The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices Announces MixPre-10M "For Musicians" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Nut

Sound Devices Announces MixPre-10M "For Musicians"

See MixPre-10M

Sounds like a musician-oriented version of the MixPre-10; they'll also offer a "musician plugin" for $100 to owners of the MixPre-10. I can't say I'm excited about it; it seems aimed at bands and others who want to do demos without having to use a DAW.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
See MixPre-10M

Sounds like a musician-oriented version of the MixPre-10; they'll also offer a "musician plugin" for $100 to owners of the MixPre-10. I can't say I'm excited about it; it seems aimed at bands and others who want to do demos without having to use a DAW.
It does both, which is handy to have. It's also multi-channel USB Audio Interface. The pre's are very, very nice for such a compact piece of kit.
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

I think it looks pretty cool.

No timecode on the MixPre 10M, but the 10T with the musicians plugin will be a very powerful piece of kit!

-Mike
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

I wish the 10T/10M had the ability to be linked to create a 16 channel recorder. That's the only thing holding me back from buying 2. Looking at used 788Ts now as I sometimes need more channels (that are in perfect sync over long periods of time).

Otherwise, the 10T and 10M look really nice!
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I think it looks pretty cool.

No timecode on the MixPre 10M, but the 10T with the musicians plugin will be a very powerful piece of kit!
I guess my initial reaction was that it doesn't do much my QSC Touchmix 8 can't do (you can record to an SSD, overdub, add effects, and mix down your recorded tracks directly on the Touchmix 8 or 16), but the SD preamps would be better and the Touchmix also only records 32-bit, 44k or 48k.
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
I wish the 10T/10M had the ability to be linked to create a 16 channel recorder. That's the only thing holding me back from buying 2. Looking at used 788Ts now as I sometimes need more channels (that are in perfect sync over long periods of time).

Otherwise, the 10T and 10M look really nice!
It’s a little kludgy but if you have a pair of external timecode boxes like the Tentacle Syncs you can link two 10T’s that way. You would just feed them the same time code through the aux ports and also link the word clock from one to the other. This will get you 16 tracks with sample accurate sync.

It won’t share metadata or transport control like linking two 788t’s over C-Link will, but it will get you the track count.

-Mike
Old 7th March 2018
I wonder if the lack of timecode is the only way they've crippled this vs the MixPre10T? Or if they have cut corners elsewhere?

As for less than that $300 price difference you could just buy yourself a TC box
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
I wonder if the lack of timecode is the only way they've crippled this vs the MixPre10T? Or if they have cut corners elsewhere?

As for less than that $300 price difference you could just buy yourself a TC box
Sound Devices - Feature Comparison

Looks like no timecode and no sound reports are the main things missing from the 10M. Not sure even timecode boxes would help though, there seems to be no way to lock the machine to external timecode (no timecode reader or generator).

The only thing you could do would be to record timecode on an audio track and then convert to metadata later.

-Mike
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Nut

There's an overview video at YouTube

The visual interface is pretty tiny; I'm not sure how much I'd want to use it for precise tasks like overdubbing, but the rest of the functions seem pretty easy to use. As you see in the video, they're really selling it as a simpler and faster alternative to recording to a DAW.
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear
I like it
Always wanted a sensible sel sync portable
This might be it
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Cool that SD even came out with machine seeing how their primary market (and mostly ONLY market) was the motion picture and video guys.

I have been using a 788T (as most of you know ) to record music for some time and it works well for the 2-6 mic classical concerts that I record typically. (I have a CL9 fader set and that makes even 8-mic jobs pretty easy, although now we'd be climbing into the Dante JoeCo area)

But to make the whole sel-sync thing available to musicians moves SD in an entirely new direction. I am excited to see what might be coming out of Reedsburg in the near future. 16-tracks with a fader unit? At 96k? With time code? Oooh, getting a bit excited now. Simmer down Doug.

D.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
But to make the whole sel-sync thing available to musicians moves SD in an entirely new direction. I am excited to see what might be coming out of Reedsburg in the near future. 16-tracks with a fader unit? At 96k? With time code? Oooh, getting a bit excited now. Simmer down Doug.

D.
I'm reeeeeeeally hoping for a fader unit that works with the MixPre units (hint hint, anybody listening?). I mean it has the USB port ready to go and everything!

-Mike
Old 8th March 2018
Quote:
Sound Devices - Feature Comparison

Looks like no timecode and no sound reports are the main things missing from the 10M. Not sure even timecode boxes would help though, there seems to be no way to lock the machine to external timecode (no timecode reader or generator).

The only thing you could do would be to record timecode on an audio track and then convert to metadata later.

-Mike
Yup, sadly I realised that after I made my post :-(

Written up my thoughts at the end of my new blog post:

Sound Devices MixPre10M announced (a MixPre10T without the “T”, for Musicians) – David Peterson

In short, this is not the recorder I'm seeking.

