The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Exclamation Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018

I'm pleased to announce the opening for a Recording Engineer at "The President's Own" United States Marine Band. The position combines audio recording, live sound reinforcement, and video production. The Band has a core of ~150 musicians working together to form the band, orchestra, chamber ensembles, jazz ensembles, soloists, etc. They perform in many venues around DC and also tour for one month every year. For information:

Recording Engineer Vacancy - Description and Application
United States Marine Band - Career Information
Recording Engineer Ad - Facebook Post

FAQs
Due Date - All materials should be sent electronically using a cloud or web service to [email protected] by April 6.
Age Limits - Current regulations authorize enlistment between ages 17 and 28. Age waivers may be granted in some cases; however the maximum age for which waivers may be granted to those with no prior military service is 34.
Recruit Training - Those selected for "The President's Own" are exempt from recruit training and are appointed to the rank of Staff Sergeant/paygrade E-6 under a contract "for duty with the U.S. Marine Band only."
Application Process - Applicants will be contacted after the requested material has been received by the Marine Band. Qualified applicants will take part in a phone interview that will take place in late April 2018. Those who advance to the next round will be notified by May 11, 2018 and invited to an interview that will take place in early June, 2018 at Marine Barracks in Washington, D.C. Applicants are responsible for all of their own travel expenses.
Experience - The Band auditions for all positions, which means your ears and strengths will set you apart, not your resume or past positions. Applicants who bring serious chops, musical sensibilities, broad technical skills (esp. including video), and maturity are likely to stand out. You'll be working alongside subject matter experts, both inside and outside the Recording Lab. Previous successful applicants have ranged from a new college graduates to a seasoned engineers with years of experience recording bands, designing systems, and managing projects.

Take a look at the current Recording Lab here: Marine Band - Recording Lab
Attached Thumbnails
Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018-usmb-recordingengineer-2018.jpg   Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018-usmb-recordingengineer-2018-1.jpg   Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018-usmb-recordingengineer-2018-2.jpg   Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018-usmb-recordingengineer-2018-3.jpg   Job Opening: Recording Engineer - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band - 2018-usmb-recordingengineer-2018-4.jpg  

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Man, if only I were 10 years younger and 80lbs lighter.

Of course if that were the case then I wouldn't have the experience and mixing chops to get the job yet either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Of course if that were the case then I wouldn't have the experience and mixing chops to get the job yet either.
I imagine it will be hard to find individuals at that age range with professional large classical ensemble recording and Pyramix or Sequoia experience. Oh well. I aged out a long time ago as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Nice gig for the one who gets it ! I agree the age limit is tough, especially as it's a 'non-combatant' one, and presumably you're allowed to 'age in the role', but that's military regulations for you !

It probably ensures the incumbent's hearing will be reasonably extended in the HF range, if they stay away from firearms drills !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I imagine it will be hard to find individuals at that age range with professional large classical ensemble recording and Pyramix or Sequoia experience. Oh well. I aged out a long time ago as well.
Not hard. There are dozens of universities and Summer music festivals that provide the opportunity to record and broadcast classical musicians of the highest caliber. These are usually staffed or interned by young people.

There is also an AES competition for classical recordings by students; you'll find a sampling of the experienced winners here: Winners of AES Student Recording Competition at 143rd AES Convention, New York >> Student Recording Competition AT 143RD AES CONVENTION

Aspen, Banff, Tanglewood, Ozarks, Miami, McGill, Peabody, IU, CIM, etc. Someone's gotta record the conservatory orchestra.

The Marine Band is the top military band, so a good opp if that's what you like to do, with all armed service benefits too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BIG QUESTION...Do you have to get a "white side wall" hair cut? <GRIN>

I remember those from my Army days...not fun!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lightbulb

You get the uniform... and the haircut!

The last four (or more?) engineers selected for this position did not know Sequoia (the in-house DAW) but brought other experience to the table. For the right candidate, learning a new board or a new piece of software is hardly a big deal. But if you know and understand source-destination editing, you might be headed in the right direction. The samples and audition are the most important part.

The Marine Band isn't top-secret, so if you want to tour the facility, get in touch with me or GySgt Jeffrey Higgs ([email protected]) to arrange a tour when you are in DC. I'm also happy to answer questions about the job.

Last edited by NorseHorse; 1 week ago at 03:39 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

When are you guys releasing your 2018 tour schedule?

Any chance you'll be coming to Tulsa, Oklahoma? Last time we had you at my building was 5 or 6 years ago, iirc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Man, if only I were 10 years younger and 80lbs lighter.

Ah yes, perspective. Thanks for making me laugh!

fb
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

OK, I'm game. But only if Chris Rose is still there
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search