The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Zoom H6 - Cannot get it to record MS raw
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Nut

Zoom H6 - Cannot get it to record MS raw

The title really says it all. I cannot get a raw M/S recording out of either the MSH-6 nor the SSH-6 microphone on the Zoom H6. I always get an already decoded .wav file and not the M on the left and S on the right.

What baffles me: the menu option MS-RAW Monitor makes no difference, neither for monitoring via headphones on the H6 itself nor for the actual recording (the latter I would expect since it's called monitor). And there's nowhere in the menu any option regarding the MS Matrix for the L&R channel, which is used for the front attached Zoom mics. For external mics (i.e. inputs 1&2, 3&4) there is an MS matrix, but not for the 'built in' ones?

I must be missing something huge here, this makes no sense whatsoever?
Old 3rd April 2018
I have a zoom H6 but haven't tried MS recording with it. I could do a test myself if you want. Just looked at the manual, is the file you're getting that's already decoded named xxxx_LR.WAV?
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Nut

OK, I figured it out, duh. Manual p.33. Why I missed that the first 10 times of reading the manual, god knows. If an admin would like to delete this thread, please go ahead. If it might help somebody else, I don't mind my ignorance and seeming inability to read being on display forever.
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Nut

Ah thanks omega75, we must have posted at the same time. The level of the S-channel can be adjusted with the 'joystick' to the right and when all the way up it switches to RAW mode. The files are still called xxx_LR.wav, but are now unencoded. So basically the MS-matrix for L&R is not in the menu, but right on the 'front page', which admittedly makes sense, I was somehow just too blind to find it.
Old 3rd April 2018
Cool, glad you got it sorted. Good info, been meaning to try the MS mic myself.
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathek View Post
OK, I figured it out, duh. Manual p.33. Why I missed that the first 10 times of reading the manual, god knows. If an admin would like to delete this thread, please go ahead. If it might help somebody else, I don't mind my ignorance and seeming inability to read being on display forever.
I'm so glad I found this thread, and that it wasn't deleted. I was having the exact same problem, for such a long time I'm embarrassed to admit the length of, and you just fixed everything for me!

My problem, was not knowing to access that menu from the "Home Screen", as page 33 of the manual briefly mentions. I kept digging through all the subfolders of the H6 menus, looking in the wrong place. Now, I can finally use my Mid-Side microphone as a mono cardioid mic, or a mono figure-of-eight mic, in addition to being a stereo microphone. It feels like someone just gave me two new microphones!

Thank you!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

That's nice but only work with internal MS microphone !
How do record RAW M/S using external MS ?
txs
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search