The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording a brass band in a cathedral Condenser Microphones
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

As mentioned earlier, the seating arrangement for a brass band makes a simple stereo pair very difficult to implement successfully in terms of image, balance and reverberant field, unless you are very lucky with the space you are recording in. A little spot miking can make a huge difference and not be too much compromise.
Old 25th March 2018
Hope you will upload at least a sample of your recordings. I don't know if you have already done the recording, but I could make one suggestion. Have a look at YouTube videos of brass band recordings. You can often see where the mics are positioned. Then you can get a rough idea of what might work in your setting by listening to what they recorded. I looked at a few, and it seems to be generally spaced pairs over the band, in front of the conductor. I guess in such a case omnis are being used. By the way, I see the same for great symphonies. I liked the recordings you made at Xmas, although they are very wet.

Here was one I liked:
YouTube

Last edited by Early21; 25th March 2018 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: added a clip
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early21 View Post
Hope you will upload at least a sample of your recordings. I don't know if you have already done the recording, but I could make one suggestion. Have a look at YouTube videos of brass band recordings. You can often see where the mics are positioned. Then you can get a rough idea of what might work in your setting by listening to what they recorded. I looked at a few, and it seems to be generally spaced pairs over the band, in front of the conductor. I guess in such a case omnis are being used. By the way, I see the same for great symphonies. I liked the recordings you made at Xmas, although they are very wet.

Here was one I liked:
YouTube
Just a word of caution...that sounds like the studio recording (that was done by Egon IIRC) whereas the photo is a generic from the European Championships which were held in the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow in 2004...which was recorded by someone else for a dvd release so what you’re seeing isn’t necessarily what you’re hearing....granted, David and YBS won that contest with that piece the same year...but even so....
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guosh View Post
Recording a brass band in a cathedral
Not sure what constitutes a cathedral in Singapore, but here in Europe the space in your photo looks more like a small/medium size, low-ceiling church.

Spare a thought for those of us struggling with 100m Gothic dome heights and 13 second reverb times!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search