The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices Announces MixPre-10M "For Musicians" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Musicians Plug-in File Naming!?

Hi guys. The track names on my 10T music projects, using the musicians plug-in, are formatted as yymmdd-hhmmss_#. I would think that the number # should represent the track number, but that is not the case: 3 is track 1; 4 is track 2; 5 is track 3; 6 is track 4; 7 is track 5; 8 is track 6; 9 is track 7; and A is track 8.

Sound devices tech support replied "The track naming system on the 10M is not something that can be altered by the user. The L/R mix tracks are definitely # 1 and # 2. We go to "A" after "9" to stay with single digits. The other option would have been to go to 3-digit #'s. 001, 002, 003....010, 011."

For me it is more logical to match the file names to the track names and let the mix tracks be A & B, or even L & R might be better. Also 2 or 3-digit numbers in file names can be helpful and don’t bother me in the least.

Does anyone else have some insight into this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Seems to me like Sound Devices answered that pretty clearly. You may not agree with the reasoning behind it, but it doesn’t seem like there’s any question that it’s on purpose.

Personally I am all for shorter file names.

-Mike
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Detailed review (July 2018) here: Sound Devices MixPre-10M |
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptair View Post
Hi guys. The track names on my 10T music projects, using the musicians plug-in, are formatted as yymmdd-hhmmss_#. I would think that the number # should represent the track number, but that is not the case: 3 is track 1; 4 is track 2; 5 is track 3; 6 is track 4; 7 is track 5; 8 is track 6; 9 is track 7; and A is track 8.

Sound devices tech support replied "The track naming system on the 10M is not something that can be altered by the user. The L/R mix tracks are definitely # 1 and # 2. We go to "A" after "9" to stay with single digits. The other option would have been to go to 3-digit #'s. 001, 002, 003....010, 011."

For me it is more logical to match the file names to the track names and let the mix tracks be A & B, or even L & R might be better. Also 2 or 3-digit numbers in file names can be helpful and don’t bother me in the least.

Thank you! I was wondering what the naming conventions were for the tracks. They don't seem to cover it (at least in the 6M manual). The only frustrations I've had with mine, are the bloody work arounds. They aren't intuitive. For example: highlighting a bunch of tracks for transfer, takes them off the SD card removing them completely, doing them individually leaves them on the SDcard, is really confusing.

File transfer is incredibly important. For example, is there a way to import more than one file at project start, and can you add after? I haven't figured that one out either.

SD needs to realize they are dealing with people (like me), who are musicians and really dumb when it comes to tech issues..... The info is pretty sketchy.......I really hope the Wingman app will be something that works like a real controller with cue points and good transport features, otherwise I'll have to buy hardware which isn't ideal....It is such a great tool, they have a chance to capture a major slice of the market which I can see expanding, as no one wants to risk their expensive and fragile computer either on gigs, location or even a chaotic recording environment (beverages come to mind....!).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Thank you! I was wondering what the naming conventions were for the tracks. They don't seem to cover it (at least in the 6M manual). The only frustrations I've had with mine, are the bloody work arounds. They aren't intuitive. For example: highlighting a bunch of tracks for transfer, takes them off the SD card removing them completely, doing them individually leaves them on the SDcard, is really confusing.

File transfer is incredibly important. For example, is there a way to import more than one file at project start, and can you add after? I haven't figured that one out either.

SD needs to realize they are dealing with people (like me), who are musicians and really dumb when it comes to tech issues..... The info is pretty sketchy.......I really hope the Wingman app will be something that works like a real controller with cue points and good transport features, otherwise I'll have to buy hardware which isn't ideal....It is such a great tool, they have a chance to capture a major slice of the market which I can see expanding, as no one wants to risk their expensive and fragile computer either on gigs, location or even a chaotic recording environment (beverages come to mind....!).
I don't know how you are copying the files, but there is no reason that Windows Explorer or Mac Finder should be deleting files if you copy multiple tracks.

