The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Extinct Audio....new ribbon mics inspired by B&O Equalisers (HW)
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pk View Post
These must keep you fit! Joking aside, could you recommend any currently available mic stands that have very heavy round bases but which are not priced at the Panamic Cathedral level? (And the Panamic is evidently not designed to support a stereo bar with more than perhaps four small SDCs.) The Atlas models that have round bases (as opposed to the triangular bases that come with their largest models) seem only to have bases weighing about 2-3.5kg, which doesn't strike me as sufficient when there's trip risk. (I suppose the ideal would be a modular round base system where the user could add additional rounds, as a weight lifter can add additional weight discs to his bar...)

Thank you for any suggestions.

John Pk
That was generic pic I found in a Google search, to show the general principle of high mass, low centre of gravity (and ideally, wide diameter also) Yes they're a trial to lift and carry.

Mine are vintage 1950's/60's hammer tone green base models...ugly but ideal for my purpose ! I'll post a pic soon. Wide footprint too. I don't know of any current equivalent, although the K+M round base models are good because you can add weight lifting discs to the upright arm to increase mass (and such weights are very cheap to buy secondhand !)

I would add that the original stand only went up to about 7 feet, so I had to cannibalize a taller telescoping stand and slide it inside the original stand's 1st stage upright...fortunately the diameters matched to allow this, but it's a bit of a mule to look at lol

Sandbags, weightlifting rounds, gaffa-taping feet to the floor and yellow/black striped 'hornet tape' to draw attention can all help with stability and keeping people at a respectful distance.
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Head

Swerving dangerously close to the original topic....

There is a nice review of the BM9 in the current edition of Tape Op.

Cheers
Stewart
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra50 View Post
Swerving dangerously close to the original topic....

There is a nice review of the BM9 in the current edition of Tape Op.

Cheers
Stewart
That's a favourable review, with real-world examples. Are you able to post a photo of the mentioned new shock mount, perhaps with your mic in place within it ?
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Head

Hi Studer58

I will post pictures when we have the finished version. The new vibration mounts are in production. We have the prototype but I'll wait until we have the pretty version.

One small errata on the Tape Op review: The mics are now supplied with a rugged hard tail mount (a bit like an RE20 clamp). The vibration mount will be a paid extra, same as you see for many other manufacturers.

Cheers
Stewart
Xaudia / Extinct Audio
Old 27th September 2018
Mics used to come with a printed out frequency response plot.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

I wouldn't buy this microphone because it does not include an adequate
technical description.
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Mics used to come with a printed out frequency response plot.
Hi Jim

We're working on it. Our own modest test chamber is only a few meters in dimension. We have sent sample mics over to a couple of chambers in the UK, and also taking one to AEA in California for comparison. Once that is done then we will be able to publish comparison charts.

I'm sure you'll understand as well as anyone the challenges of measuring figure-8 mics in a real space. Almost all calibration mics are omni, which means side reflections become a real issue.

I don't want erroneous charts floating around. Bad information on the web is hard to eradicate once out there.

Cheers
Stewart

Last edited by zebra50; 28th September 2018 at 07:03 PM..
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
technical description.
Aracu - what would you like to see?
Thanks
Stewart
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
technical description.
Aracu - what would you like to see?
Thanks
Stewart
If I was considering buying a passive ribbon mic I would want to know at least the (manufacturer's published claim of) frequency response, sensitivity, self noise, maximum spl, and weight of the microphone, with a polar pattern chart and a frequency response chart. With this info I would have a basic idea of how I could encorporate it into location recording scenarios.

An example of specifications given by SE Electronics:

VR1 (passive)

Electronics: Passive

Generating Element: Hand-tensioned 2.5µm aluminum ribbon

Directional Pattern: Figure-8

Frequency range: 20 Hz - 18 kHz

Impedance: 300 Ohms

Sensitivity: 1.78 mV/Pa (-55 dB)

Max SPL: 135 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)

Signal to Noise Ratio: 75 dB

Self Noise: 19 dB(A)

Matching Connectors: XLR3F

Power requirement: N/A (phantom-protected)

Weight: 230g / 8.11oz

(they include a clear polar pattern chart and a frequency response chart)
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Head

Many thanks - helpful.

It has been a long journey from the repair shop many of you know, to sticking my nose in the wind and becoming a manufacturer. Literally, putting my money where my mouth is. Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement.

:

Some of this information was on our website previously but had got lost off at an update. Some wasn't - I will kick the test and measurement department into action.

I need to figure our a good way to draw polar patterns. The standard BM9 is true figure 8 but quite a tight 8 compared to most ribbons.

