contact this parent and state: "Dear Mr. Jones, I have talked to Bob Evens, VP of legal affairs with XYZ Music Copyright Licensing, via email, concerning your question. He has assured me that we are well within our rights to use this music", or

"Dear Mr. Jones, I have talked to Bob Evens, VP of legal affairs with XYZ Music Copyright Licensing, via email, concerning your question. He has advised us to purchase a license to use our material in the future, just to be on the safe side. I would like to thank you for helping us to become a better service provider. You will not be billed next month as a sign of our appreciation".

This got me to thinking about all the talented Artist in this community. I would only imagine that anyone of them, would be honored to be asked if their original music could be used to help children advance their education concerning music. Think about the free exposure this could bring as well as having student after student, emulate your own talent.

That got me to thinking about maybe a Mod or Admin could start a thread or forum for the members in this community, that would allow others to use their audio, free of charge with no copyright restrictions. It could be used for Music Schools, intros/outros for Podcasting, background music for interviews or narration or even audio books if it fits the theme. The only requirement would be to name the person or band, and include their link where people could come to check them out. Any thoughts?
I'm definitely with the idea of understanding your customer and target market. Good point.

I'd just tell the parents the truth though: "no big deal, no one's messing with kid's recital performance licensing, issuing licenses for 100,000 student recitals a year would cost publishers considerably more to bother with than they'd ever see in return. If you put their performance up on Youtube you may get a notice that the funds are going to the copyright holder, but that's a good thing, it means you're making the copyright holder additional unexpected money, they'll be glad you've done it."

Reality education is by far the most useful, for the kids and parents. In reality, "Bob Evens, VP of legal affairs with XYZ Music Copyright Licensing" doesn't have the time or budget for kid recital questions lol. You'd most likely never get a response.
Old 23rd April 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
I'm definitely with the idea of understanding your customer and target market. Good point.
As a licensed small business owner myself, one of my best features as well as selling points is customer service. I have one toll free number in the USA as well as a world wide number that any customer can call, 24-7-365. These numbers are forwarded to the phone that hangs on my hip or is placed 12 inches from my head when I sleep.

Quote:
I'd just tell the parents the truth though: "no big deal, no one's messing with kid's recital performance licensing, issuing licenses for 100,000 student recitals a year would cost publishers considerably more to bother with than they'd ever see in return.
You and I may know the truth, but often Parents want a different source to back up our claims, which without such sources, may be viewed as our opinions.

Quote:
If you put their performance up on Youtube you may get a notice that the funds are going to the copyright holder, but that's a good thing, it means you're making the copyright holder additional unexpected money, they'll be glad you've done it."
I am not aware of this feature. I know if you use copyrighted material on YT, the holder of that copyright, can advertise on your video free of charge.

Quote:
Reality education is by far the most useful, for the kids and parents. In reality, "Bob Evens, VP of legal affairs with XYZ Music Copyright Licensing" doesn't have the time or budget for kid recital questions lol. You'd most likely never get a response.
I agree 100%. That is why I provided the link in my previous response to the OP from the legal affairs, he already gave his opinion on what needed to be done. I used Bob Evens, as I just came back to the office and that is where I had lunch, "Bob Evens". You can click here to see the real response that Sam Mosenkis, vice president of legal affairs for ASCAP gave. It is under PERFORMANCES, it is the 13th paragraph from the top.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search