The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harpsichord solo with a pair of Rode NTRs Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Harpsichord solo with a pair of Rode NTRs

Dear all,

I have initiated a birthday series for François Couperin (350 years in 2018) by recording his 8 Préludes from 'L'Art de toucher le Clavecin' on my teaching harpsichord at the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp: the famous original Dulcken 1747 harpsichord at Museum Vleeshuis. Starting today, each week will see a new upload, so I'm sharing the first Prélude today with you.

The museum has very large acoustics: the whole main floor is solid stone, interrupted only by some text panels and other instruments. Very noisy as well (humidifiers/ventilators and city centre of Antwerp), so I used some RX. No other effects were used, no EQ, no editing at all.

Recorded using a pair of Rode NTRs in the 'Faulkner Phased Array' (forward-facing fig8s in 20cm AB), into RME UFX with 45dB of gain. Microphones about 1,5m away from the instrument, at 1,8m above the harpsichord floor level (the instrument is standing on a small podium), diagonally 'perpendicular' to the bentside and angled towards the soundboard. Video recorded with Nikon and Panasonic cameras.

Hope you will enjoy! I'll post the updates in the comments below -- the current video only shows one register, the next one will have two 8' registers engaged, and the third video the full set of three strings per note, with 8'8'4'.

YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Harpsichord solo with a pair of Rode NTRs-2018-04-09-13.56.51.jpg   Harpsichord solo with a pair of Rode NTRs-2018-04-09-13.47.52.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
Hope you will enjoy!
I did indeed enjoy that, quite a lot actually. Amazing that a piece of wood that old can be tuned so well and sound so nice.

Nice bit of playing too. And the perfect mics/technique for that instrument in that setting, with your playing. Fabulous.

Korneel, you bring a smile to my face.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Apo - very nice in many ways. My impression, however, is that the harpsichord is meant as a salon-type instrument with a more intimate feel, and the recording is presenting it more in a cathedral organ type manner, ie, the reverb seems far too huge for the intimacy of the instrument.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
My impression, however, is that the harpsichord is meant as a salon-type instrument with a more intimate feel, and the recording is presenting it more in a cathedral organ type manner, ie, the reverb seems far too huge for the intimacy of the instrument.
True and not true :-)
Historically, harpsichords would be found in salons indeed, but also in larger ballrooms (the type of foyers you can find in older opera houses for instance) with lush (wooden) acoustics, churches, chapels...
But anyway, this instrument has been staying in this museum since the 70s, moving is not an option, so I had to record it in the room it is standing in. I guess with omnis or even cardioids I would pickup way more reflections from stone floor and stone ceilings, so the fig8s did serve me well here...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

That was really nice!
Old 6 days ago
Very very nice!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Beautiful sound and playing. Time travel, really.

Visually nice also (though I can't help imagining this without the plastic spiral binding of the print music).
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks so far for all the comments!
Have to say that I am falling quite in love with the NTRs :-)

Here is the second prelude, using two strings per key as opposed to one in the first video: YouTube
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. You are making me want to postpone other planned purchases in favor a pair of NTRs too
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

hm... - technically okay, aesthetically questionable.

to make it clear, this is about taste - and mine is obiously different: i don't like the recording, all i can hear is some harpsicord floating around in a rather large room. there is a mismatch between direct sound (actually sound that creates the illusion of beeing close to the instrument in this case: it's lacking almost all directional information at the same time) and the room sound: too much and too large (for a more intimate sound).

don't wanna be rude, it's just what i'm hearing and trying to desribe - again, other folks may like the recording a lot (and that's okay).
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

I love it. Please keep them coming.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search