The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Youth orchestra Condenser Microphones
Old 4 days ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
I can put 1 or 1.5 meter to the left and extend the boom arm so I can position a 40cm stereo bar as meter behind and above the conductor's head.
To position it correctly I would the stereo bar to connect a 90 angle to the boom arm with something like this :
Old 4 days ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
K&M 238 Microphone holder
Attached Thumbnails
Youth orchestra-microphone_holder_black_23800-300-55ea77a8cdd45aa2e30b2b0b5d0263f7a1-productpage_orig.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
  #33
Lives for gear
Yes that should work, and maybe now you have more flexibility in placement than if the stand was behind the conductor ?

Let's hope they don't come up with any more 'placement caveats' (it's usually video people who will surprise you with these, 20 mins before the concert is about to begin, as they are setting up their camera sight-lines)
Old 3 days ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
euhmmm no ... that wouldn't work ... unless I attach the Soundfield.
but last time one of the capsules was crackkling ...

so I need two stands for AB stereo or do a decca tree with outriggers.
they suddently agree on this.

The stage walls and rear will be covered with black curtain
is that better than concrete walls?

Last time I did a decca tree
a colleague brought small stands and attached extension rods on them,
and taped it to the floor. Visually not obtrusive at all, but I was fearing
the stands would fall down,....

So now I'll use Superlux MS200's.
Attached Thumbnails
Youth orchestra-7846862_800.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
  #35
Lives for gear
If they're now permitting 2 stands (is that 1 on each side of the conductor ?) then put a boom on top of each and make a kind of 'door archway' with the 2 boom arms, and a 67cm spaced omni pair (one mic on each boom arm) as your main pair...or lower both the stand sections, make a 17cm ORTF/or 30cm NOS spacing, then raise them to equal height ?

Sandbag the base of each stand and gaffa tape the legs to the floor also, as they are close to young musicians on either side....and leave the Tree for another time.

The black curtain will cut down on HF reflections, which could be good or bad...if you are given a choice rehearse with both, and see which sounds better for the recording ?
Old 3 days ago
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
euhmmm no ... that wouldn't work ... unless I attach the Soundfield.
but last time one of the capsules was crackkling ...

so I need two stands for AB stereo or do a decca tree with outriggers.
they suddently agree on this.

The stage walls and rear will be covered with black curtain
is that better than concrete walls?

Last time I did a decca tree
a colleague brought small stands and attached extension rods on them,
and taped it to the floor. Visually not obtrusive at all, but I was fearing
the stands would fall down,....

So now I'll use Superlux MS200's.
once it's one mic stand, then two, once your talking about coincident mics, then decca, once about gefell, then superlux, once about concrete, then curtains, once about one recorder, then two... - get a grip!
Old 3 days ago
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
once it's one mic stand, then two, once your talking about coincident mics, then decca, once about gefell, then superlux, once about concrete, then curtains, once about one recorder, then two... - get a grip!
Old 3 days ago
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
- get a grip!
wise advice, coming from the birth city of LSD !

Just pack and bring everything you might use, and be prepared for any eventuality or change of policy.... in the hour before the concert begins
Old 3 days ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
wise advice, coming from the birth city of LSD !

Just pack and bring everything you might use, and be prepared for any eventuality or change of policy.... in the hour before the concert begins
i read an interview with albert hofmann a few years ago where he mentioned that the world would maybe be a better place if more folks would try his invention every now and then...

(i'm sure you noticed that we got serious studies going on for treatment of patients with mental disorders and that there are high hopes lsd can help quite a few people)

and regarding mics/gear, i can recommend that too: grab everything you can, but have a plan (or two) - it happens way too often that major changes throw off everything one was trying to achieve just a few minutes/hours before, with troubles emerging mostly from video...
Old 3 days ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
exactly there will be video. It appears that was the reason the one and only central stand that I was forced to comply with, was suddenly declared a no-go.
Old 15 hours ago
  #41
Here for the gear
 

Lots of good suggestions already.

Another possibility to consider, depending on the quality of your ribbon mics and preamps, would be a central, single-stand blumlein main pair of ribbons, along with a pair of your best omnis or cardioids (depending on audience noise and location options) for room sound. With good ribbons, this can be a very flexible and forgiving set-up for concert recording.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump