The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In-ear binaural microphones for recording live rock concerts?
Old 23rd March 2018
Here for the gear

In-ear binaural microphones for recording live rock concerts?

Hello everybody, I'm planning to buy an affordable in-ear binaural microphone, for recording a variety of high quality audio, specifically live rock concerts. From watching a lot of Youtube videos, I've come to particularly like the Roland CS-10EM, for the amazingly natural sound it captures, and the more expensive Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset due to its dynamic quality and easy iPhone compatibility. However, the former requires me to also buy a portable digital recorder like the Zoom H1 or H2N, alongside an external battery box to avoid clipping or distortion due to high SPL prevalent in rock/metal shows. So it looks like either one is going to cost me an equal amount of money altogether. Which one would be a better deal for starters? If it is the Roland CS-10EM, which digital recorder and battery box would best pair with it?

Any other recommendations apart from these two devices are welcome. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Welcome!
While there are some knowledgeable binaural recordists around this forum, your inquiry might elicit more responses over at taperssection.com
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetirkey View Post
Hello everybody, I'm planning to buy an affordable in-ear binaural microphone, for recording a variety of high quality audio, specifically live rock concerts. From watching a lot of Youtube videos, I've come to particularly like the Roland CS-10EM, for the amazingly natural sound it captures, and the more expensive Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset due to its dynamic quality and easy iPhone compatibility. However, the former requires me to also buy a portable digital recorder like the Zoom H1 or H2N, alongside an external battery box to avoid clipping or distortion due to high SPL prevalent in rock/metal shows. So it looks like either one is going to cost me an equal amount of money altogether. Which one would be a better deal for starters? If it is the Roland CS-10EM, which digital recorder and battery box would best pair with it?

I would check for the legality of this endeavor before you take your recording rig to a concert and have it confiscated. Lots of acts have this type of recording specifically prohibited at their concerts.

The Grateful Dead, OTOH, use to provide a space and hook ups for fans recording their concerts.

Just a word to the wise.
Old 12th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetirkey View Post

Did you make any progress with this ? Hd been looking into the CS-10EM myself as I already own an H1. The H1 is small but it's obvious to anyone who sees it that it's a forbidden device at a concert ;-) The Sennheiser Ambeo would raise fewer eyebrows most likely. I did end up picking up a Roland Wearpro (a CS-10EM without the headphones part) that was originally designed for GoPros but can easily be equipped with a 3.5mm jack. Not sure about taking it to a loud concert though...especially since the H1 doesn't have a limiter, unlike the recent H1N.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search