The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stero pair to record classical music Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Head

Now I can buy a pair of used km184, are they a good solution for to record classical music and orchestra? In this case with an ortf pair of km184 and two line audio om1 on the side?
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorba1977 View Post
Now I can buy a pair of used km184, are they a good solution for to record classical music and orchestra? In this case with an ortf pair of km184 and two line audio om1 on the side?
Hi Zorba,

The 184s will certainly work. I could make a recording with those tools.

With that said, if I had more choices I wouldn't choose 184s for orchestra mains. If I wanted cardiod pattern I would look at dpa 4011s , mkh 8040/40, or Schoeps. I've also used MBHO, which I can recommend for the budget minded.

If the deal on the used 184s is really good ($1200 USD is normal) and you're comfortable with a 'sharp' sound... Go for it!
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

I love the KM184 on double bass. Great sound!
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of 184s that I've used a number of times on baroque orchestras, usually in a Faulkner array with either Shure KSM 141s for omnis or, more recently, 3Uaudio CM100 with omni capsules (Schoeps and DPAs are just not in the budget at the moment). I've been very happy with the 184s on all kinds of sources, and the 3U mics are voiced with the 18x series in mind, so they make a pretty nice combination for the budget-conscious. I haven't found the 184s to be sharp or unpleasant at all, just clean, clear, and perhaps a bit finicky regarding placement and preamp selection. Haven't worked with the Line Audio mics yet but I'd think you'd get perfectly decent captures using them with the Neumanns.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search