The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Grammy Congrats; Did I miss it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Grammy Congrats; Did I miss it?

Hello Slutz,

I didn’t see a dedicated thread, so I wanted to publicly say congrats to Mark for his win with Pittsburgh! Doubly cool that he shared some of his setup photos from that hall...So if you want a Grammy, just copy exactly what you see in those photos ;-)

Any other winners/nominees on here?

I listened to a lot of the nominees (on a road trip, in a Prius, so... ) but it was great to see lots of Soundmirror, a bit of Tritonus and Polyhymnia (sadly I didn’t have a surround room so SL and 2L didn’t get a good listen), and some I didn’t recognize but are now on my radar. It was a good year :-)

Congrats to all involved. Love you guys!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Excellent, excellent ! Best engineered Grammy to Mark Donohue is hailed here. Congratulations.

I want there to be real benefit for people winning these
awards. Winning a Grammy in pop music immediately results in boosted record sales starting the nite of the broadcast. Classical Grammy wins are a little different.

I hope that engineers and producers who win will follow my lead and raise their rates after their win. Almost no one does it. I think that they should especially since some are still working according to a 1992 rate schedule.

Classical Grammy nominations are very America-centric and leave out much of the best work of the year being done by European independent labels.

Still our guys are doing great work. Glad that some of them are here on GS.

Last edited by Plush; 3 weeks ago at 04:54 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
...Classical Grammy nominations are very America-centric and leave out much of the best work of the year being done by European independent labels.
Indeed. That is why I was so pleased to see Barbara Hannigan, a Canadian soprano born and raised in my hometown, win the Grammy for Best Classical Solo Vocal Album (Crazy Girl Crazy -Alpha Classics, Paris). Recorded in the Netherlands at Muziekcentrum van de Omroep by Guido Tichelman and Bastiaan Kuijt. I don't know if either of these gentlemen frequent GS...but there's lots of talent in the low countries, as has been demonstrated by some of the usual suspects here on Remote Possibilities

Edit: Oh, and kudos to Mark for his win, of course!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Recorded in the Netherlands at Muziekcentrum van de Omroep by Guido Tichelman and Bastiaan Kuijt. I don't know if either of these gentlemen frequent GS...but there's lots of talent in the low countries, as has been demonstrated by some of the usual suspects here on Remote Possibilities

I worked with Guido a few years ago when he came out to Australia to record an album for Island quartet. A true professional and thoroughly deserving of the Grammy kudos...I hope he comes on here someday !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Who were the classical Grammy winners this year?

Never mind, I found the list. Congrats to Mark. Also looks like his recording won best classical performance for the orchestra also.

I'm curious how those two are different? I mean mean I know how they are different, but how is the engineering judged differently from the performance?
Old 3 weeks ago
Congratulations to Mark and the other winners!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Congratulations, Mark! I am so happy for you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Sorry for the delay in responding...It's been a crazy couple of weeks of recording and post production deadlines....
I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the congratulations for the Grammy win. As I've said before, I'm unbelievably lucky to be able to work with musicians of the highest caliber that also see the value in making good quality recordings and not just cheap ones. These are collaborations and without the amazing performances that these musicians give, everything we do would all be for naught.

As to raising our rates...We're already at the top of the price continuum, but as Hudson said, we're all just north of what we were charging per day in 1992...But in 1992 were were working for record companies that had budgets and sold product...According to inflation calculators, we're still about $1k a day short of where we should be WRT inflation...Maybe next year.
Also, in 1992, it took a kit of gear that cost about $500k to do a large opera (2x 3324/48, studer mixers, stc...). Today it costs about $200k for twice as many tracks...

All the best,
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Well done, Mark...hearty congratulations to you and your team!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Congratulations Mark Donahue. Well deserved
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Indeed. That is why I was so pleased to see Barbara Hannigan, a Canadian soprano born and raised in my hometown, win the Grammy for Best Classical Solo Vocal Album (Crazy Girl Crazy -Alpha Classics, Paris). Recorded in the Netherlands at Muziekcentrum van de Omroep by Guido Tichelman and Bastiaan Kuijt. I don't know if either of these gentlemen frequent GS...but there's lots of talent in the low countries, as has been demonstrated by some of the usual suspects here on Remote Possibilities

Just as a footnote, don't forget that Barbara Hannigan conducted the orchestra as well as sang the lead on the CD recording...now that's what I call a Producer !

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Barbara Hannigan records her first album as singer and conductor! | Outhere Music

Last edited by studer58; 2 days ago at 10:26 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I cannot agree that rates should not be raised. It is my opinion that REAL benefit needs to come from prestigious awards.

Re-orient the client to recognize taste and judgement and skill.

It doesn’t matter what one considers top of the market rates since everything goes up in price.

Our services should go up as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search