However it is still good news for SD users in general.
Old 8th March 2018
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I know! Thats exactly the form factor I want. But I want it to sound good too

-Mike
A digital control surface sounds different to another ?
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
A digital control surface sounds different to another ?
The Zoom F8 definitely sounds different than the SD MixPre series!

-Mike
Old 8th March 2018
Quote:
I know! Thats exactly the form factor I want. But I want it to sound good too
F8 sounds good! People won't tell the difference in double blind A/B tests. Even less of a chance if not A/B testing!
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Zoom F8 definitely sounds different than the SD MixPre series!

-Mike
No, slow down, I said the CL-9 sounds different than the Zoom F Control ?
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
No, slow down, I said the CL-9 sounds different than the Zoom F Control ?
Nope thats not at all what anybody else was saying, if you go through and read a little more carefully.

That said, both the CL-9 and the F-Control are part of closed systems, meaning the CL-9 can only work with the 788t and the F-Control only with the zoom products. The (hopefully) forthcoming fader surface for the SD MixPre series that I actually was comparing to the Zoom one I assume will also be part of a closed system, working only with the MixPre's. So in that way, yes its fair to compare the sound of the devices because in buying a fader control surface you are necessarily tied to the recorder that goes with it. Savvy?

-Mike
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nope thats not at all what anybody else was saying, if you go through and read a little more carefully.
Ah yes I see now what you are saying, the controllers are not interchangeable between brands. I agree it's vitally important that the manufacturers get the right blend of features, functions and ergonomics in a controller...and it rarely happens !

As a box aimed at musicians, they probably should have integrated the control surface into the recorder, to be a little more like the Zoom R16 or R24 ?

Zoom R16 Multi-Track Recorder & Mixer, Computer ZR16 B&H
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Or the Aanton Cantar X3
CantarX3 | Aaton Digital
for those on a champagne and caviar budget...
I remember that when it first came out there were some "heat problems" with the units. I wonder if they ever got that problem solved (I am sure they did but...?)
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Watched the short video that bradh posted. YouTube The sales pitch seems to be that this unit is better than a USB interface because it frees you from a computer.

My thought is SD should be looking at this from the opposite viewpoint. I would have liked to have seen a recorder that would connect to a router via ethernet to link over wifi to a computer DAW in a control room elsewhere for remote recording, but with physical controls on the recorder for standalone recording. The way they have designed the 10T and 10M, it appears that you can connect them to a computer via USB, but how far can you actually run even a powered USB cable and still be able to maintain a connection to these units?

Even more, why didn't they give us the ability to control the 10T and 10M via a tablet over wifi instead of bluetooth????
Old 8th March 2018
RPC
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Even more, why didn't they give us the ability to control the 10T and 10M via a tablet over wifi instead of bluetooth????
In many venues the WiFi spectrum is crowded enough to make time-sensitive communication questionable. I've seen more than a few guys drop the WiFi links to their rack-mount mixers. ("Open the pod bay doors, HAL.")
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post

They did wifi wiht the 788T and then Apple changed things and the wifi stopped working. Maybe going bluetooth insulates their products from Apple doing stupid stuff that prevents the remote connection?

-Tom
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s a little kludgy but if you have a pair of external timecode boxes like the Tentacle Syncs you can link two 10T’s that way. You would just feed them the same time code through the aux ports and also link the word clock from one to the other. This will get you 16 tracks with sample accurate sync.

It won’t share metadata or transport control like linking two 788t’s over C-Link will, but it will get you the track count.

-Mike
Not a fan of having to manually line up tracks, which is what I think would happen with manually starting each recorder separately.

I posed this question on the Sound Devices facebook page (wish they kept the old forum instead) and the response was that the units might drift over time. Although their suggested method was a little different than what you're suggesting. I think people there were advising me to sync units to each other, without something like a tentacle in between.

If SD were to come out with some sort of firmware update that allowed for a simple way to sync up the devices over long periods of time and synchronize start/stop times, I'd buy two of the devices.

-Tom
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
Not a fan of having to manually line up tracks, which is what I think would happen with manually starting each recorder separately.

I posed this question on the Sound Devices facebook page (wish they kept the old forum instead) and the response was that the units might drift over time. Although their suggested method was a little different than what you're suggesting. I think people there were advising me to sync units to each other, without something like a tentacle in between.

If SD were to come out with some sort of firmware update that allowed for a simple way to sync up the devices over long periods of time and synchronize start/stop times, I'd buy two of the devices.

-Tom
If the units are both locked to the same timecode there will be no manual lining up of tracks necessary. You can easily drop all the tracks in a DAW and spot to timecode, and they will be in sync. The start time of the tracks will be different by a second or two because of the time it takes to hit record on the transport, but they will still both lock to timecode and line up just fine after that.

Hooking up word clock eliminates drift between the two recorders as well. Word clock locks the internal clocks of the two recorders together at the sample level in a master-slave relationship, so that there will be no drift. You are correct that if you did not hook up word clock, it is possible and even likely that the recorders will drift over long takes. Word clock will eliminate this.

-Mike
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search