The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices Announces MixPre-10M "For Musicians" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
I don't quite follow you: as per the Musician Plug-in manual (more up-to-date) you need to Tap Project > New > Music > Import Recording. I normally copy from my PC to the root directory of the SD card, but I think you can put them in any folder.

Cheers,

Roland
Hey Roland, my problem is when I press Import Recording, it sends me to a blank screen. Even when I put music files in the song folder, on my Mac, it doesn’t see them.

Thx for all your advice, I hope I’m missing something obvious. As a fallback I can record from USB but importing a file is much better!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Hey Roland, my problem is when I press Import Recording, it sends me to a blank screen. Even when I put music files in the song folder, on my Mac, it doesn’t see them.

Thx for all your advice, I hope I’m missing something obvious. As a fallback I can record from USB but importing a file is much better!
Have you

i) tried just putting the polywav file in the root directory of the SD card

ii) checked that you have created a polywav file properly

Can't think of anything else, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Have you

i) tried just putting the polywav file in the root directory of the SD card

ii) checked that you have created a polywav file properly

Can't think of anything else, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Roland
Quick question, by root directory, that would be the song folder on the SD card? That I have done, and it may be a problem they are doing a fix dor. Thanks for your patience and help!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quick question, by root directory, that would be the song folder on the SD card? That I have done, and it may be a problem they are doing a fix dor. Thanks for your patience and help!
No, the root directory means at root level (not within a folder) of - here - the SD memory card. Same as you do for firmware updates.

Not sure what you mean by 'song folder' (and SD don't use that term either): do you mean an audio project folder (which should work fine too)?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, the root directory means at root level (not within a folder) of - here - the SD memory card. Same as you do for firmware updates.

Not sure what you mean by 'song folder' (and SD don't use that term either): do you mean an audio project folder (which should work fine too)?

Cheers,

Roland
Yes! Sorry for my imprecise terminology!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Cheers,

Roland
Just a quick FYI. The response I had gotten from Sean at SD. He has been all over my questions and support has been fantastic:

"Yes, you should be able to import .wav files from a Mac, however, there is a known issue with "non-native file support" in the current firmware version. My apologies for the inconvenience. Our team is currently working on a solution, which will be made available in a future firmware release. If you have registered your MixPre-6 with us, you should receive an email notification when it becomes available.

As a workaround during the interim, please play the audio files you wish to import from your computer and record them on a pair of Audio Tracks by setting the Inputs to USB 1 & 2.

After the firmware is released, here is how to import the file:

1. Transfer the desired audio file to the MixPre-3's SD Card
2. Create a New Music Project
3. When the next page appears, select Import Recording (Lower Right button)
4. Select the file and depress the headphone encoder to Import

That's it! The selected track will appear on Tracks 1 & 2 of the MixPre-6."
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just a quick FYI. The response I had gotten from Sean at SD. He has been all over my questions and support has been fantastic:

"Yes, you should be able to import .wav files from a Mac, however, there is a known issue with "non-native file support" in the current firmware version. My apologies for the inconvenience. Our team is currently working on a solution, which will be made available in a future firmware release. If you have registered your MixPre-6 with us, you should receive an email notification when it becomes available.

As a workaround during the interim, please play the audio files you wish to import from your computer and record them on a pair of Audio Tracks by setting the Inputs to USB 1 & 2.

After the firmware is released, here is how to import the file:

1. Transfer the desired audio file to the MixPre-3's SD Card
2. Create a New Music Project
3. When the next page appears, select Import Recording (Lower Right button)
4. Select the file and depress the headphone encoder to Import

That's it! The selected track will appear on Tracks 1 & 2 of the MixPre-6."
OK. Not sure exactly what your problem/the known issue relates to though: all Mixpre-6s, or the use of Macs? If the former, what about the Mixpre-6M or the Mixpre-6 with the Musician plug-in? Uploading a polywav file (with many more than the 2 tracks described in your email from SD: I routinely upload a 10-track backing for overdubbing) to my Mixpre-3 with the Musician plug-in works flawlessly.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
OK. Not sure exactly what your problem/the known issue relates to though: all Mixpre-6s, or the use of Macs? If the former, what about the Mixpre-6M or the Mixpre-6 with the Musician plug-in? Uploading a polywav file (with many more than the 2 tracks described in your email from SD: I routinely upload a 10-track backing for overdubbing) to my Mixpre-3 with the Musician plug-in works flawlessly.

Cheers,

Roland
I think it's with the MixPre6M, which is what I have. There may be a missing piece which the software allows on the non M versions. Otherwise a very impressive unit and I see our sound guys use them almost exclusively on location. Thx Roland!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Ok I am officially a dumbass, but a happy one! The root directory is outside project folders. I was thinking to put files in the song folder, but need to import them or the device doesn’t see them.

I hope this is helpful for others. Thanks guys for helping. Was trying everything but the right thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok I am officially a dumbass, but a happy one! The root directory is outside project folders. I was thinking to put files in the song folder, but need to import them or the device doesn’t see them.