Old 28th September 2018
Quote:
Hi Jim

We're working on it. Our own modest test chamber is only a few meters in dimension. We have sent sample mics over to a couple of chambers in the UK, and also to AEA in California for comparison. Once that is done then we will be able to publish comparison charts.

I'm sure you'll understand as well as anyone the challenges of measuring figure-8 mics in a real space. Almost all calibration mics are omni, which means side reflections become a real issue.

I don't want erroneous charts floating around. Bad information on the web is hard to eradicate once out there.

Cheers
Stewart
JBL in Northridge has one of the largest and best anechoic test rooms in the world. It is available for outside rental. You can automate the movement of the DUT as well. Most chambers don't have that ability.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I was considering buying a passive ribbon mic I would want to know at least the (manufacturer's published claim of) frequency response, sensitivity, self noise, maximum spl, and weight of the microphone, with a polar pattern chart and a frequency response chart. With this info I would have a basic idea of how I could encorporate it into location recording scenarios.
Is self-noise even a meaningful specification in a passive mic?
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
yes
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That was generic pic I found in a Google search, to show the general principle of high mass, low centre of gravity (and ideally, wide diameter also) Yes they're a trial to lift and carry.

Mine are vintage 1950's/60's hammer tone green base models...ugly but ideal for my purpose ! I'll post a pic soon. Wide footprint too. I don't know of any current equivalent, although the K+M round base models are good because you can add weight lifting discs to the upright arm to increase mass (and such weights are very cheap to buy secondhand !)
Codename: 'Toebreaker' Material: cast iron Weight: 11 kg
Attached Thumbnails
Extinct Audio....new ribbon mics inspired by B&O-img_0251.jpg  
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
With passive ribbons, impedance is (or at least should be) the greatest contributor, and is often used as a proxy for self noise. If you have a 300 ohm passive mic, you pretty much know what to expect. And that's also a good way to know when something has gone wrong!

Mr Neve does a nice little round up here...

Microphone Impedance and Noise - Rupert Neve

And a nice little converter here...

Noise calculation calculator calculate Thermal noise Johnson noise white pink voltage level noise from measuring data calculate Nyquist dBu dBV signal-to-noise ratio S/N temperature bandwidth noise figure - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

dBu and dBv seem sensible units here for electrical noise from a passive mic.
dBA is usually used for acoustic noise, so it seems an odd one for the above manufacture to quote.

Signal:noise depends on the signal level, so again needs defining more precisely.

Last edited by zebra50; 7th October 2018 at 06:33 PM..
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That's a favourable review, with real-world examples. Are you able to post a photo of the mentioned new shock mount, perhaps with your mic in place within it ?
As promised - very very late.

Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear
That mount looks very similar to the Audio Technica 5045 mount, which works well when positioning the mic.
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Head

@brawee

Thanks and well spotted - there is a cosmetic resemblance but the rear closing mechanism here is rather different and allows a wider range of mic diameters to be accommodated.

This means we can fit all the old B&O mics in and a few others too.

And we have eight sets of thrust bearings in the mount for super smooth operation.

It's been fun putting this one together.
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear
That's an impressive looking piece of engineering....certainly beats a bunch of rubber bands inside a pair of concentric plastic rings !

I can see the little rubber o-rings would avoid scratching the mic body, and that presumably the knurled finger wheel at the back applies grip tension....but how is vibration mitigation achieved....there doesn't seem to be anything compliant or springy...it all seems rigidly interconnected ?
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Nut
These look super interesting. Would it be safe to hang the Black Ops from a mic cord in front of a guitar cab ala the Sennheiser 906/609?
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Addict
Are these an extra cost for those who already bought a viking?
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
These look super interesting. Would it be safe to hang the Black Ops from a mic cord in front of a guitar cab ala the Sennheiser 906/609?
These are MUCH heavier than the 609 types so you would need to secure the cable very well if you wanted to do it that way.
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbari View Post
Are these an extra cost for those who already bought a viking?
Hi Dale,

The Fenrir mount is a paid extra for new customers and existing owners. They cost too much to make to be able to give them away. However, we are giving a £50 discount to current owners. That gives you get the same savings as the current bundle we offer offer to new customers.

(hope that makes sense - email me if not. )

Cheers
Stewart
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Here's a concert recording made with a stereo pair of the BM9's :
YouTube

This one's a little more impressive: YouTube

Soundcloud audio: saxophone with piano accomp The Viking(s). Extinct Audio's BM9 Matched Stereo Pair. Alto Sax and Piano. by Martin Mitchell | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 10:02 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The Black Ops mics are out on tour with Foals, on guitar amp duty. Some video footage here (although the mics are hidden behind the screens).

Foals Live at Kew Gardens - Extinct Audio mics on guitars

Stewart
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search