The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic with TRRS into Tascam DR100MK2? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Mic with TRRS into Tascam DR100MK2?

Perhaps a bit low end for this section of the forum.

Microphones designed for use with/on top of a DSLR camera have 3.5mm TRS or TRRS cables from what I can tell. On my (these days rarely used) Tascam DR-100MKII (that's 2, not 3) there is a "stereo mini jack line in". Would that be compatible with one of those camera mics?

If yes, that would remove the need to buy for example a Zoom F1 to conduct an experiment I have in mind.

Regards, Christine
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Answering my own question: Yes.

After I wrote this I remembered I have a Rode NT4 that comes with a TRRS cable. Sufficient to test if this works. Yes it does.

Regards, Christine
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Christine, my Tascam DR-70D has a 3.5 mm input jack labelled: EXTERNAL IN 1/2 that supports mics with mini TRS plugs. It also provides power to them. As well, this jack doubles as a LINE IN. The function of the jack is configured in the menu. I suspect that the DR-100 MKII is similar - check your manual. However, a TRRS jack is not supported on my recorder.

EDIT: I see you have already figured this out. I am surprised that TRRS works. On my DR-70D, T=Hot, R=COLD, S=Ground.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Sorry, I was confused. The Rode NT4 has a TRS connector, which does provide a stereo signal. This is fine, because the mic I have in mind is also TRS (and not TRRS as I thought). Unbalanced stereo.

Edit: Oh, and as to the why: In the spring and summer we regularly see community bands playing outdoors. I would like to try to record them (with permission from the band, nothing surreptitious). But dragging all the expensive equipment is too bulky, too heavy and too fragile. So I was thinking: camera tripod (which I have), DR-100MKII (which I have) on a clip attached to that (I have the right clip), and one of the stereo camera mics on top op the camera tripod. Probably needs an extension cable for the TRS connector and a furry wind thing appropriate to the mic. I am looking at the Sennheiser MKE440. Won't be anything worthy of publishing but might be fun.

Regards, Christine
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Ah, so that's the reason why I had to crank it all the way up to hear something out of my Rode NT4.

The built in mics are not really good enough for what I have in mind.

Regards, Christine
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search