I hope this is helpful for others. Thanks guys for helping. Was trying everything but the right thing.
So it is now working as it should (and as, er, described)? If so, great!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So it is now working as it should (and as, er, described)? If so, great!

Cheers,

Roland
Yep! Thx for your help Roland. I'm totally not technical and the manual is very sparse. Your help has been great from a user perspective....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yep! Thx for your help Roland. I'm totally not technical and the manual is very sparse. Your help has been great from a user perspective....
Not sure I helped much, if at all, but glad you are sorted anyway.

Yes, SD manuals aren't the most detailed and with different products (and users) now - not least the M series of Mixpre recorders - perhaps they will think of expanding them. At least, as I have just noticed, they have updated the manuals for the Mixpre-series at last to reflect the various firmware updates and the Musician plug-in.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not sure I helped much, if at all, but glad you are sorted anyway.

Yes, SD manuals aren't the most detailed and with different products (and users) now - not least the M series of Mixpre recorders - perhaps they will think of expanding them. At least, as I have just noticed, they have updated the manuals for the Mixpre-series at last to reflect the various firmware updates and the Musician plug-in.

Cheers,

Roland
Yeah they need a really dumbed down version for people like me. I need a step by step and not a breezy overview. A "root directory" means nothing to me, so I was putting audio files in the appropriate song folders. I also didn't realize to access tracks you need to turn the faders off then on with tracks beyond 6.

They obviously had to do some work arounds to fit the small packages. You are correct that Musicians are a totally different group.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

From SD newsletter:
In the spotlight is the upcoming, highly anticipated MixPre version 3.00 firmware, which adds:

1. Support for a new Ambisonics plugin for MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T
2. Full MixPre Series integration support for four 3rd-party USB fader controllers
3. Wireless remote transport control & monitoring of M models & Musician plugin via Wingman App on iOS &/or Android mobile devices

More here, including which specific fader controller will be supported.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Would anyone have any scoop on whether SD will be adding more effects to the mixing software of these? The 3M unit interests me a great deal, but i would need more fx or the ability to route some external ones into the mixer somehow to make this work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Would anyone have any scoop on whether SD will be adding more effects to the mixing software of these? The 3M unit interests me a great deal, but i would need more fx or the ability to route some external ones into the mixer somehow to make this work.
It's a good question; I think the biggest thing missing for someone who wants to use the M-models (or the Musicians plugin) as an alternative to a DAW is EQ. There are low-cut filters but that's about it. I'm skeptical that there would be any useful way to add EQ to the Touchmix itself; I think Sound Devices is assuming that if you want to do EQ you're going to use the ISO tracks and process them in a DAW. I suppose they could implement some rudimentary low-mid-high EQ but not parametric, but we'll see.

I'm not sure adding EQ or other effects is really in keeping with the vision for these products, however: they're designed to be easy for musicians to use to record demos and tracks for streaming online without having to record into a DAW. The more features and complexity you add, the more you lose that simplicity (and let's face it, the tiny interface on the Touchmix is less usable than a DAW on a big monitor). If you add much of what's available in a DAW, a DAW becomes more attractive than the Touchmix simply because it's more efficient to navigate and control.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I doubt if anyone has reliable information other than that announced by Sound Devices themselves about future firmware additions.

Personally, I find the reverb effect useful for the performer's monitoring when using the Mixpre-3 (with the Musician plug-in, so in 3M mode) for overdubbing, but do all actual mixing and applying of final effects in a DAW. Even with a few more effects on board, I can't see the attraction of using a Mixpre-3/6/10M for all work on a song, and I have not rendered a stereo mix on mine: it just seems very fiddly (not to say limiting) to go entirely DAW-less. OK, in extremis on the road, sans computer, it might be desirable for some reason, but, in this case, your interest in external effects (even if it were possible) implies that such a minimalist approach isn't the aim. Perhaps you could expand on what you are trying to do?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
If you add much of what's available in a DAW, a DAW becomes more attractive than the Touchmix simply because it's more efficient to navigate and control.
Ah, but not at all what I meant. I'm really only talking about a simple 3 band eq and some tape delay, etc. Maybe also some basic compression on the final stereo mixdown. I'm certainly not talking about any features that would make this a full blown daw in terms of editing or what have you. I'm just saying it would be nice to have a few more effects in case someone would actually choose to use it as an all in 1 solution. I certainly would.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This, in my opinion, would be what would take the 10M and 10T, for example, over the edge to be considered a possible replacement for a small PA mixer in a band rehearsal or smaller gig environment. EQ is the glaring thing that is missing; then compression. I own the 10T, and if it had these features, it would definitely take it to another level and could be utilized in many different scenarios.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even with a few more effects on board, I can't see the attraction of using a Mixpre-3/6/10M for all work on a song, and I have not rendered a stereo mix on mine: it just seems very fiddly (not to say limiting) to go entirely DAW-less.
That's actually what I've been looking for in a digital recorder for quite some time, so this is indeed quite atractive to me, it just needs a few extra tiny bits. My music has nothing to do with the way things are done today so, a few simple good sounding effects (a couple more than what's already there) adding to the features that are already there, and I'd be quite happy to have it be the only thing i'd use recording wise.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's actually what I've been looking for in a digital recorder for quite some time, so this is indeed quite atractive to me, it just needs a few extra tiny bits. My music has nothing to do with the way things are done today so, a few simple good sounding effects (a couple more than what's already there) adding to the features that are already there, and I'd be quite happy to have it be the only thing i'd use recording wise.
I have the QSC Touchmix 8, which is almost-but-not-quite the perfect solution for this. It is designed as a mixer for live music, but it records pre-fader ISO tracks to an SSD or hard disk. It has a good set of effects, parametric EQ and RTA, etc. What it doesn't have is preamps of the quality you'll find in the MixPre (they're good but not as good), nor does it run on batteries. And it's not as portable, but not huge: roughly as large as a 17" laptop.

