The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for recorder for students; chamber music Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Maniac

Recommendations for recorder for students; chamber music

Hi Folks,

Some Uni students asked for advice on buying an audio recorder to record their chamber groups. I’m not currently up on the latest all-in-one stereo devices other than owning a couple of Zoom devices for doing quick interviews.

Anyone have recommendations on the current crop of Zoom/Tascam etc devices? It would be good if the units could be set with AGC disengaged etc. And remembering that we’re talking student budget.

Regards,

Haigbabe
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
Hi Folks,

Some Uni students asked for advice on buying an audio recorder to record their chamber groups. I’m not currently up on the latest all-in-one stereo devices other than owning a couple of Zoom devices for doing quick interviews.

Anyone have recommendations on the current crop of Zoom/Tascam etc devices? It would be good if the units could be set with AGC disengaged etc. And remembering that we’re talking student budget.

Regards,

Haigbabe
Isn't there some video dept. where students could get the required equipment or ask someone to perform the recording?

Here universities typically have own equipment for in-house productions, even large hospitals do and some have fairly good stuff (often better than the staff but that's another story ).

Not sure if using handheld recorders with internal mics is a good idea for such task, the location pros will be able to answer in detail.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

most any musicians use their cell phones if it's for rehershals and a tascam or zoom if it's somewhat more ambitious...
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Maniac

Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Sort of a dearth of decent two track handheld recorders in a student price range after Sony discontinued the M10 and Roland discontinued the R-05. There is the Tascam Dr-100mkiii, but that is @ $400. The soon to be released Roland R-07 looks very promising though. Mid April and @$230.

Roland - R-07 | High Resolution Audio Recorder

Last edited by Pohaku; 24th February 2018 at 09:35 PM..
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

At the budget end, my first choice would be the Olympus LS-100

Ergonomics are good, decent built-in mics and XLRs with phantom power for external mics.

Price - just over £250 in the UK.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Zoom H5 I've been working with for an organizational podcast. No one's going to mistake the results for a Schoeps pair through high-end preamps, but the sound isn't terrible. And it has XLR inputs for external mics if you want to use them.

I guess a lot depends on what your students are planning to do with the recordings.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear
Haig, just get them to whack one of these on top of their phone, install the free app...done

$150-$180 in Aust, Aust made too: RODE Microphones - i-XY

Remind them that, when they can afford to, hire a recording engineer who will make them sound 5x better than the phone/iXY does !
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I don't have one of these, but a student on a budget who already has an Iphone might consider....MV88 iOS Digital Stereo Condenser Microphone | Shure Americas

Students seem to do everything else on their phones.
It's 48kHz only with no other option - that alone would put me off.

Personally I record 24/44.1 on a handheld's mics or 24/96 if I use external mics.

I have never recorded at 48kHz which is really only needed for video work.

Last edited by John Willett; 25th February 2018 at 05:56 PM..
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Haig, just get them to whack one of these on top of their phone, install the free app...done

$150-$180 in Aust, Aust made too: RODE Microphones - i-XY

Remind them that, when they can afford to, hire a recording engineer who will make them sound 5x better than the phone/iXY does !
Looks better than the Shure in that it can record at 24/96 - but it has a high noise floor at 18dB (compared to mics like the Neumann TLM 103 and Gefell M930 which have a noise floor of just 7dB).

Personally I am worried about these iPhone plug-on mics as it's a lot of bulk on a small connector and, if knocked, could damage the 'phone or the mics.

I much prefer a separate dedicated recorder - some can be had for as low as about £100; but, as I said, my favourite would be the Olympus LS-100 at just c. £250
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear
Good observations.
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you everyone for some excellent suggestions.

The students will also be shooting video. Any one-device suggestions are welcome on this.

Best wishes,

Haig
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear
generally, canon camcorders still have 1\8 mic inputs if they want to use external mics. another option would be a used panasonic g6 with the 14-42Ii kit lens. also has mic input and no 29 minute recording limit.

either option would allow them to use something like the movo vrx10gy mic. you can also find cheap 110v power adapters on ebay so battery life isnt a problem.
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The students will also be shooting video. Any one-device suggestions are welcome on this
video? moving target, so:

tascam dr-v1hd
zoom q4

or any cell phone with external mics...
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you everyone for some excellent suggestions.

The students will also be shooting video. Any one-device suggestions are welcome on this.

Best wishes,

Haig
An iPhone/iPad + Shure MOTIV MV88 + the new ShurePlus MOTIVE Video app (Free) = Audio/Video/AGS disengaged/"one" device/$150 USD (assuming the iOS device is already owned.)

Shure MOTIV MV88 MV88 iOS Digital Stereo Condenser Microphone | Shure Americas
ShurePlus MOTIVE Video App ShurePlus MOTIV Video Mobile Video App | Shure Americas
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Maniac

I appreciate the time people have taken to reply, thank you.

This gives me a good starting point.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Best wishes,

Haigbabe
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear
^interesting....

$159 USD with available 1/8 mic input for external mics if the internal mics aren't sufficient and can be USB powered for longer run times. Zoom Q2n Handy Video Recorder ZQ2N B&H Photo Video

By comparison, an audio only Tascam DR-05 is $99.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Head
I'll be doing a chamber recording using a Zoom H6 this weekend and I'd be happy to share the outcome. I do not plan on using the built in mics though I am confident they could get the job done.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks folks, really appreciate the suggestions.

Any results from Govier966 welcome of course.

Haigbabe
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
Sort of a dearth of decent two track handheld recorders in a student price range after Sony discontinued the M10 and Roland discontinued the R-05. There is the Tascam Dr-100mkiii, but that is @ $400. The soon to be released Roland R-07 looks very promising though. Mid April and @$230.

Roland - R-07 | High Resolution Audio Recorder

Firsts comparisons.
YouTube
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

No separate line in apparently. Need to see how well it works fed from a preamp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search