The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 Frustrations
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Yes, all the Neumann KM 184 hanging from the ceiling at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam as spot mics have got entirely new electronics built in. They have become useful tools where as none of us would ever consider the stock one.
Interesting. I did see them hanging, but I couldn't spot the brand. Then again, hanging, no spots.

Maybe even worth considering :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Does anyone know whether the mic parts pcb fits straight into the KM184? That would open the door for many.
It's the capsule venting that creates the aggressive treble peak.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
without being in a room to record, Schoeps can't handle outside weather. Often artists set up to record in conditions that require a microphone that won't fail from humidity or change in temperatures.
I've used CMC54's outside at least a hundred times and have never had any issues - dozens of times out on the ocean, and even in the Amazon rainforest for a week...I've heard this humidity concern repeated often on the internet, but it's never been an issue for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
without being in a room to record, Schoeps can't handle outside weather. Often artists set up to record in conditions that require a microphone that won't fail from humidity or change in temperatures.
This is news to me. I own over a dozen Schoeps- lots of different capsules, CMC5&6 bodies. I use them for mixing live shows outdoors regularly and I’ve never had an issue. I’ve heard of these issues and I don’t doubt that people have them, but never with any that I own.

-Ben
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've definitely had them. They happen when the mic is considerably colder than the surrounding air, suddenly. Mic outside in the cold, suddenly brought into a car with several people in it, who had the heater on. Mic inside a cold air-conditioned room, suddenly brought out into a tropical, hot day. Answer: let your mics acclimatize. BTW, this issue can happen with other condenser mics besides Schoeps! It has to me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

May have been mentioned up-thread but having dirty diaphragms; dust, schmutz, not-been-serviced in many years, will exacerbate this problem that Philip talks about. Microphones, like other mechanical devices need occasional service. They work really well for lots of years, but they need a trip to their particular mother-ship every so often. I cycle through my mics in a sorta five year program, but admittedly, the ones that stay boxed up the most get less attention. I have heard that off-gassing foam in some cases (ha) adds to the problem but I hope the big-league players have sorted this out years ago. But I have never heard direct word fro Schoeps, Sennheiser, DPA, Neumann, etc that their foam is inert. Hmm.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can anyone tell me how the CMC 6 mk4 compares to the CCM 4? I have a chance to buy a pair of the latter for a good price.

Are they essentially the same except physically?

Last edited by Piedpiper; 6 days ago at 07:32 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
This is news to me. I own over a dozen Schoeps- lots of different capsules, CMC5&6 bodies. I use them for mixing live shows outdoors regularly and I’ve never had an issue. I’ve heard of these issues and I don’t doubt that people have them, but never with any that I own.

-Ben

Hi Ben,

Is it possible it is because you work mostly in southern California where the air is always dry and the condensation is not an issue?

Where I am in New York, I run into problems in the summer if I take my Schoeps from hot humid outside into an ACed concert hall for the first couple of minutes until they establish some equilibrium. I don't' work outdoors so wind is never an issue for me.

Best,

Da-Hong
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Can anyone tell me how the CMC 6 mk4 compares to the CCM 4? I have a chance to buy a pair of the latter for a good price.

Are they essentially the same except physically?
Schoeps says, "The technical data correspond to that of the respective MK capsule."
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Schoeps says, "The technical data correspond to that of the respective MK capsule."
Not sure exactly how that answers my question. What I read on their site talked about the specs of mk 4 capsule when used with the CMC 6 body. The CCM 4 made no reference to the mk 4 or CMC 6, though the description of the two were identical except for the references to the compactness of the CCM 4, thus my question. Could you explain your post?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Not sure exactly how that answers my question. What I read on their site talked about the specs of mk 4 capsule when used with the CMC 6 body. The CCM 4 made no reference to the mk 4 or CMC 6, though the description of the two were identical except for the references to the compactness of the CCM 4, thus my question. Could you explain your post?
I read the Schoeps sentence as saying that the specs of the CCM4 are the same as the CMC64. Indeed, it would also be logically true. How confusing to have a mini mic different than the regular pencil mic. I am sure they want to keep things as simple as possible.

Agreed?
Old 5 days ago
I do not have an overabundance of Schoeps microphones, but when I bought my cardiods I decided to go for the CMC5 MK5 capsule, for three reasons.

The availability of the omni on that capsule as well as the cardiod, the rising top end, (only a db or so) which I felt would be good for using as a main stereo pair (in ORTF etc) - giving reach, and also because Tony Faulkner at the time used them extensively, and I liked the recorded sound that he achieved.

I can't say I have ever been aware of a foggy ambience with those at all, and I've had the opportunity of comparing them with a variety of mics from other manufacturers. They are always the mics I pick up first.

Certainly a rising top end can give the impression of a faster microphone and clean up an acoustic that is muddy or foggy, but I don't think a microphone should be blamed for the shortcomings of an acoustic, rather we should reach for the microphone most suited to overcome those shortcomings.

There is a home here for the microphones of all discontented Schoeps users, I suspect I will not be getting too many applications!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

No, there is no fog.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I read the Schoeps sentence as saying that the specs of the CCM4 are the same as the CMC64. Indeed, it would also be logically true. How confusing to have a mini mic different than the regular pencil mic. I am sure they want to keep things as simple as possible.

Agreed?
I would think so. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
No, there is no fog.
Given the discernible improvements by reputable techs such as Jim Williams and Rens Heijnis, perhaps another way to say it is that although "fog" does a disservice to great tool, there is nonetheless room for improvement.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
Hi Ben,

Is it possible it is because you work mostly in southern California where the air is always dry and the condensation is not an issue?

Where I am in New York, I run into problems in the summer if I take my Schoeps from hot humid outside into an ACed concert hall for the first couple of minutes until they establish some equilibrium. I don't' work outdoors so wind is never an issue for me.

Best,

Da-Hong
I think we're talking two different issues. Condensation is a problem for any microphone. Not just schoeps. When I work outdoors, they will always have time to acclimate to the temperature. We quite definitely get lots of humidity at varying times of the year. One of my outdoor gigs I do every year is in the beginning of June- the so-called June gloom in Southern California. We get clouds and often almost a mist in the mornings. It isn't a regular occurrence, but we do get some rain as well in that season. It warms and dries up as the day progresses until the dew sets in the evening.

It isn't like the east coast with 90+ degree days with 90+ percent humidity, but we do have our own moisture issues to deal with.

--Ben
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search