You can do overdubs and multitracking on the Touchmix and render a stereo file just like you can on the MixPre M-series recorders (or the others using the Musicians plugin). It only records at 44.1 or 48 kHz. See YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
I have the QSC Touchmix 8, which is almost-but-not-quite the perfect solution for this. It is designed as a mixer for live music, but it records pre-fader ISO tracks to an SSD or hard disk. It has a good set of effects, parametric EQ and RTA, etc. What it doesn't have is preamps of the quality you'll find in the MixPre (they're good but not as good), nor does it run on batteries. And it's not as portable, but not huge: roughly as large as a 17" laptop.

You can do overdubs and multitracking on the Touchmix and render a stereo file just like you can on the MixPre M-series recorders (or the others using the Musicians plugin). It only records at 44.1 or 48 kHz. See YouTube
Thanks Bradh, looks a tad bigger than what I'm looking for, but seems like a nice unit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

And cheaper - and with real linear faders - there is the compact Zoom R8: 2 rather than 3 inputs (i.e. compared to the 3M) and, of course, still further away from the SD preamp quality!

What will be interesting is to see how the imminent new Mixpre-series firmware - allowing use of the 3rd-party USB fader controllers (such as the Korg Nanokontrol2) - helps with such use of the 3M/6M/10M. Although it doesn't solve the effects requests above, it should ease multitracking with the 3M in particular.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Really need an idiots guide to heow the Mix /Pre6M works. For example, video shows how to import from a DAW but once a project is creared, how do you do that? working with Q points, are these able to sync with project easily? How does Minitor actually work? If it's turm\ned off what happens with recording? Hou do you clean up cues easily, or trash takes?

I think I've figured most of these questions, but the manual is really assuming someone understands hoW these devices work. There are a lot of work arounds to make these challenger a true stand alone, and I need a step by step, beginers ignorant mode to get me through a session. I noticed for instance there' a way to loop cue points but how to switch out of that mode, isn't really clear. Please SD Peolpe, take a lowest common denominator person like my self and explain each step to doing a function. I can't be guessing when I have a band in and hoping I don't mix tracks be missing a Buttton push.... There is a logical workflow but can be a mess if you don't understand it perfectly going into a session.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Really need an idiots guide to heow the Mix /Pre6M works.
This would be a good candidate for training videos on Lynda.com or even Ripple Training. There's a reasonably useful overview at Transom.org (this doesn't describe the M model or Musician's plugin, though); this is aimed more at field recordists (Transom is for public radio journalists): Sound Devices MixPre User's Guide - Transom

Sound Devices has posted a few videos of their own, but I haven't found most of them very useful. I agree that a "for total newbies" training series would be really useful, assuming zero knowledge of audio recording.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The "vocal air" effect only works on one channel at a time which makes me think that there maybe limited processing power to support more effects. 3 band parametric (or not) EQ would be phenomenal and I would certainly use it if they added it. On the other hand, not having it for tracking forces one to take a bit more time with mic choice/placement.

I agree that the support literature is a little lacking, but I have been on the phone with SD a handful of times now and I will say that it's the best support I've ever experienced with any company. They've spent 45 minutes on the phone with me on more than one occasion and every bug I've reported they've taken the time to verify and respond to directly. If you have a question about how to use it I'd say don't hesitate to give them a call and ask.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Support is great!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Any suggestion on a wireless keyboard that will work with it??? I’ve tried 2 wireless and 1 wired and none have worked yet.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by branbolio View Post
Any suggestion on a wireless keyboard that will work with it??? I’ve tried 2 wireless and 1 wired and none have worked yet.
I'm using a wireless mini keyboard together with a wireless 2.4GHz USB dongle which simulates a keyboard.

https://www.dustin.se/product/5011045846/ultra-slim

I guess other keyboards which uses the same kind of keyboard simulation wireless dongle works as well.
Old 4 days ago
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search