The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam HSP82 - Update soon? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Head

Tascam HSP82 - Update soon?

The Tascam HSP82 sounds very good. It is however quite old. I am not a fan of the design, especially the layout of the screen, fonts and overly complicated user interface. I am hoping that they are working on a successor that is smaller, uses SD cards and better battery solutions. Tascam seems to keep updating it which is nice, rather than abandoning it. I know nobody has a crystal ball but I believe this device is close to 10 years old now?
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

I hope you're right about an update on the HS-P82. Have you looked at the Sonosax SX-R4+, seems like this would be a great recorder.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

SX-R4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
I hope you're right about an update on the HS-P82. Have you looked at the Sonosax SX-R4+, seems like this would be a great recorder.

The Sonosax is really a terrific recorder - but has only 4 mic ins + 2 line. To use its full capability, you need to add the pre AD8+ to it. The sound of the pre/converters is among the quietest and cleanest I have heard - audibly superior to the ageing amps in my decade old recorder the 788T - especially with quiet ribbons.

The Sonosax recorder does not have pan capability a very limited mix bus ... if you just need 8 channels, the AD8+ along with a cheap bit bucket and a laptop for backups would be the best way to go.

Best wishes,
Baithak
Old 13th April 2018
Tascam seems to be missing in action in the low to mid range market, as the DR680mk2 and HS-P82 are lagging way behind the Zoom F series of MixPre series.

However Tascam still has the ultra low end market nailed with the DR60mk2 and DR70D
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
HS-P82 are lagging way behind the Zoom F series of MixPre series.
Many people have said that in regards to sound, the HS-P82 outperforms both of the newer units you mentioned. You mean lagging in regards to features and sample rates?
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Head

Certainly not sample rate. The Tascam unit does a solid 192.
Old 19th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Many people have said that in regards to sound, the HS-P82 outperforms both of the newer units you mentioned. You mean lagging in regards to features and sample rates?
Well the PS-82 lacks things like ambisonics support (but the DR701D does), or an app, the keyboard is stuck with using PS/2 keyboards, and the sheer size of it makes it less friendly to work purely out of a bag, etc

Would be nice if Tascam released say a PS-82 but at the size and price of a DR701D?

I am perhaps being too hasty to judge the PS-82, and if any one has a side by side comparison of it with say a Zoom F8 then I'd love to see and hear that.
Old 19th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
Certainly not sample rate. The Tascam unit does a solid 192.
But then you're limited to only four tracks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search