The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices Announces MixPre-10M "For Musicians" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 13 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega75 View Post
Hi Dominic, many thanks for all of this. Re. the loading of files, have you tried creating a few seconds of dummy recording to setup a new song, then replacing that track with your intended file with its name changed to the dummy track file name? That's the procedure I use with the H6 and the Tascam 44WL, more or less.
Thanks to everyone, particularly Dominic, for sharing their ideas and experiences about the MixPre10M. Very helpful in my decision to pull the trigger on one of these -- got it on Friday.

I've just tried this suggestion of renaming the computer file and replacing the dummy track. In short, it doesn't really work.

I was able to get the computer file to play back on the MixPre, but when I tried to add a track over it the playback of the computer file disappeared. I reloaded the project and the computer file was there again but the track I had recorded over it was just noise and displayed a peaking meter.

Also I tried uploading two tracks to the same project this way but only one file would playback.

So while this is disappointing and I do hope they can improve it through firmware, I'm still thrilled with this device.

I searched and searched for something like this and nobody made it until now (closest I could find were old ADAT machines and the Tascam portastudio type standalones.) Many high quality multi-trackers on the market but none that could do overdubs. This unit replaces my Steinberg UR824 audio interface, my Tascam DP008ex pocketstudio, and the small Yamaha MG102c mixer I use for live stuff. I seriously can't think of one thing the other three pieces of gear do for me that this can't do just as well or better.

The best part is that I had the entire machine figured out in 15 minutes (to be fair I had read the manual and watched some videos before purchasing.) But it is really very simple and intuitive.

For me the file loading thing isn't huge; I can't think of a ton of situations where I'd need to get files onto the MixPre. For me getting the computer out of the way when I'm tracking (esp. because that usually that means I'm also playing) is hugely liberating and this accomplishes that brilliantly. I'll still upload to the computer to mix and on the rare occasion that I need to add something to an existing project that was recorded on a different device, I'll just use it in interface mode with the DAW.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Nut

Question for a MixPre-10M owner.

Is it true that the reverb and 'air' functionalities of the 10M can only be used on 48k/16 files? I knew that the 10M was limited to 24/96 (rather than the 24/192 of the 10T) and 8 active input channels (as opposed to 10), but not that the reverb and air functionality could not be used on files above 16/48 resolution. Does anyone know what "Air" means?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search