Dominic
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I don't know how you are copying the files, but there is no reason that Windows Explorer or Mac Finder should be deleting files if you copy multiple tracks.

Dominic
If I highlight multiple tracks and drag them into a folder on my desktop (Mac laptop), they take the files off the card. If I transfer them individually they copy.
Try it and see. Have a MixPre 6M. Not a big deal but was surprising until I figured it out!.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
If I highlight multiple tracks and drag them into a folder on my desktop (Mac laptop), they take the files off the card. If I transfer them individually they copy.
Try it and see. Have a MixPre 6M. Not a big deal but was surprising until I figured it out!.....
Sadly I can't try it at the moment as my 10M is in storage. But that is not how MacOS behaves when copying files from a mounted external drive, unless you have a modifier key pressed (CTRL perhaps?).
The MixPre doesn't know what you're doing, it's just exposing the files as a drive - so I'm afraid something you are doing is resulting in the files being 'moved' (i.e. copied and deleted) rather than simply copied.

Dominic
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Sadly I can't try it at the moment as my 10M is in storage. But that is not how MacOS behaves when copying files from a mounted external drive, unless you have a modifier key pressed (CTRL perhaps?).
The MixPre doesn't know what you're doing, it's just exposing the files as a drive - so I'm afraid something you are doing is resulting in the files being 'moved' (i.e. copied and deleted) rather than simply copied.

Dominic

Bingo! Much smarter than I!.... That's exactly what is happening, since I'm using the control key to highlight a bunch of files and dragging them into a track folder on the desktop. Obviously not using the control key, when grabbing individual files. Freaked me out when I did it, since I'm paranoid about losing tracks but luckily wasn't a session track and stuff I'd recorded. Thx for the insight!

I guess what's bothering me about the SD manual is, most manuals are telling me everything I do (or don't), want to know in excruciating detail. The MixPre manual is almost like an outline, but doesn't go into detail if I need it. The above naming convention is a good example. I really had no idea of where the track numbers were, which is really useful when multi tracking with a gazillion takes, and the numbers made no sense with the letters, etc......the date and time is clever as each timestamp is inherently unique and referenced....Now it makes perfect sense, and it very smart.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Seems to me like Sound Devices answered that pretty clearly. You may not agree with the reasoning behind it, but it doesn’t seem like there’s any question that it’s on purpose.
-Mike
Yes, I should have asked their reasoning behind it. Any guesses?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Yes, I should have asked their reasoning behind it. Any guesses?
No redundancy! Date and time are unique to each track and on a film set, can be logged as a point of reference, or in the field. The biggest thing is not to lose a take, so being backed up is key which the recorder does automatically. The track numbers going to alphabet eliminates confusion beyond 9 tracks, as a shorthand.

I've found the date thing useful, as if I take a break or go back another day, works to separate the takes quickly into sessions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Yes. This is the way our audio file track layout works for the TV/Film industry where the mix tracks L and R are expected on tracks 1 and 2. We use the same structure in the MixPres. Theoretically it could be changed although not a trivial task as you may think.

Paul
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

You can only import when creating the new project. You can import up to 12 tracks in a single polyphonic wav file in this single import step. A polyphonic file (an industry standard wav file that contains multiple tracks within a single file) can be exported from any DAW.

best

Paul
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
Yes. This is the way our audio file track layout works for the TV/Film industry where the mix tracks L and R are expected on tracks 1 and 2. We use the same structure in the MixPres. Theoretically it could be changed although not a trivial task as you may think.

Paul
Thanks Paul. It's interesting to know that it comes from the TV/film industry.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Thanks Paul. It's interesting to know that it comes from the TV/film industry.
Sound Design are THE location recorders, due to build quality and sound. Much like Nagras were a standard. The Mix PreM series is a what I've been waiting for. Film guys love Sound Devices because they have really natural sound, and a hardware limiter. They have an impressive background and at this price point, is insane value (don't tell anyone!).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search